Combat shirts are ace.

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Æternaeon

Combat shirts are ace.

Post by Æternaeon » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:45 am

We're talking along the lines of this:
http://assets.cat5.com/images/catalog/6 ... lticam.jpg

They're tight fitting, silent, have built in padding around the elbows and of course can help you blend in depending on the pattern used. They're not bulky like normal camo blouses so you can easily slip an indiscreet jacket over one at night if that's your game and even run around with the front of it open without raising a brow. They've got well designed bicep pockets on each side for smaller equipment too. The compression fitting "normal" part of the shirt means minimal material rubbing together when you move and when it does rub, it's quiet. It also helps to quiet the sound of other things you might be wearing over the top of it. A cotton-lined vest or belt will make zero sound against it.

The problem here is money. This example sets you back almost $200 if you pay full price, I didn't pay that for mine because I got a special deal and neither should you. It's not THAT good and doesn't pay itself off, and I also don't think it's necessary to have these specs for stealth ops. The solution is replicas. There are companies out there who make a replica ACS and I will see about getting some links up in the next couple of days for those interested.
Sacrifice the body, not the heart.

Xanatos

Re: Combat shirts are ace.

Post by Xanatos » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:11 am

I've considered getting one of these, but am unsure about the uncamouflaged torso. I'm afraid it would stand out at night.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Æternaeon

Post by Æternaeon » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:22 am

Mine is an olive color and it has its own "pattern" of a sort just from how they did the material, it blends in pretty well. The urban patterns tend to also have a decent dark gray shade to this section. It's a set back from full camo, but in my opinion the increased mobility while still retaining the toughness of a regular blouse is worth it.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:31 am

Hmm... seems they do make full-camo versions. I do like the look of this one: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-nf1cJu323KA/T ... +Fist1.jpg
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:32 pm

I hate to say it, because you guys know how much I hate "cheap" or "budget" gear, but I have several Propper brand combat shirts. They seem to run around $60 USD each, and as far as budget gear goes they work pretty well. They're obviously not Gucci gear, but they've held up pretty well to the past year's worth of wear and tear. I'd take one over a BDU/ACU style top any day.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Æternaeon

Post by Æternaeon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:13 am

The thing with most night ops though is that you're not dealing with the harsh conditions of a battlefield day in and day out. Typically, you come back home the same night. If anything happens like your shirt is torn in half, you are home. You can wear a different one the next time. The cheaper clothing will still camouflage you, can be reasonably tough and comfortable, and costs far less which makes it accessible for more people. The genuine article is better, sure, but not necessary and really doesn't offer any tangible difference on ops. Me, I just happened to have one I bought for rock bottom and tried it out. If I were starting with nothing I'd have no issue buying a replica instead, no sense in shelling out extra coin for something you won't need.

DHGate seems to have these available on their site through various vendors if you're foreign market savvy. I imagine most other outlets that offer ACM goods should also carry them, it's just a matter of who saves you the most money.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:01 am

I prefer cheaper/second-hand combat attire myself, although with something like a combat shirt I'm afraid the torso would lose its elasticity if bought second-hand. Especially if the previous owner was a 24 stone lardarse from Essex. Personally I don't really care about the brand or price tag, as long as whatever I'm buying works.

Roxas

Post by Roxas » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:24 am

Ghost wrote:I hate to say it, because you guys know how much I hate "cheap" or "budget" gear, but I have several Propper brand combat shirts. They seem to run around $60 USD each, and as far as budget gear goes they work pretty well. They're obviously not Gucci gear, but they've held up pretty well to the past year's worth of wear and tear. I'd take one over a BDU/ACU style top any day.
it will get the task at hand done for what we usually need/do i have the same. very durable. very capable shirt. but it is very loud when it rubs against its self,which it does alot. this is why i am trading it off for a black compression shirt (long sleeve) and then put a lighter shirt of the same camouflage over the black compression shirt. that way i am not going to feel ive lost, but in fact gained something from it.

pic related the new shirt over the black compression shirt
Attachments
5960.jpg
The problem with trying to be the bad guy, is that there is always someone worse

Æternaeon

Post by Æternaeon » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:39 am

Hmm, I wonder if there's a material difference between brands. Mine is completely silent against itself. Like the idea of a compression shirt plus t-shirt, though. Hell in my mind I'd take a regular camouflage long sleeve over the standard BDU/ACU/etc. style shirt just because they fit closer and are more quiet than those. But all the same, I don't have any problem moving in those either. They're perfectly acceptable. It's just that my combat shirt seems to do it best. Mine's a Massif for what it's worth.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:08 am

I typically wear a tight grey longsleeve with a black t-shirt on top. The holes in the longsleeve & tee cancel each other out, and the extra padding on the back makes rolling a bit more comfortable (also keeps the core of the body warm). It's a pretty noiseless combo.

Roxas

Post by Roxas » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:44 pm

Æternaeon wrote:Hmm, I wonder if there's a material difference between brands. Mine is completely silent against itself.
there is a slight difference from what is available

i have rip-stop and then there is twill fabric

i do not own anything twill only rip-stop does anybody own anything twill?
The problem with trying to be the bad guy, is that there is always someone worse

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:44 pm

Stick to cotton. Can't go wrong with cotton.

Roxas

Post by Roxas » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:15 am

Xanatos wrote:Stick to cotton. Can't go wrong with cotton.
i respectfully disagree.
cotton is awful in rain. and in certain conditions you can get hypothermia

the rain and snow isn't the best for cotton. and i can say with confidence i think some of us take the rain as a gift from the night mother to help us during our operation the snow i say is a curse and i still cannot think of a way to go through the snow without leaving a trail.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:01 am

I meant in terms of stealth and comfort. Cotton is quiet, comfortable, durable and doesn't shine. And is cheap.

Æternaeon

Post by Æternaeon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:22 am

Cotton definitely has a place, fine cottons are among the most silent materials you can get. And because it's cheap, if you tear one up you can replace it without too big of a worry. Sometimes you find them in camo patterns too if that's your thing, and because they tend to fade and "fuzz", you can easily get an ATACS type effect as a result. Not sure I'd want it when I know I'm going to be cold and wet as you say, but not all - or even most - operations should result in such conditions.