Some things to consider.

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
II CraftyCommando II

Some things to consider.

Post by II CraftyCommando II » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:04 pm

I live in a rural community, as i am sure a great number of you do as well.
In communities like ours, we can use our natural surroundings to our advantage. Woods, streams, fields, trees, and even hunting paths are a great resource for an OP. However, this comes with several drawbacks. On long ops, your gear will become a burden, so remember some rules of nature and outdoormanship.
1- Leave No Trace. Everything you leave behind can not only be traced back to you, but also damages your environment for later use. be aware that animals reside in the wilderness you may be using. Disturbing them can reveal you. "It's quiet... too quiet." has spelled the death of many an OP.
2- Cotton Kills. if you ever have to cross a stream, work in snow or mud, get trapped in the rain, or even sweat profusely, any cotton clothing will absorb moisture, weighing you down. this moisture trapping can also lead to frostbite, hypothermia, and fatigue. instead, consider using polyester blends, or wool. these materials do not absorb as much water, and will dry out quickly, keeping you safer. trail clothing is also a good option for OPs because it is often durable, lightweight, and resilient to tears and other damage.it will last longer than street clothing.
3-This considers footwear. weight and traction are your two biggest factors here. Steel toes, gym shoes, and even parkour shoes are not such a good idea. Again, I recommend trail shoes. They're warm, light, and low profile. They often come in subdued colors like brown and black, And they're cheap as well. Its a good idea to keep an extra pair of shoelaces tucked away somewhere, in case the laces get snagged on some barbed wire or what have you. Also, before entering a building, it is a good idea to either remove your shoes altogether, or at least wipe/stomp them off. trailing evidence of your presence into the building invites disaster.
4-General equipment. While it might be nice to spend very little on your equipment light lights, gloves, and other tools, remember that even moderately priced equipment is generally made from better quality materials and is likely to last longer without need for replacement or repair. it is also less likely to fail you when you need it most in the field. A $50 headlamp with subdued red and blue LEDs is a much better option than a clumsy $15 maglite for example.
I am not claiming to be an expert on any of this, but I am an experienced in the outdoors, and wanted to contribute some of my experiences. if you have any questions or comments, or even improvements, I am happy to hear them, just PM or leave a reply
We’re all miserable together.

It’s the opposite of a victimless crime.

NightKnight

Re: Some things to consider.

Post by NightKnight » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:18 pm

nice stuff crafty, making an addition to that:

i live in a kind off sub urban area but there are a lot of fields and wooded areas around where i live, i have noticed that going into concrete and tarmac areas after a log walk through farmers fields ( very muddy and wet) i track that mud all over the place, leaves a trace of my being in places i shouldn't, and worst case scenario a path to my house. could be prudent to pack some water to wash the soles of shoes, or use an outside tap of a nearby house.
Night, a more perfect day.

II CraftyCommando II

Post by II CraftyCommando II » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:53 pm

NightKnight wrote:nice stuff crafty, making an addition to that:

i live in a kind off sub urban area but there are a lot of fields and wooded areas around where i live, i have noticed that going into concrete and tarmac areas after a log walk through farmers fields ( very muddy and wet) i track that mud all over the place, leaves a trace of my being in places i shouldn't, and worst case scenario a path to my house. could be prudent to pack some water to wash the soles of shoes, or use an outside tap of a nearby house.
I always pack my hydration system... its light enough to be practical. and, as you can see, practicality is my major concern.
We’re all miserable together.

It’s the opposite of a victimless crime.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:28 am

Useful tips, Commando.

Another thing about clothing: poly-blended fabrics & such are preferable for wet and cold environments, but for operations in warmer weather cotton is preferable as it's lightweight and breathable. While it's important to fight off hypothermia and frostbite in cold weather, it's just as important to avoid sweating excessively and getting dehydrated. Not to mention letting off a strong odour that can be smelled by animals or keen humans.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.