tomahawks

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Highlander

tomahawks

Post by Highlander » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:11 am

so I got a tomahawk for Easter and, I was wondering if anyone else here uses them in place of knives in their basic load out or whether you guys here advise against them
WHY SO SERIOUS!!!

Xanatos

Re: tomahawks

Post by Xanatos » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:12 am

For opping? Can't see any real use, but if you're out camping (op-related or no) it can be a useful survival tool.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Æternaeon

Post by Æternaeon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:29 am

As both an avid woodsman and operative, I am of the personal opinion that a tomahawk is a weapon first and a tool second. Like trying to use a true shortsword as a machete. Sure, it'll get the job done, but it's horribly inefficient and faults will become apparent immediately.

That said, I will also submit the likely controversial opinion that if it makes you comfortable, bring it. While I wouldn't carry one, I can see potential uses. Keep the edge sharp and treat it as an ulu with a long handle. Is the handle wooden or is the whole thing one piece? Can you pry with it? Can you use it as a hook to grab ledges from below to help yourself up? Does it have a spike in the back to use as a pick for slippery/steep terrain? Consider a tough sheath for it that makes it "dissolve" into your silhouette at night so nobody can see you are carrying it from a distance - if you fail at remaining unnoticed then at least you can try to ensure the response will be minimal as to give you a better chance of escape.

If you carry something intelligently, you'll know with experience quickly if it's worth bringing it along. If it gets in the way, catches on objects when you're trying to squeeze into tight places and whatnot, trim the fat.
Sacrifice the body, not the heart.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:35 am

I certainly wouldn't advise against it. It's better to be armed with one rather than a knife. It can also double as an effective tool in quite a few situations in which it would be better than a knife. However you will need to consider the fact that it is larger and therefore not as easy to conceal, though it shouldn't be a real issue.
Keep 'em chained, boys!