Tazer proof armor

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
CokeCanNinja

Tazer proof armor

Post by CokeCanNinja » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:46 pm

http://www.thorshield.com/index.html

This website sells tazer proof BDU's. They are restricted, but I'm sure someone on here could figure out a way to get a set. If not, it's probably possible to make a set using the same principle.

Ghost

Re: Tazer proof armor

Post by Ghost » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:32 pm

I've always wondered how well hardened leather armor would do against a tazer. I've got a feeling that as long as you got armor-grade leather, the contact points wouldn't be able to penetrate enough to shock you. And seeing as how they only ever shoot center of mass, all you'd really need would be a cuirass or breatplate if you were expecting trouble.

Otherwise, i think the only way you'd manage to snag a pair of these is if you happened to be in law enforcement or the military.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

CokeCanNinja

Post by CokeCanNinja » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:34 pm

The voltage of a stun gun is high enough that the eletricity will jump to you, even if the bard don't stick in you. The way these clothes work is by having a layer of material that conducts more easily than your flesh. Becuase eletricity flows through the path of least resistence, it would go through the clothes instead of you.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:35 am

So then there's a ground wire or something like that hanging out of the bottom of the pants? Seems a little impractical...

Edit: after doing some reading, It seems like there have been cases when a thick leather jacket has been able to protect a person from a taser. If that's the case, i'm pretty sure 13-15oz armor grade leather would provide both sufficient protection against the barbs, and sufficient resistance against the electricity.

CokeCanNinja

Post by CokeCanNinja » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:35 am

There's not a ground wire. The eletricty from the gun is trying to flow from point A (one barb) and point B (the other barb). Normally the easiesy way to do this is by going through you. However, this anti-tazer armor works by conducting better than a human does. This means that the eletricity will travel through the garment, rather than your flesh.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:02 pm

Ah, ok. i thought it was trying to direct the current into the ground, that makes a lot more sense lol. For some reason i thought that two barbs were simply there to guarantee a better chance of success, and the electricity would have to flow through your body to ground. Since really they're just positive and negative electrodes, both would have to contact you in order for it to work.

Actually, why not just wear something that would short the circuit, like that thor shield stuff - a simple chainmail shirt ought to be enough to take care of that, and it would be way more comfortable than leather armor. Perhaps not as fancy as thor shield, but it can be bought online easily, is relatively cheap, and doesn't require you being a LEO/military member.

Urgon

Post by Urgon » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:17 pm

AVE...

Chain-mail will work. For NOPs however I would suggest to put it between two layers of material and sew them together so it won't make noise during movement...
"We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Airship pirate...

Lucian Neo

Post by Lucian Neo » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:22 am

Urgon wrote:AVE...

Chain-mail will work. For NOPs however I would suggest to put it between two layers of material and sew them together so it won't make noise during movement...
I don't know much about electricity, but from what I do, electricity and metal does not go well with humans. And How many people do you think own a good pair of chain mail? Maybe if the're re-enacting a scene from Troy.

I don't know what all would work, Multiple layers of clothing?
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the hell is the ceiling?

People are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs;)

CokeCanNinja

Post by CokeCanNinja » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:01 am

Chainmaillie would be too loud. I was considering a metal mesh between two layers of cloth.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:04 am

Lucian, the chain mail works because it provides a path for the electricity, other than your body. Also, it seems like you can buy a decent mail shirt for around $120 USD. Not too bad, especially if you're planning on getting tased. The multiple layers don't work so well because those spikes have around two inches of penetration with soft barriers, and like CCN said, your body is still going to provide a better path for the electricity than the clothing. The trick is making sure that the path of least resistance isn't your body.

The Atomic Fishy

Post by The Atomic Fishy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:55 pm

as someone who has made functional and tested DIY Tazer proof armor, aluminum foil and duct tape.

cheep highly effective i have it standard in all of my light armor projects.

Details:
line a garnet with the foil, 2-5 layers is preferred for durability and insuring contact with probe. insure conductivity between all layers of foil.
seal in Duct tape for durability and reduction in sound/light reflection of garment.

enjoy.
in a society that has abolished all adventure, the only adventure left is to abolish that society.
NO hobo codes-http://no.surgen.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=6527#p6527
Op tag: ATOMFIS