Need NV Camera

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Lucian Neo

Need NV Camera

Post by Lucian Neo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:13 am

So I need a good quality, Cheap, night vision camera. This really needs to be a digital, quick and easy to load to a computer, camera. does anybody have a good place to buy it from? Post a link if possible. I'd rather have a NV Cam. than a regular cam with flash due to the fact that flash is ...well......flash. There are, to me, A LOT of downsides to using the flash on a camera. So NV would be much better.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the hell is the ceiling?

People are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs;)

Xanatos

Re: Need NV Camera

Post by Xanatos » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:09 am

The flash isn't that much of an issue, if you're using it for Dare ops. Unless you're taking multiple shots in an area that's likely to be occupied by awake personnel, it's not really worth the investment to purchase a nightvision camera. If you're worried about the flash many cameras have an adjustable ISO that increases camera exposure for shooting in low-light conditions. Photos may turn out a little blurrier, but you don't have to worry about flash and high ISO images have a greater range than a flash can produce.

If you're determined, however, to get a night vision camera this site is the closest I could find. If you can't find what you're looking for then you can try building your own (Kipkay's channel on youtube has instructional videos on how to build similar devices).
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Lucian Neo

Post by Lucian Neo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:41 pm

OK, Thanks
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the hell is the ceiling?

People are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs;)

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:37 pm

Moddy and i were talking about IR cameras a few weeks ago, as i've been in the market for one myself. Obviously thermal imaging is insanely expensive, and a good thermal imager like a FLIR is going to cost upwards of $2500 usd, at the very least.

IR cameras, however, are another story. I've found two models that i'd consider buying, one moreso than the other -

First pick: http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/ca ... aphy/e5b5/

Roughly $100 usd for a decent quality IR camera. Reviews are mostly good, or at least as good as you'd expect for a hundred dollar camera. If you're on the fence about this one, i'll be getting one in the next couple months, so just hold out and i'll put up a review with some pictures.

Second pick: http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CGEQ8wIwAA

$85 usd, seems a little on the cheap side but still a true IR camera. Also 12 megapixel, and seems to have a decent amount of features for the price.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Lucian Neo

Post by Lucian Neo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:42 pm

Therin the Hand wrote:Moddy and i were talking about IR cameras a few weeks ago, as i've been in the market for one myself. Obviously thermal imaging is insanely expensive, and a good thermal imager like a FLIR is going to cost upwards of $2500 usd, at the very least.

IR cameras, however, are another story. I've found two models that i'd consider buying, one moreso than the other -

First pick: http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/ca ... aphy/e5b5/

Roughly $100 usd for a decent quality IR camera. Reviews are mostly good, or at least as good as you'd expect for a hundred dollar camera. If you're on the fence about this one, i'll be getting one in the next couple months, so just hold out and i'll put up a review with some pictures.

Second pick: http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CGEQ8wIwAA

$85 usd, seems a little on the cheap side but still a true IR camera. Also 12 megapixel, and seems to have a decent amount of features for the price.
That's actually around the price range I was looking for! :D If you get one, please post up a pic or two that you took with it and a review on the overall use-ability of the camera.