Packs/Rucks/Bags

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Lucian Neo

Packs/Rucks/Bags

Post by Lucian Neo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:18 am

Just as the name implies. Looking for packs, rucks, and bags.

This is what I am currently using. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE702-1.html It's a pretty good bag for my needs. But I would really like to get a Tactical Messenger bag. So If anybody has any suggestions please post them here. You can also post what you personally use and maybe some noobs will find some good rucks.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the hell is the ceiling?

People are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs;)

Neurotic Anomaly

Re: Packs/Rucks/Bags

Post by Neurotic Anomaly » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:25 am

The pack that I currently use is BLACKHAWK! S.T.R.I.K.E. Tsunami 100oz hydration pack.

http://www.reactgear.com/Blackhawk-S-T- ... 65st-p.htm

Perfectly suits any need I may meet in the field.
שד ציד

Neurotic Anomaly

Post by Neurotic Anomaly » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:30 am

I don't really feel like editing my above post.

As far as messenger bags go, if you want a good one, choose Maxpedition.

http://www.reactgear.com/Maxpedition-Ju ... 0412-p.htm

It looks somewhat small at first glance of the picture, but look at the other photos of it below. Specifically the last one. It has three zippered accessory pockets, two sleeve pockets, and one drawstring pocket fitted for a 32oz/1L Nalgene water bottle or a radio.

Read all the specs on it.
שד ציד

Lucian Neo

Post by Lucian Neo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:38 am

I checked all the pics. Looks like a lot of money for a small product
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the hell is the ceiling?

People are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs;)

Neurotic Anomaly

Post by Neurotic Anomaly » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:57 am

It's not a small product at all. The pouched bottle in the last photo is a 32oz nalgene bottle, which is very large. Scaled to the rest of the bag you can see that it is fairly huge.
And as for price, I nearly shit when I saw it. Considering most of Maxpedition's products are way higher.

Your post deserves a facepalm. Since I know you personally, I can safely say that it seems like you never really analyze anything brought up to you.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/catalog/0412.jpg
Your idea of "small"?
שד ציד

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:55 am

Yep, that's small for a messenger bag. I've got a similar bag in black which I use on ops to carry bits of gear such as cameras, but aside from that it's not really useful as a standard pack or bag. If you're looking for a good tactical messenger bag I linked a photo of the Code Alpha messenger bag in the SHTF discussion thread.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Lucian Neo

Post by Lucian Neo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:09 pm

Who deserves the face palm now? :P

http://www.discountmilitarystore.com/fo ... -5086.html

Much more affordable as well.

Neurotic Anomaly

Post by Neurotic Anomaly » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:44 pm

Nah. I'd take my choice over that one. With your choice of bag, you'd be much better off just getting a gearslinger, which, now that I think it, is better than any messenger bag in terms of ease of carry and access.
So I want to argue against messenger bags for a moment and propose the idea of getting a gearslinger. There are multiple different designs available, one of witch I actually own.

http://www.reactgear.com/Maxpedition-Mo ... 0410-p.htm
This is the one I own.

So yeah, my point still stands. You still keep your facepalm. :D
שד ציד

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:24 pm

Actually, messenger bags are far easier to access as it naturally hangs right where your hands are. Sling bags however are easier to manoeuvre in as they hug your body and don't swing all over the place when you're climbing/running/jumping.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Neurotic Anomaly

Post by Neurotic Anomaly » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:07 pm

^Sling bags are able to be easily swung around your body to where it's worn on your chest, the zipper lying horizontal and parallel with the width of your chest, allowing easier access than even a messenger bag. I used it before switching off to my blackhawk tsunami (a choice I kind of regret now) on daylight recons a long time ago and found this conventional application very useful.

((I actually did this thing with my gearslinger where I wore it on my chest and attached molle magazine pouches to the webbing and used it as an improvised chest rig for both my airsoft AR and the real one. One of the best ideas I ever had. The ability to quickly swing it around to my back made it very convenient.))

It's probably as close to a universal bag as one can come. Just sort of actually having one custom made, something I've actually considered on occasion.
שד ציד

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:44 am

As musch as I would love a MOLLE bag where I can adapt it, and tweak it for wherever I'm going - sadly I'm limited to backs which can safely transfer my photography equipment. The most popular type is this..

Having seen people with these though, I must say - they can be awful. It's alright for someone browsing a city on a nice sunny day, nothing but a t-shirt and jeans on, and they need nothing but their camera..

However, for taking photographs at night I need a tripod at the very least; then on top of that I require all the gear discussed here.. (first aid kit, flashlights, spare batteries and so much more) - which is very limiting. However, I'll post a pic of my workaround tomorrow, as I can't seem to find any good similar photos online.
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Neurotic Anomaly

Post by Neurotic Anomaly » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:19 am

^I feel ya.

The gearslinger I have is capable of handling a camera, tripod, and any other essential equipment necessary for an op. Though I do testify to the asperity of acquiring one. I was lucky and managed to attend a Gun and Knife pavilion in Montgomery, a city about 10 or so miles from me. While browsing through the cornucopia of guns, knives, and hunting lectures, I stumbled across them for about 20 bucks.
They had them in black and olive drab, I chose olive drab.

So far it's had an excellent track record, all it needs is one of it's plastic buckles replaced and some parts of the MOLLE webbing sewn back and it's ready for service again.
שד ציד

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:00 pm

Neurotic Anomaly wrote:^I feel ya.

The gearslinger I have is capable of handling a camera, tripod, and any other essential equipment necessary for an op. Though I do testify to the asperity of acquiring one. I was lucky and managed to attend a Gun and Knife pavilion in Montgomery, a city about 10 or so miles from me. While browsing through the cornucopia of guns, knives, and hunting lectures, I stumbled across them for about 20 bucks.
They had them in black and olive drab, I chose olive drab.

So far it's had an excellent track record, all it needs is one of it's plastic buckles replaced and some parts of the MOLLE webbing sewn back and it's ready for service again.
That would be ideal, I've spent a fair amount of time looking for a bag that is suited to photography equipment, whilst utilising MOLLE.
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

fx1k

Post by fx1k » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:53 pm

On my operations, the amount of gear I use is usually on the lighter side, so I've been using this: Image

It's a bit pricey for what it is, but thankfully I was able to get it for pretty cheap :D

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:01 pm

fx1k wrote:On my operations, the amount of gear I use is usually on the lighter side, so I've been using this: Image

It's a bit pricey for what it is, but thankfully I was able to get it for pretty cheap :D
Looks pretty nice and light actually, not too conspicuous as well!

I've been using a basic Amazon camera bag to good effect so far, I may finally get around to posting some pictures up now...