First lockpick kit

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
drthompson

First lockpick kit

Post by drthompson » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:05 pm

SO i took a trip to my local swap meet last week and picked myself up a new lockpick set. it came with about 12 picks, a holster thing for the picks to fit into, 3 tension wrenches, and one allen wrench to adjust the holster for the picks. i can make out atleast 3 different types of rakes, 2 c hooks, 1 half diamond pick, and 2 bump keys. but the rest eludes me. iv read into lockpicking a bit myself but i seem to like to just use a rake more than the c hooks or the half diamond. anyone have any good techniques when racking a lock with a pick set? or is it just luck.. also iv been contemplating about making a pick gun out of a mechanical toothbrush, easier than racking the lock?
then the asshole started waving the thing around like a mamaracka or whatever the fuck you call them!

Marzka

Re: First lockpick kit

Post by Marzka » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:25 am

I highly advise trying to learn to work on individual pins rather than just raking, one you get to a high enough level raking will be useless.
A home-made lockpicking gun would be way too noisy to be practical for night ops. Stick with doing it by hand.
Nightops is gud, yo.

Æternaeon

Post by Æternaeon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:27 am

A mechanical or electrical pick gun doesn't make the process necessarily faster and it requires a lot of training to use just the same as conventional picking. I've got to agree with Marzka here that learning to set pins individually with a hook is the best way, especially for someone just starting since you learn to feel the inside of a lock better instead of trying to just get a quick fix by raking.
Sacrifice the body, not the heart.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:25 pm

Got a camera, Doc? Post some picks of your pics - I mean, pics of your picks - and we can help you identify them.

And don't underestimate raking; there's a particular target I frequent that has 3 locked doors that I can rake through in well under 5 minutes.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

NINJAHAMMER

Post by NINJAHAMMER » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:48 am

I don't always pick locks . . . but when I do, I prefer - raking . I am almost ashamed to admit that I only use rakes to pick, as I lack the patience and feel for using the other picks. I would also recommend that one learn how to pick by feel but I have been able to pick 80% of the locks I have encountered by raking.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:55 am

Same. I've tried going pin-by-pin before but some of the pins just refuse to stay up. Maybe it's just the locks in my area but I've also had better luck raking.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.