need gear for starting out?

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Roxas

need gear for starting out?

Post by Roxas » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:20 pm

if your just starting out like i am you'll obviously need gear if you want that tacti-cool look like i do
this is my personal recommendation
yours may vary from likeness to price all of this can be found on amazon just for convenience
if you would like me to find everything for you on a certain website i surely will but not with these exact items shown we all know no other websites will have as many things in the same site as amazon.com
this has no intended budget. if any one wants me to find them gear for a budget i surely will...as i have nothing better to do with my life

Blackhawk Men's Lightweight Tactical Pant---- amazon.com

5.11 Rapid Assault Shirt---- amazon.com

Fila Men's Edgewater 12 Boot---- amazon.com

Mil-Tec Military Army Patrol Molle Assault Pack Tactical Combat Rucksack Backpack 30L Black
by Miltec---- amazon.com
this pack is what i personally have right now ...a review is to come post after Christmas

SOG Specialty Knives & Tools FX10-N Fixation Dagger Knife, Black Oxide---- amazon.com

Leatherman LEA831105 Super Tool 300 Multitool with Black Oxide Finish---- amazon.com

Elite Forces Paracord Bracelet With Whistle---- amazon
i either advise you to get all black or neon orange..given a survival situation...highly unlikely but you never know

Premium Shemagh Head Neck Scarf by Tapp Collections - ** Various Colors ** ---- amazon.com

http://www.lapolicegear.com/sf-p2xd-a-bk-defender.html

this flash light i advise you get the most..500 lumens... lets say your opping and someone has seen you and is chasing you.
take this baby out stun it in there eyes there night vision is gone while you still see
you can make a break for it.
just an idea.

well this i my personal load out...although i do not have all these things this is what i most recommend out of personal preference
if you want me to make a budget list
or on a strictly single site as i have done with this please let me know i will gladly do it.
The problem with trying to be the bad guy, is that there is always someone worse

Marzka

Re: need gear for starting out?

Post by Marzka » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:11 pm

Thanks for these, great reference points for noobs like me :P

However, if anyone starting out is reading this, just do it. You don't need to wait until you have all your BDUs and top notch flashlights with red filters approved by NASA, just go outside and work with what you have until you get to a high enough level where things like these are needed.

That's all I've got to say about that...
Nightops is gud, yo.

Eden

Post by Eden » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:03 am

Marzka wrote:Thanks for these, great reference points for noobs like me :P

However, if anyone starting out is reading this, just do it. You don't need to wait until you have all your BDUs and top notch flashlights with red filters approved by NASA, just go outside and work with what you have until you get to a high enough level where things like these are needed.

That's all I've got to say about that...
Basically this. Sorry, Rojas. We can't always be as operator as you and carry tactical backpacks.

That being said, having some basic supplies is always a good idea. And put some black duct tape on those shoes!

By the way, nice Forrest Gump quote.
I'll tell you a secret...The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again.

Marzka

Post by Marzka » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:40 am

Eden wrote: By the way, nice Forrest Gump quote.
Thought I'd sneak that in there, nice spotting :lol:
Nightops is gud, yo.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:21 pm

If this was a gun website, Roxas, you'd be a H&K fanboy.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:38 pm

I'm mostly confused by the addition of a whistle. Isn't the point not to draw attention?
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Marzka

Post by Marzka » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:41 am

Teutoni wrote:I'm mostly confused by the addition of a whistle. Isn't the point not to draw attention?
You don't carry a whistle on you at all times? Hey everyone, get a load of this guy!
Nightops is gud, yo.

