Need gloves.

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Ghillie

Need gloves.

Post by Ghillie » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:21 am

I need some black, sturdy gloves.
Work, and climbing type is preferred.
Thanks, if you can help.

Xanatos

Re: Need gloves.

Post by Xanatos » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:07 am

I typically use a dark pair of tight, breathable work gloves (breathable nylon backing & wrist with rubberised fingers and palm). They provide good grip for climbing yet remain dexterous enough for tasks like lockpicking. You can get them at virtually any hardware or homecare store (heck, I got mine at a grocery store and they've lasted me for years). Relatively cheap too so they're easy to replace.

If you're looking for something a little heavier duty for rappelling or other rough work then leather gloves should do. Or any mil-spec combat gloves really, you can find a good selection in surplus stores or sites that sell airsoft equipment (they sell basically anything military except for firearms).
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:25 pm

I've always been a fan of fingerless gloves for opping, as long as you're not doing anything where fingerprints are a concern. I feel like retaining as much manual dexterity as you can is pretty important. I usually wear these: http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SOLAG- ... 3,1357.htm only $40 and the quality is very nice. They also make a full fingered version if those are more to your taste. One of the things i like about these is that they're very "light" for tactical gloves, not overbuilt like a lot of other tactical stuff is. They do tend to run a little small though, so i'd suggest ordering one size higher than you regularly would.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:26 pm

They'll stretch the more you wear them.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

n1ghtshade

Post by n1ghtshade » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:14 pm

Therin the Hand wrote:I've always been a fan of fingerless gloves for opping, as long as you're not doing anything where fingerprints are a concern. I feel like retaining as much manual dexterity as you can is pretty important. I usually wear these: http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SOLAG- ... 3,1357.htm only $40 and the quality is very nice. They also make a full fingered version if those are more to your taste. One of the things i like about these is that they're very "light" for tactical gloves, not overbuilt like a lot of other tactical stuff is. They do tend to run a little small though, so i'd suggest ordering one size higher than you regularly would.
I have the same exact pair, except in the full finger variety, they are quite nice, would definitely recommend a pair.

Ghillie

Post by Ghillie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:40 pm

Thanks guys, I might just get the full finger ones though.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:15 am

Another vote for the Solags as I also have the fingerless ones. Though check Amazon for them first.
Keep 'em chained, boys!

n1ghtshade

Post by n1ghtshade » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:49 am

teutoni wrote:Another vote for the Solags as I also have the fingerless ones. Though check Amazon for them first.

That, or just buy em direct from hong kong, same as the real pair, except $10-12.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:33 am

n1ghtshade, have a link?
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Æternaeon

Post by Æternaeon » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:40 am

To be honest, I like just about any glove that's got a good leather bottom and a lighter stretchy top. They get the job done perfectly fine.
Last edited by Æternaeon on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sacrifice the body, not the heart.

FeartheNight

Post by FeartheNight » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:14 pm

Maybe look into some Mechanix M-Pact gloves. Sturdy and some come with armor for your hands.

Æternaeon

Post by Æternaeon » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:16 pm

Military summer flight gloves are the ultimate operator glove, IMO. Thin leather palm and inner that you can operate a laptop touchpad through and a breathable nomex back side. Lightweight and form fitting, you can pick a lock in them just fine or, outside of the night ops world, shoot in them like you weren't even wearing gloves. They're not the toughest glove though, so I like to wear a tougher glove over the top of them while traveling to the area of operations and then stripping them off so I'm only wearing the flight gloves for the fine work.

Sacrifice the body, not the heart.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:30 pm

I found that fingerless leather gloves are perfect for casual ops. There's always the disadvantage of your fingers being exposed, but if you need to hide your hands just make a fist, your hand should be fully covered.

Having expensive gloves with me to do some light climbing and crawling is sort of pointless. Who needs kevlar to crawl on some twigs? Xana's preference of black gardening gloves should work good as well.
Don't take it too seriously, you're not coming out of it alive.