Improvised Vibration Amplifier

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
hX_

Improvised Vibration Amplifier

Post by hX_ » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:09 pm

This device is good for listening to movement and vibrations through doors and floors. Picks up on the smallest noise and is useful for using before entering rooms. I push the mic to the surface (door/floor) and stay completely still so as not to move it/provide extra noise myself.

Code: Select all

http://www.vulomedia.com/viewer.php?id=92030PICT1280.jpg
Made with a few bits of wire, dissasembled bits of a £1 kiddies "spy ear" and a battery pack. Then tinkered a bit. Runs off of a single AA battery, has a variable volume control and On/Off at the low end of the volume control.

Outputs to a normal size headphone jack which I'm currently making a one ear headphone for it, DJ style-ish! 8)

SilentKnight

Post by SilentKnight » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:09 am

It may not work quite as well but this can also be done with a stethoscope. They can be found at any healthcare store for around $10, for a cheapo.

hX_

Post by hX_ » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:58 pm

Actually a stethoscope would probably would a LOT better, as there would be no anomalies from the low quality digital amplification like the ones that my unit suffers from such as hiss/clipping.

Also, you don't have to worry about battery life or durability and finally you could probably use that on a combination lock if safe cracking works like in the movies.