Wrist Watchs

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Post Reply
User avatar
V-S
Member
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:11 am
Location: The Void
Contact:

Wrist Watchs

Post by V-S » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:15 am

Curious about peoples opinions on them for NightOps?

Tactical/Military watches have a ton of features, mostly suitable for survival settings. The feature I want the most (apart from telling the time) is voice recording, though it seems to be a niche feature not included in most watches.
The Sun is down, time to go to work.

User avatar
Psychlonic
Member
Posts: 1202
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:30 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Wrist Watchs

Post by Psychlonic » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:53 am

I almost always wore them, using it to figure how much time I could reasonably spend in an area while leaving needed time to get back to where ever before daylight hit. It can be difficult to keep an accurate track of time at night otherwise.

Personally my go-to was always a basic bitch digital. In the beginning I'd use the timer to try to limit my time in certain areas but I found it was quicker and easier to just mentally compare my entry time to current time. Also the illuminator is nice, I know they make traditional watches with glowing hands but the illuminators are really dim and discretely looking when nobody was around didn't hurt anything.

Also developed a preference for really low profile bezels. Something like a chunky Casio G-Shock profile you wouldn't think would make much of a difference and 99% of the time it didn't, but the remaining 1% was bothersome.

As far as newer features, I think it's a matter of "if it works, it works". If it can be worn in a manner that doesn't present any problems, there's no real issue. Only thing I can add is to pick one you're not afraid to break.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

User avatar
Xanatos
Moderator
Posts: 2675
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:51 am
Location: The last place you look.
Contact:

Re: Wrist Watchs

Post by Xanatos » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:24 pm

I've got one that's water & shock-proof, has an 3-second illumination, alarm, countdown timer and compass. Only cost like $70 too. Lots of neat features that could come in handy for an op.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

User avatar
Sleven
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:38 am
Contact:

Re: Wrist Watchs

Post by Sleven » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:04 am

Voice recording feature is interesting. Use for field notes... and or, recording conversations in public...

You probably already know! But when on an Op, wear the watch so the face is on the inside of your wrist. Helps to mitigate light reflections, etc, etc, etc.

And with proper watch etiquette, wear the watch on the opposite hand to your dominant / action hand. 8)
[ Exit The Faketrix ]

Post Reply