pants needed

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Ghost

pants needed

Post by Ghost » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:49 pm

I've decided to scrap my old opping wardrobe and start completely fresh with some new stuff. Some of the older clothing i currently have for opping is over 8 years old, and looking pretty beat. i'm going to begin by getting rid of my old "unserviceable" stuff, and hopefully get two or three outfits suitable for opping in my usual locations - suburban, rural, and industrial. i do very little "urban" opping, so i'm not likely to end up in a city type setting.

Right now, i'm thinking about something like this: a set of dark(ish) camo BDUs for rural ops, and a black setup to act as "general purpose opping gear". I've always used woodland camo BDUs, but perhaps it's time to upgrade to something a little more modern? any suggestions? I had a friend who used mossy oak camo to good effect in rural settings, but i'd prefer something a little darker personally, as my opping frequently brings me through forested areas. The black outfit will probably just be a black version of whatever the camo outfit is, because i like having my pockets in familiar places.

Also, i'd like to keep this focused on the clothing, as that will be the only thing i'll be replacing. i've got near to a decade's worth of opping gear stashed away, so that's not a concern for me.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

mib

Re: pants needed

Post by mib » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:53 am

I've had success with Propper BDU trousers. I don't recommend the blouse though because the pockets are cumbersome.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:51 am

Try purchasing second-hand BDUs from surplus stores if at all possible, as they're generally cheaper, quieter and more comfortable. Pick whichever pattern best suits your environment and if they're too bright you can always darken the shade with some black dye.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:56 am

For some reason, secondhand BDUs are pretty difficult to find around here. It's much easier to get new stuff, and since i don't mind spending the money to upgrade right now that's not really an issue either.

I definitely do like BDU style the best though, any suggestions for a camo pattern that would work well for both wooded and suburban areas? Perhaps MarPat?

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:52 pm

A darkened multicam pattern should do the trick. Anything that's dark & earthy. I've seen some German grey & brown patterns but can't recall the name. If you can't find the right shade you're looking for then get whatever pattern you like best and darken it yourself. I did that with my Auscam trousers and they blend in better than my multicam, for the most part.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Neurotic Anomaly

Post by Neurotic Anomaly » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:08 am

It's probably to late to reply to this. By now Therin probably has his pants and much more. But who cares about that? lol

Anyone interested in camouflage to use at night should take a look at dark Navy Digital and Tiger Stripes. Primarily the pants. I personally don't normally wear matching tops and bottoms :P
They are both dark while the patterns break up your silhouette when standing against something. I personally find them to blend in better than other camos I have.
שד ציד

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:25 am

Unfortunately i'm still pantless, unless i wanted to run around wearing ABUs. :roll:

Propper's digital subdued urban looks pretty good, so these are looking like a good bet. Half the time i just wear black on top, so these look like they'll work well there too.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/propper-gen ... pstop.html

Lucian Neo

Post by Lucian Neo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:36 am

On the topic of multicam, I have a pair, And Neuro says there the best. But I'm doubtful. It seems (to me) to bright to hide in tall grass. I prefer to use Forest Pattern Camo BDU's. I have 2 pair, My good thicker ones are "Propper" Forest BDU's. And they cost me around $35-$45. I'm not sure if this helps you or not......But you get my opinon anyway.:P
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the hell is the ceiling?

People are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs;)

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:47 am

In my experience, multicam is better for arid regions like deserts, badlands, plains, or even some types of mountainous terrain. It's way to bright to be suitable for sneaking around suburban or rural areas at night, and while it does work somewhat well in forests, there are better patterns available IMO.

I'm sort of leaning towards either digital woodland, or that subdued digital urban.

Lucian Neo

Post by Lucian Neo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:53 am

That's about what my thinking on it was. Anything like desert terrain would be great. But for a forested area (Like around my location) and around cities, I don't see how it's as effective.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the hell is the ceiling?

People are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs;)

Neurotic Anomaly

Post by Neurotic Anomaly » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:58 am

Given your two options, I would definitely go Subdued Urban. The only real woodland digital is marine digital, which is also one of my favorites.