Eden

Post by Eden » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:50 am

Marzka wrote:
Teutoni wrote:I'm mostly confused by the addition of a whistle. Isn't the point not to draw attention?
You don't carry a whistle on you at all times? Hey everyone, get a load of this guy!
Well, he just happens to be a real man who isn't worried about getting raped ;)

But I guess Little Guys like you and Rojas gotta watch out.
I'll tell you a secret...The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:13 pm

If I ever catch you out at night you'll need that whistle if you can reach it.
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Nukes

Post by Nukes » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:34 pm

Opping after work in your work clothes FTW
Hey you! Yes YOU! Go here... http://night-ops.net/chat/

Marzka

Post by Marzka » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:33 am

Nukes wrote:Opping after work in your work clothes FTW
That's good in the sense that if you are caught, you can say you were just taking a midnight walk.
However, that goes against the spirirt of night ops (You must not be seen). Also, you may find yourself crawling around while opping, which willl get your work clothes dirty.
If you don't care about being seen just do plain ol' UE, night ops isn't your thing.
Nightops is gud, yo.

Zerg

Post by Zerg » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:39 pm

Technically, she could work for a hunting equipment supply co. and her work clothes could be camouflage. Also, in case you haven't seen the post on camo v. solids, the skill of an opper is more crucial than their attire.

Nukes

Post by Nukes » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:38 pm

My work attire consists of black pants, black shoes, and whatever color undershirt i decide to wear which is usually a dark color, otherwise I have a camo long sleeve shirt in my trunk in case I would ever need it. I'm also not worried about getting my work clothes dirty because I can just wash them when I get home. The places I op are usually next to either a busy street or in an area with a lot of houses. If someone were to catch me in full camo gear with a backpack full of gadgets it's a lot harder to talk yourself out of something as opposed to being in regular clothes and just telling them you were taking a walk or something. I also agree with Zerg, despite what kind of clothes you have, as long as you're stealthy and smart about what you're doing you should be fine. Clothing can only hide you to a certain extent.

Nukes

Post by Nukes » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:06 am

Marzka wrote:
If you don't care about being seen just do plain ol' UE, night ops isn't your thing.

Aw....hell.....naw.

Marzka

Post by Marzka » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:29 am

Nukes wrote:
Aw....hell.....naw.
Is there something wrong in what I said?
The main purpose of night ops as defined in the original night ops thread on Totse is to go into a place, look around or do whatever and leave again without anyone knowing you were there.
If you're planning your night ops expecting to be caught, you're going around it the wrong way.
Nightops is gud, yo.

Nukes

Post by Nukes » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:35 am

Nukes wrote:
Marzka wrote:

Aw....hell.....naw.
Spets, I'm going to change my password if you keep doing that!

Roxas

Post by Roxas » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:02 pm

Marzka wrote:
Nukes wrote:
Aw....hell.....naw.
Is there something wrong in what I said?
The main purpose of night ops as defined in the original night ops thread on Totse is to go into a place, look around or do whatever and leave again without anyone knowing you were there.
If you're planning your night ops expecting to be caught, you're going around it the wrong way.
i dont think your in any position to be telling a senior Opper "nightops isnt their thing"

Nukes knows exactly what she is doing. so i would hold my tongue.
The problem with trying to be the bad guy, is that there is always someone worse

Roxas

Post by Roxas » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:18 pm

Xanatos wrote:If this was a gun website, Roxas, you'd be a H&K fanboy.

i like AI lol

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:37 pm

Al? What does Al have to do with anything? :P
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Roxas

Post by Roxas » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:02 pm

Teutoni wrote:Al? What does Al have to do with anything? :P
AI - accuracy international, they make precision rifles

Marzka

Post by Marzka » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:16 pm

Sorry for expressing my opinion, Roxas. I'm sure Nukes is very glad you stood up for him.
Nightops is gud, yo.

Eden

Post by Eden » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:18 am

Marzka wrote:Sorry for expressing my opinion, Roxas. I'm sure Nukes is very glad you stood up for him.
\

I wasn't going to step in here, but....

We are a very close knit community. Most of our regular members have been part of the site for quite a while, and that creates some pretty strong bonds. Can you see why a new guy coming in and telling one of those members that they aren't cut out for Night Ops, the point in us all being here, would ruffle some feathers? Especially when you have made it known you have gone on about two ops, and she has been opping for several years now.

This isn't about anyone picking on you, or ganging up on you, it is about us looking our for our own. Hopefully you start to see that and stick around.

