Camo demonstration

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Teutoni

Camo demonstration

Post by Teutoni » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:21 am

I just bought some of the newer ATACS FG and I was wondering if I got the time and a camera would you guys like to see a demonstration of them in the field?
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Xanatos

Re: Camo demonstration

Post by Xanatos » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:41 am

Sure, go for it. I might demonstrate some camo patterns too (multicam and darkened Auscam).
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:08 am

Well I have some Danish flecktarn which I could show off too. Some of the best pictures may have to wait until everything comes back to life around here though.
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:29 am

teutoni wrote:Well I have some Danish flecktarn which I could show off too. Some of the best pictures may have to wait until everything comes back to life around here though.
Danish Flecktarn FTW! :D I have some too, absolutely love it.
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:54 am

This sounds like an awesome idea, i'll try to get some pictures in a few random camo types i have laying around sometime as well.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:40 am

Moddy wrote:
teutoni wrote:Well I have some Danish flecktarn which I could show off too. Some of the best pictures may have to wait until everything comes back to life around here though.
Danish Flecktarn FTW! :D I have some too, absolutely love it.
Wait. The 2004 or the 1999 version. Whichever it is are they seriously not some of the best made clothing you have? I absolutely love how solid they are. Truly amazing flecktarn.
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Nukes

Post by Nukes » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:47 pm

After two hours and almost 200 pictures, here you go...
Attachments
IMG_5946.JPG
IMG_6092.JPG
IMG_6067.JPG
IMG_6055.JPG
IMG_6053.JPG
IMG_6022.JPG
IMG_5998.JPG
IMG_5987.JPG
IMG_5975.JPG
IMG_5960.JPG
Last edited by Nukes on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey you! Yes YOU! Go here... http://night-ops.net/chat/

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:37 pm

That's a pretty good demonstration. I may test out my multicam this weekend if I have time.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:47 pm

I lol'd at that last picture, but you might want to think about at least putting a black bar over the eyes. wouldn't want someone to end up using that picture to figure out your old myspace address, and the using that to find your facebook. :P

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:07 pm

That is truly awesome, I may have to invest. Living in a city, it's often just a pair of black combats for me - as this place lives 24/7.

That said, I can easily go into the countryside on the outskirts, and thats where my flecktarn comes in handy. Also, pretty sure it's 2004 - and you're right Teutoni; It's the must durable item I think I've bought. The British DPM ones are pretty piss poor (they've got better recently, and I can't comment for their new camo) - but I remember as a cadet I fell over on concrete and got a fucking hole on the knee. O_o

Whereas, I think I could fall onto glass, get stabbed, be blown up and so on - and my flecktarn would just be sitting on my legs like "O RLY?". It's awesome.
Therin the Hand wrote:I lol'd at that last picture, but you might want to think about at least putting a black bar over the eyes. wouldn't want someone to end up using that picture to figure out your old myspace address, and the using that to find your facebook. :P
Who would be pathetic enough to invest so much time, just to have a friends request denied.. OH, Well this is a bit awkward.. :wink:
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:26 pm

^ I'm not even going to dignify that above comment with a proper quote.

I keep coming back to look at these, it really is amazing how well they blend it with the environment as soon as you get a good distance away.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:36 am

I was extremely shocked to see how well the camo did. I was expecting to get stuck in heavy foliage with the colour scheme but as you can see that was foolish. It is really an amazing digital pattern and it is also extremely quiet.

Moddy I noticed you have the 2004 from another thread. I agree it is better made then my new Propper stuff even. I think my jacket will just out live me lol.
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:04 am

Well in direct contrast to the weather we've been having lately it suddenly started pouring buckets last night and unfortunately my camera isn't as waterproof as I am. Looks like those pics are going to have to wait.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:09 am

Finally managed to get those photos taken:

Custom camo demonstration: [ link removed ]

Instead of attaching all the files individually I decided to upload them to Mediafire so you can enjoy them on your desktop in all their high-res glory. I'm wearing a black MOLLE leg platform on my right thigh and a green & brown sniper veil, just as points of reference if my outline isn't immediately obvious. As you can tell, the multicam is better suited to drier environments or daytime operations while the custom camo blends in better with dense, green foliage, especially at night. While these patterns are generally suited to rural environments with lots of vegetation my custom BDUs are also quite good in urban settings, and I've seen multicam's effectiveness in run-down urban settings too. If I find a suitable urban area, I'll take some more pics there.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:15 pm

I'd download them, but it says the files are set to private, and only the owner can download them. I'll take any bets now that this is related to the megaupload incident.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:23 pm

Try now.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:46 pm

Those are some awesome pics Xanatos. I have to say I think your multicam worked better though. No disrespect to the custom as you darkening really made it more effective at night. I am becoming a lot more turned on by digital camo lol. Also what are the boots you are wearing with your multicam?
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Nukes

Post by Nukes » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:46 am

Awesome pictures. I'm going to have to go with Teutoni and say that the multicam does best in that environment. The custom worked really nice as well though. There were a couple a pictures that I had to stare at before I could actually find you. You guys make me want to invest in something other than woodland now. lol
Hey you! Yes YOU! Go here... http://night-ops.net/chat/

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:58 am

I must disagree, the darkened seems like it blends him in with the environment much better, even if the multicam blends his form a little more.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:18 am

Here are some side-by-side comparisons of the custom & multicam patterns. As you can see, each has their own advantage in different environments (multicam better for dry vegetation and custom better for wet, lush vegetation).
comp1.jpg
comp2.jpg
comp3.jpg
comp4.jpg
comp5.jpg
comp6.jpg
comp7.jpg
comp8.jpg
comp9.jpg
comp10.jpg
teutoni wrote:Also what are the boots you are wearing with your multicam?
Just some old Australian standard-issue military boots, had them for years (pics in the 'Annual NONET Gear Thread'). Need to polish them a bit though with some Ballistol. I'm wearing my diving boots with my custom camo.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:01 am

Xanatos, i like it.

Like i said, i think the multicam is very good at obscuring his form. it's very hard to recognize that "distinctive human outline" when he's wearing it, even if the camo is a little bit light for the environment. Color wise, i think the darkened camo does an excellent job at mimicking the colors found in the environment, especially when he's using partial cover.

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:53 am

this new camo pattern reminds me of the rebel camo on endor from starwars
btw that is really effective
WHY SO SERIOUS!!!

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:40 pm

Highlander in the pine forest I was pretending I was on Endor. I made this thread in the hopes to make more people buy it.

Therin while I agree the darkened stuff was better in colours, I tend to think masking the human outline is more important. I guess I just prefer digital.
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:47 am

Probably getting some ATACS as well this week, although in the original Arid colour scheme. When time permits, I'll demonstrate its effectiveness in the field.

NML

Post by NML » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:01 am

They recommend using tan or even drab accessories before black and now we all know why.

I'd like to point out the color differences between the wet and dry look. Multi worked out very well even when wet, compared to the other, which became black. Did the area and clothing get as wet in the multi? My guess is, the darker outfit would probably work better until someone is looking for you with a light.

Also, I would like to point out the usefulness of not looking like a human outline. With the right form of unexpected shape (ie not a human) you can have people walk by you even when you don't really match your surroundings. I've gotten people by laying down on warehouse racks next to boxes, motionless as they pass. Great way to pass time at work.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:00 am

Exactly. More important than good camouflage? Understanding how the human eye registers the human shape. Good camouflage is just a good boon.
Keep 'em chained, boys!