Least commonly used item.

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Illusion

Least commonly used item.

Post by Illusion » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:31 am

Common guys, be honest now. What's the most useless item you pack, or the ones you use the least?

I'll give you mine - Glowsticks and a Foil Blanket. These were in my rucksack for about a year, and I remember thinking "These are useless, I know they are, I haven't touched them and I should probably ditch them.. but they've got to be useful for something, I just know it. I wouldn't throw my first aid kit out because I haven't used it..".

Well, then came the day I acted on the urge and took them out and left them in someones car. Needless to say, that night we needed to test the depth of something and my laser pointer wasn't doing a very good job of it, I couldn't use torch light without lighting myself up... Guess what we ran back to the car to get? Yep, the glow sticks!

Then a few months later, having learnt my lesson I put both items in my bag - and I had to use the foil blanket to crash out on a site.. :lol:
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

fx1k

Re: Least commonly used item.

Post by fx1k » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:37 am

I've had similar episodes with my mini binoculars, but that was very early into my opping career. Forget them when I need them and bring them when I don't...

The item that I use the least would be my 9-LED flashlight. It's bright as hell, and I usually keep a strict light policy. On most operations I don't use a flashlight at all. I seldom use a dim red light that I carry around. I don't think I've ever used the brighter one. I'm not going to ditch it though because inevitably I will need it one day.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:31 am

I've yet to use my metsu-bishi (blinding powder) on any op, and my knife sees a similarly limited use. However, I apply the condom policy to these bits of kit; I'd rather have one and not need it, than need it and not have one.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:23 pm

fx1k wrote:I've had similar episodes with my mini binoculars, but that was very early into my opping career. Forget them when I need them and bring them when I don't...

The item that I use the least would be my 9-LED flashlight. It's bright as hell, and I usually keep a strict light policy. On most operations I don't use a flashlight at all. I seldom use a dim red light that I carry around. I don't think I've ever used the brighter one. I'm not going to ditch it though because inevitably I will need it one day.
Ohhh man! Don't get me started on overkill torches! A few years back I managed to get hold of about 6 flashlights that amounted to quite a bit of money - and I can honestly say that it's been my 3D Cell Maglite and 2AA Maglite which have both lasted the longest. (Although, the 3D Cell Maglite has recently entered retirement :P)

Purely as they're not too bright, have some self-defence value and are durable as hell.
Xanatos wrote:I've yet to use my metsu-bishi (blinding powder) on any op, and my knife sees a similarly limited use. However, I apply the condom policy to these bits of kit; I'd rather have one and not need it, than need it and not have one.
Dude, you've literally just made me crack up laughing at the condom policy. However, I'm right on you with that - I guess glow-sticks, foil blanket and first aid kit are all condom policy for me; however - condoms I don't really mind not using. :P
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:21 pm

I just heard that line from the Aliens vs. Predator movie, I don't actually carry a condom. Although if I did it'd be for slightly different purposes...
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:18 am

For awhile I carried mini binoculars. Absolutely worthless. Now if I know I need to see something from a long distance I'll take a land scope or larger binoculars for that recon operation alone. I'm kind of that way with most of my items, though. The only "EDC" for night ops I have is a flashlight, multitool, basic lock pick kit, compass, lighter, and sometimes field knife. My field knife tends to just sit around most of the time but being a woodsman before anything I feel naked without it.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:56 am

As far as optics go I typically carry a monocular in a belt pouch. Compact, mostly unnoticeable and comes in handy now & then when I need to take a look at things in the distance.

The Atomic Fishy

Post by The Atomic Fishy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:55 am

i use my optics a fiar amount, mostly on entry though to check my area before i leap sort of speak.

what is use least though. is my hand cuffs, mace, and stun gun. i am rarely detected so they are rarely used. i think i used the stun gun once and only to scare off some one.

i keep them though because i am trained on them and i like having them for when i will need it.
in a society that has abolished all adventure, the only adventure left is to abolish that society.
NO hobo codes-http://no.surgen.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=6527#p6527
Op tag: ATOMFIS

meameajones

Post by meameajones » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:59 am

2 flashlights, haha. I only needed one.
the post above is a purely fictional story made up for entertainment purposes and/or just a hypothetical depiction of what could happen. any resembelence to any actual persons, places, things or events are entirely unintentional and coincidental.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:58 pm

I have a small monocular that i keep in with all my op gear, but it almost never gets used. My "standard" op loadout is usually only a knife, flashlight, and lockpick kit.

There's also a small, handheld hacksaw that i keep in with my op gear, which hasn't been used once. Sort of forgot about it to be honest.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."