I favor digital because it's ability to break up a silhouette is almost unprecedented by other patterns or schemes. One of my opping partners has a pair of dark navy digital BDUs:

http://airsoft-club.com/shop/tactical-g ... -blue-camo

As far as concealment, these are some of the best I've seen. But once again, digital is usually the best. Except for army ACUs. I hate those. lol
שד ציד

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:35 am

Digital subdued urban it is then. Let's hope that the 60/40 cotton/poly ripstop fabric is at least semi quiet.

Lucian Neo

Post by Lucian Neo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:53 am

When you get em, can you post a review on them? It's one thing to hear it from a "Business" site, and another thing to hear it directly from the users, un-biased

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:09 am

Therin the Hand wrote:Unfortunately i'm still pantless,
That brought up a hilarious image about the importance of stealth on ops. :lol:

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:08 pm

Xanatos wrote:
Therin the Hand wrote:Unfortunately i'm still pantless,
That brought up a hilarious image about the importance of stealth on ops. :lol:
Keep your eyes open for my "in the nude" dare ops challenge this spring 8)

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:24 pm

Dare: Nude Ninja/Stealth Streak/Going Commando (perform an op in the nude)

Difficulty: Image

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:10 am

About time more people starting using digital subdued urban. That shit rocks, I've been using it for years. Best all around night camo there is in my experience. Some terrains favor other pattens, but there's really no situation where the subdued urban doesn't work at least a little bit.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

mib

Post by mib » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:58 am

So it's everything the ACU isn't.

Neurotic Anomaly

Post by Neurotic Anomaly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:45 pm

Everyone's talking about the nude op idea! I was going over plans to do that very thing not to long ago.

Damnit I need to start posting these ideas when I come up with them... :?
שד ציד

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:20 pm

MIB wrote:So it's everything the ACU isn't.
I will never understand the big push to get everyone changed over to ACU/ABU... there were several choices that were clearly better which were either in development or already out at the time. Both multicam and ATACS wold have been a thousand times better for what we're doing over in the middle east right now. Although i have heard some rumors floating around that we will be switching everyone over to multicam within the next few years...

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:20 am

Wasn't multicam the original replacement choice? Why in the name of Mother Nature did they choose ACU? Probably because it's cheaper methinks, like how the US military chose the Beretta M9 over the SIG Sauer P226 (far superior) as their standard sidearm because it was cheaper to buy in bulk.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:26 am

Xanatos wrote:Wasn't multicam the original replacement choice? Why in the name of Mother Nature did they choose ACU? Probably because it's cheaper methinks, like how the US military chose the Beretta M9 over the SIG Sauer P226 (far superior) as their standard sidearm because it was cheaper to buy in bulk.
mmm - If it's anything like defence procurement over in the UK; it's because they're bloody stubborn.

Take our service weapon - the SA80. It was truly dreadful - to the point they sent it to H&K for work; end result was H&K basically rebuilt all the internals and modified most of the externals. All together the price was probably more than taking another 5.56 (tried and tested) weapon off the shelf, and the money that would've been spent with the UK Industry was shipped out to Germany anyway in the end. Awesome, eh? Oh, and it was the adaptation of an older Lee Enfield weapon that wasn't even intended to be chambered for 5.56, so from the very begining they were stubborn. Adament that it just had to be this design - regardless of the effectiveness or technicalities; purely because it was a design that they had already invested time in. :roll:
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:46 am

Pfft, they should just chill out and throw some bombs.

Neurotic Anomaly

Post by Neurotic Anomaly » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:05 pm

Shit, over in the Middle East, you should save your bombs and just drop pork. :D
שד ציד

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:47 am

MIB wrote:So it's everything the ACU isn't.
At least at night. All you need to do is look around on a moonlit night and see that the colors, which are basically just shades of blue and monochrome, match up perfectly with the pattern. With artificial lighting, generally there won't be enough to reveal color to the point that the camo stands out either. Would the appropriate daytime pattern be better in a given area at night? Sure. But the subdued urban still works in any location unless you are absolutely soaked in lights. It's what basic black or navy blue wishes it could be.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

mib

Post by mib » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:49 am

It sounds good but I wish I had a visual chart or something.