Drop leg platform

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Ghost

Drop leg platform

Post by Ghost » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:45 am

Sick of having multiple pouches sliding all over the place on your gear belt?

Tired of having those pouches get in the way when you're trying to climb, roll, crawl, or move stealthily?

If these aren't problems you run into op after op, then get the fuck out, this thread isn't for you. :x :x :x

For the rest of us who have gear stowage problems, allow me to introduce you to the universal answer:

The drop leg platform.

http://black-tactical.com/store/images/ ... rig_03.jpg

The platform is essentially just like the name implies - it's a modular platform that is worn on the upper thigh, completely covered with molle webbing. The webbing allows you to attach hundreds of different sheaths, holsters, and pouches to the platform however you choose. The only limitation is the amount of webbing you have to work with, and how much is needed for your accessories. In the above picture, you can see how he's attached three large pouches to his platform, evenly spaced apart. Obviously not the best configuration for opping, but easily modified to become the perfect gear carrying device. instead of three large pouches, picture something along the lines of: a sheathed opping knife where the first pouch is, a small flashlight pouch and multitool pouch side by side in place of that middle one, and maybe some lockpicks, a first aid kit, or even an extendable baton in place of the third one. There are literally molle compatible pouches and sheaths for just about any type of gear you would want to bring on an op, and attaching a new pouch, or removing an old one from your molle straps takes literally seconds.

If you're fed up with having your gear sliding around on your belt between belt loops, or getting in the way while you're doing a parkour roll, or low crawl, then the drop leg platform is something you should seriously consider. I'll update this with some pictures of mine carrying my standard opping load sooner or later, but until then there are plenty of videos online showing how the pouches are attached, and examples of different loadouts people prefer to use.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Lucian Neo

Re: Drop leg platform

Post by Lucian Neo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:24 am

Due to my disease of lazyness I don't feel like looking for this online. So, how much would one of these cost?
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the hell is the ceiling?

People are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs;)

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:15 am

Hmm... I might actually invest in one of these, seems like a handy piece of kit. I know what you mean about gear travelling around your belt, particularly when crawling. This should solve that issue.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Neurotic Anomaly

Post by Neurotic Anomaly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:58 pm

My favorite equipment would obviously come from Opsgear, the place where good quality is born and raised.
My favorite leg rig thus far is as follows:

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/produ ... ty+Leg+Rig

Take a look at the different colors and setups of it. The pouches are also detacheable and they come with the leg rig upon purchase. The pouches viewed from left to right are a radio pouch, a utility pouch, and a flashlight/pistol mag pouch. Others can be purchased, though the default setup is only setup I forsee ever really needing.

I also know the problems unstable gear can bring. The last few ops I've ran I was wearing a hoodie and the only place I could keep my gear while still being able to get at it quickly was the large "pouch" on it. It was a bitch, especially when sprinting across open areas and crawling.
שד ציד

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:28 am

MOLLE based systems are definitely the way to go.

Modular ones are perfect for adapting to whatever location you're aiming for. Just can be damn pricey..
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Neurotic Anomaly

Post by Neurotic Anomaly » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:03 pm

Amen to that.

I'm okay with pricey to a reasonable extent, just as long as I don't happen to purchase a lemon. Even the most reputable names, such as Opsgear, slip up from time to time with the manufacturing. But most of the time it's nothing can't be worked out with a simple phone call, as far as my experience goes at least. As long I get what I pay for, I can handle pricey.
שד ציד