Nukes

Post by Nukes » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:53 am

I didn't mean to start anything here. Marzka, I'm glad you've been reading the resources that are around the site. It's better safe than sorry when you're out on an op. Going opping without the proper attire could put you in a bad situation, but it really all depends on what each individual prefers and finds to better suit their surroundings. That being said, no two people on this site have the same preferences when it comes to how they op. That's what makes us individual and a pretty unique community instead of having only one set way of doing things.

Marzka

Post by Marzka » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:48 am

I apologise for any offense caused.
Nightops is gud, yo.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:53 pm

Now all of you, kiss and make ou- er, make up. Yeah, we'll go with that.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

QuantumFisher

Post by QuantumFisher » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:15 pm

I would recommend getting a Leatherman multi-tool, night vision goggles/monocular with head mount, and chem lights or glow-sticks.

Also, SWAT tactical boots are defiantly excellent. I highly recommend them.

I personally don't like backpacks as they are bulky and get in the way, so I recommend a small 2L tactical pack. You shouldn't need to carry much gear anyway. Keep it simple.

Eden

Post by Eden » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:07 am

Absolutely yes to the multitool, it's on my list of gear I need to get.

However, night vision goggles and chem lights seem like a bit much.

QuantumFisher

Post by QuantumFisher » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:13 am

Eden wrote:Absolutely yes to the multitool, it's on my list of gear I need to get.

If you get a multi-tool, make sure to get the Leatherman. I have owned mine for 6 years now and my mind is blown at how well designed and engineered the thing is; It is literally a piece of art.

Eden

Post by Eden » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:27 am

QuantumFisher wrote:
Eden wrote:Absolutely yes to the multitool, it's on my list of gear I need to get.

If you get a multi-tool, make sure to get the Leatherman. I have owned mine for 6 years now and my mind is blown at how well designed and engineered the thing is; It is literally a piece of art.
I think that is what is on my list. I turned it over to Ghost, or I would check.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:09 am

So far i'm pretty happy with mine. I wish all of us could afford NVDs though. That'd be pretty fucking awesome. Chem lights though? I've used them before but they are somewhat limited in their practicality as a must have.
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:46 pm

The fact that we're talking about NVDs in a thread about beginner's gear should strike all of you as being a little bit ridiculous. For the small amount of help they can be (because let's face it, the times are few and far between that any of us are opping in total darkness) the price tag is hard to justify. Most oppers, let alone beginners, would be much better off investing that money into things like better clothing/footwear, high quality lights, entry tools, ect.

As for chem lights - I've never felt the need to bring them, but I've certainly been in situations where they would have been handy. Any time you need to climb down into a dark area and won't have a free hand for a flashlight, they can be pretty a boon. Likewise, if you find yourself needing to jump down into a dark area, and want the spot you're going to land to be illuminated, all you'd need to do is pop one and throw it down there. It can be a little tricky trying to do parkour while holding a flashlight you don't want to ruin.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:07 pm

Speaking as someone who's used NVGs on ops before, let me tell you that unless you're planning to invest in some super compact high quality Sam Fisher shit, it's totally not worth it. They're bulky, restrict your FOV, shift your depth perception and, if you're using an IR illuminator and the objectives aren't sealed around your eyes to block any light from escaping, you're essentially walking around with a dim lantern on your head. Stick to your natural nightvision and, if you must, flashlights.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:28 am

What generation did the ones you used fall under?
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:09 pm

First generation, I think. This pair:

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:21 pm

As far as generations go, 1, 1+, and 2 are all pretty fucking terrible. The image quality is a joke, as is the FOV. Surprisingly, the difference between 2+ and 3 isn't that huge, and either one will actually perform well enough to give you a distinct advantage. Unfortunately, anything gen2+ is going to cost ridiculous amounts of money.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:30 am

Well shit son, there's your problem.
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:56 am

Still not worth it.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:45 am

There are many more reasons to not do it than there are to do it.
Keep 'em chained, boys!