Gloves

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Zerg

Gloves

Post by Zerg » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:58 pm

I am thinking of getting these cut resistant gloves... They look pretty tough.
http://dx.com/p/knife-cut-resistant-glo ... pair-33599
If the picture doesn't convince you, watch this.
http://club.dx.com/reviews/videos/33599/13755
For instance, if someone comes art you with a knife, you could just grab their knife and wrench it out of their hand. Of course, the gloves don't do quite as well with a serrated edge, but they are still awesome.

Xanatos

Re: Gloves

Post by Xanatos » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:59 am

I think they're meant for household tasks that include using blades so you don't cut yourself accidentally, I wouldn't trust them for combat if someone tried to stab me. Although for the price you could easily buy a few pairs and see for yourself. I'm not sure they're dexterous enough for opping, but they could come in very handy (no pun intended) if you had to cross razor wire or something.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Zerg

Post by Zerg » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:45 am

Yeah, some of the reviews said that they were a little small when first delivered, but they eventually stretched a little. Still probably not very dexterous, since they are made of metallic fibers.

Roxas

Post by Roxas » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:34 pm

not to sound negative. but every single one of those blades could be dull as a butter knife. buy a pair and try for your self.
i wouldn't op with them. im not sure if you'd like this but give these a look....someone comes at you you can block the attack

http://strongblade.com/prod/sbif-bra-orc-steel.html]
\
The problem with trying to be the bad guy, is that there is always someone worse

Zerg

Post by Zerg » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:53 am

I like the idea, but I don't think those are very combat ready, they seem to be made for role playing. I am more interested in the material than the gloves themselves, it could be adapted for more useful purposes.

Roxas

Post by Roxas » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:10 am

no worries it is legit. but just an "outside the box idea"
The problem with trying to be the bad guy, is that there is always someone worse

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:32 am

Zerg wrote:I am more interested in the material than the gloves themselves, it could be adapted for more useful purposes.
You're not thinking of bulletproof vests, I hope.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:28 am

Is it sad that I knew exactly what I was going to see when I saw the link? Regardless that's not a great idea. How conspicuous would it be to be wearing bracers in your gear at night? Also those gloves look nice but for the price? Well in some instances you get what you pay for.
Keep 'em chained, boys!

V-S

Post by V-S » Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:14 am

Has anyone ever used gloves that don't have velcro adjust tabs?

All the velcro gloves I have used tend not to stick too good. I know the velcro wears down over use but a pair I've only worn for not even a year keep randomly coming loose as I use them, it's fucking annoying.

Random old topic to post in I know, but might as well ask instead of making a new topic with the same name.
The Sun is down, time to go to work.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:03 am

You bet. I've explored the night and worked in a pretty large variety of gloves in my time, they all work pretty well. Nylon gloves (whatever the palm-side may or may not be coated with) that go up the wrist a bit are just like socks on your feet. They compress around your wrist and hold fine. Leather ones stretch out over time and feel a bit weird but I've never had them just slip off. Some leather gloves also have more of a buckle strap on the back but honestly I've never needed to use it, they stay on fine.
They're a bit thin, but if the terrain isn't so rough that they'll get torn up, nomex flight gloves are the greatest operating glove, IMO. Snug fit, they run about half-way up the forearm with no chance of falling off and give the absolute best dexterity out there.

That said, I usually just run Mechanix gloves with the velcro strap lol.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

V-S

Post by V-S » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:51 am

If I were good at tailoring I'd just add a decent pop button where the velcro sits. Although you may lose adjustability, I feel it'd be more convenient. But then you'd have to worry about potential rust of the buttons. Those nylon ones are alright, I have a pair but they are too large (and feel crusty). I'd rather use more dedicated tactical gloves though. Don't think I have ever used nomex before, interested to try.

I use a pair of mechanix M-pact finger-less gloves, and having the same problem with them of course. It probably doesn't help that I have cursed small wrists.

The best gloves I've had are Fox dirtbike gloves, for some reason the velcro on these ones actually sits alright most of the time. I've been using these one since 2007 and they have been on many ops. Unfortunately the palms and finger tips have worn though and expose my skin now.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:11 am

Using buttons might not be terrible, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Quick YouTube video and moving on over to Amazon where there's surely an endless selection of them. I imagine most buttons are of an alloy that won't rust easily, I'm sure they'll outlive the glove material before any rust appears. I've worn a couple coats over the years that use them for the sleeves, some having two male ends for something of adjustability.

In fact taking a quick look, seems that idea exists.
71-HTdYaukL._AC_SL1400_.jpg
The ad for this was only for that strap though, didn't look long enough to find the actual gloves.

If you feel like spending money for the hobby though, I can't recommend those flight gloves enough. It's like wearing Ferraris on your hands lol.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Raven

Post by Raven » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:45 pm

V-S wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:51 am
I use a pair of mechanix M-pact finger-less gloves
Why would you run finger-less gloves on OPs? Don't you worry about leaving them prints?

V-S

Post by V-S » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:55 am

Raven wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:45 pm
V-S wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:51 am
I use a pair of mechanix M-pact finger-less gloves
Why would you run finger-less gloves on OPs? Don't you worry about leaving them prints?
I don't use them on actual Ops, I use them for when doing parkour or training.