Question about camo

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Mist

Question about camo

Post by Mist » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:47 pm

Hi all. It's been a while since I last opped or at least learning about it and walking around at night but I've decided to get back to it when the weather gets cooler now.

So last year when I went opping my cloths consisted of black pants and a black jacket. But I was able to get my hands onto some woodland bdu pants that would probably work better. I mainly use the jacket because it has a hood that I use as a substitue for a mask. Now my question is if it's a bad idea to combine the woodland pants with a black jackets because of the color differences.

Xanatos

Re: Question about camo

Post by Xanatos » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:46 pm

No. I combine camo & solids quite a bit actually. There's nothing faux pas about it.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

F3R4L

Post by F3R4L » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:57 pm

What do you guys think about night camo patterns? How good are they compared to solids? Does anyone use them on ops?

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:07 pm

I've used Kryptek Typhon, Multicam Black and some other unspecified patterns. In low-light against dirt or mottled concrete they work reasonably well, but the difference between dark urban & solid camo is marginal. Unless you're partially concealed amongst similarly splotchy terrain (such as rubble) it's not the best 'camouflage' in the traditional sense. Rather, it helps to break up your silhouette by introducing artificial depth to the humanoid shape. Only works in niche applications, but if it's even 5% better than solid black there's no reason not to wear it.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Kyubii Meos

Post by Kyubii Meos » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:43 am

The usage of effective camo is nuanced and requires a fair deal of forethought on your part, since you know your behavior and environment best.

The only reason I could fathom to not use certain camo, would be if they clash with where you're trying to blend in.

Woodland will make you stand out more than wearing solid colors if you're mostly amidst solid colored backgrounds such as most urban environments.
Shadows that might have hidden you before, since you were in all black, might not work quite as well depending on how bright the lighter tones in the camo are.

Also a rule of thumb, the more detailed a camouflage, the more suited toward being stationary it is. If you run or parkour a lot on your journey, solid color or blob camo will perform better than realtree.

Apache_X47

Post by Apache_X47 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:26 pm

Hi there...
My answer might be very short ... if I wanted to get into the woods in a stealth approach I would only use brown, grey, faded orange, dark green or somthing in between. In my opinion black color would work only in rainy woods where most of plants are wide and the sun light is realy weak ,by using those colors you wanna mimic the color of wood land . However it's not about mimicking but you want the light to reflect on you in a way that doesn't make stand out from that environment and being detected easily.