Distractions

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
II CraftyCommando II

Distractions

Post by II CraftyCommando II » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:43 am

So... i have a crazy idea...
On an op suddenly you hear someone investigating around you. Could you toss out one of these http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/e200/?
its a sound grenade... emits a high frequency noise...
creatively used, it could distract long enough for a cunning escape;.
We’re all miserable together.

It’s the opposite of a victimless crime.

Xanatos

Re: Distractions

Post by Xanatos » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:59 am

Throwing a rock or coin would probably be just as effective, although if you need a more attention-grabbing sound that thing could do the trick. But $10 for something you probably won't get back? I'd prefer to use whatever's available.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Lucian Neo

Post by Lucian Neo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:10 am

HAHA! It's basically a flash bang without the flash. I would pack one myself. However, this is NOT suitable to distract ONE guy. This would attract A LOT of attention. And as any oper knows, Attention = BAD! You would probably do better with like a smoke grenade or one of those fire crackers that put out a lot of smoke. These are quiet, Not as easy to see at night, and it will cover up your movements so that you could make a quick get-a-way. However, If you do pack a smoke grenade make sure you do not run into the hostile.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the hell is the ceiling?

People are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs;)

Neurotic Anomaly

Post by Neurotic Anomaly » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:25 am

First of all you have to decide whether or not he person has already detected you. If they simply hear or suspect something, but have not visually confirmed your presence, you'd be better off backing away to better location quietly.

If the person in question has seen your body, not just your silhouette, then I guess it would work. If you wanted more people to know where you are that is.
In that scenario there are dependent factors for what you would do. I carry Pepper Spray if it's a sudden, close altercation. Knowing how to break contact from a potential attacker is also an indispensable skill to have. If it is at a distance, having a knowledge of pursuit and aggressive escape is useful. There is a thread for that here: http://night-ops.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ive+escape

Now, not saying I wouldn't carry one. But it would be used as a last resort option when all others have been exhausted, not the first thing I would rely on.
שד ציד

Urgon

Post by Urgon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:20 am

AVE...

Stupid idea, not crazy. If you need distractions, then learn how to make some basic pyrotechnic compounds, like smoke flares and flash powders. These are more useful than some weird electronic gizmo's, that are expensive. If you are going to make them, then remember one thing: NO METAL! Especially with flash powders, as those can create pressure big enough to turn into grenades, which is not only unsafe and deadly, but can be used to forge terrorism charges...
"We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Airship pirate...