Gear loadout

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Ghillie

Gear loadout

Post by Ghillie » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:31 am

What's your idea of a good loadout?
Last edited by Ghillie on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xanatos

Re: Gear loadout

Post by Xanatos » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:26 am

The knife? Yes, looks good for a good price. The rest? No, you can do a lot better for a lot cheaper.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Ghillie

Post by Ghillie » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:28 am

Okay, I have night ops clothes but I might be getting some new ones soon. I need to be as thrifty as possible.

n1ghtshade

Post by n1ghtshade » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:27 am

I would say try to get some subdued urban bdu pants at least, if not a jacket as well. They actually work surprisingly well, I was very pleased. Try to get pants with decent pocket size if can to, it helps if you ever plan on caring stuff with you

Urgon

Post by Urgon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:54 am

AVE...

Buy good, heavy duty shoes. Military grade ones. Everything else - BDU's. They are cheap, are made to hide you and are generally good quality. The knife however... Well, it looks like cheap crap for militia wankers. Go and buy genuine bayonet - will work better...
"We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Airship pirate...

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:16 am

Bayonets are good for stabbing people and not much else. For ops you want a versatile, sturdy and preferably non-reflective utility knife for dealing with whatever obstacles come in your way.

As for clothing & footwear it's generally desirable to get military grade stuff, but since that's not always available or cheap you can settle for 'civilian' gear. For clothing, just get anything that's dark, quiet and comfortable to move in. As for footwear, while combat boots make crossing difficult terrain much easier they're also noisier than traditional sneakers.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Urgon

Post by Urgon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:59 am

AVE...

You are a little bit mistaken, Xan. Bayonets, especially those used by British, German and Soviet Union armies are made to be versatile tools, not just for poking holes in people. Before WWII bayonets were only for stabbing, because they didn't know any better. It's economy too: why a solder should carry one utility knife and one bayonet, if their functions can be combined? That's why post-WWI bayonets have hilts, and earlier models just locking mechanisms or rings...
"We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Airship pirate...

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:22 am

Today's military knives aren't designed as 'bayonets' though, what they're doing instead is just mounting bayonet rings to existing knives (like the KABAR).