Urban Camo

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
darktorn

Urban Camo

Post by darktorn » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:53 pm

Just wondering if that camo would be effective for urban situations, It seems to have too much white for me but i am looking for good urban camo so what are you opinions?

And are there any other types of urban camo worth looking into?

hX_

Post by hX_ » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:40 pm

Personally I use 'normal' clothes, a pair of grey concrete colour joggers would work just as well and be cheap enough to be disposable if you quickly need to change your appearance.

As most urban enviroments do not have the 'random factor' of wild plants and trees, camo can stand out. If you are a single colour there is a better chance of being mistaken for a shadow or a drainpipe etc. Social camo, walking normally, not standing out etc works very well in urban environments. Places like warehouses are a prime example of this. Hard hat + reflective jacket at dusk makes it seem like you're closing up for the night etc (as long as you don't look to young of course).

And cool another person from the UK lol. South or North? (obv not gonna ask exactly where xD)

Blackcell

Post by Blackcell » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:53 pm

No, that camo is not advised. The only terrain that camo is useful in is heavy brush in the winter. In urban the white stands out way to much.

Id get urban digital or Marpat. These camos are meant for the woods but they also give you plenty of cover in the shadows, wont sillouette you against a wall and act in their enviroment if you have to E&E out of the mission. I only advise this in a wooded area surrounding urban area.

For straight urban use plain clothes, it allows you to have the CIA blending in plane site idea, but also with blues it gives you instant help when you duck into an alley way or on a roof. The secret to using plane clothes is having the opposite clothes underneath so if your spotted or compromised you get to a safe place, discard outer layer, and they no longer have your description.

The lesson is use camoflauge to the enviroment it helps you in, you want to become the backdrop. In urban you see people constantly, escape and evasion would be becoming the backdrop, like everyone else.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

hX_

Post by hX_ » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:29 pm

Very good advice, and the double layering I have used several times.

I wear "chavvy" clothes on top, so a borrowed white nike/bench/lonsdale jacket on top and cheap joggerson over jeans and a hawk skater like jacket and long sleeved top. I wear a hat + scarf round face with the top layer too so my long(ish) hair cannot be seen.

As soon as I take off that layer I've changed stereotypes instantly.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:30 pm

Don't wear full camo in an urban area. Just pants or a shirt are fine but not both. I usually wear dark clothes I can move in with lots of pockets. In urban areas wear these colors: grey, brown, black and dark blue.
I don't like most urban patterns because of the white...

hX_

Post by hX_ » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:21 pm

I personally dislike camo as it is harder to just "blend" or look inconspicuous if you decide to go through the sight of someone.

darktorn

Post by darktorn » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:29 pm

Thanks guys the help is much appreciated. And to hX i'm from the north(scotland).
8)
"The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning."

hX_

Post by hX_ » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:18 pm

South here (below Bristol even lol)

darktorn

Post by darktorn » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:13 am

is this good urban camo?
I live near woodland and most of my ops are near woodland so I'm looking for a compromise and this seems good.
"The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning."

Blackcell

Post by Blackcell » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:48 pm

That picture is deceiving, acu is alot brighter than that. For fall it works charms, for spring and summer not so much. Marpat is the best woodland camo for middle to heavy vegetation areas. Best all around wood camo. Also would work good in fall. I wouldnt recommend buying acu.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Wed May 21, 2008 8:30 pm

In terms of patterns multicam seems really good. I have a friend getting some and I'll tell you guys how well it seems to work. Also check the site it has images and links to stores.

Code: Select all

http://www.multicampattern.com/

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Fri May 23, 2008 6:08 pm

I was out with someone a few nights back, and he had camo similar to Urban - but more fashionable. Anyway - we ended up climbing up a building, and it worked VERY well on a light coloured building.

I used to hate the stuff - but I can kind of see how it *might* work if you are doing abseiling and climbing. But at the end of the day - I'd stick with the blacks, navy blues and casual wear.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat May 24, 2008 10:48 pm

Not a big street clothes person myself, but i usually go for black clothes in an urban situation. actual urban camo would probably work pretty good though, it's colors are those you'd expect to see in a city and like all camo, it's primary goal is to break up your form.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:02 am

Yea Multi cam I agree is super good. If you guys have the chance it actually works really well in alot of different situations. But of course it is more of a general camo and not one specific to urban or winter scenarios. Ie. You don't wear multi cam in the snow ;)

But other than that they also have it on many different things as well as coatings which I would say are definitely very useful but a bit expensive.. Ie. coating a knife or carrying object with multicam for visual disruption if you have your object out and are about to use it. It of course is very good on shiny objects that reflect light since it will matte the surface so things like flashlights don't reflect back at the observer of the operative..

All in all, what the military doesn't chose to use we can use! Just because UCP beat Multicam as the leading pattern in modern day doesn't mean its better. haha..

Valdravulfr

Post by Valdravulfr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:39 am

There isn't that much grey, white or black foliage in urban areas unfortunately...

Solids in Urban.
Valdravulfr (Me) -"One who is not at one with himself, is not at one with nature."
Valdravulfr (Me) -"Around lots of eyes, it is easier to go seen but unsuspected, than not seen at all."