The Night Ops Wiki Guide

Important messages about the site will be posted here.
Psychlonic

The Night Ops Wiki Guide

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:14 am

Well NON, it is with a bit of shame I admit I ended up losing the free time I'd been allotting to this project and therefore am woefully behind where I would have liked this to have been at release. Still, a promise is a promise. Here is the temporary gateway to the wiki:

https://nightops.net/wiki/doku.php?id=nonet_wiki

Consider this still a concept, rough draft, prototype, etc. I do have a lot more work I've been sorting in text form locally to be rewritten and added, this release doesn't mean my contributions have reached an end. Supposing things go as expected, efforts should increase again mid-January. You'll notice what's present is mostly a framework with fleshed out areas primarily consisting of core concepts that are more skill/knowledge based rather than relying on specialized tools, with an occasional tangent that occurred while writing on-site. Still, it is my hope you'll get a rough feel for where this is going in terms of tone and the integration of information.

I'm still waiting to hear some things back from Secant so for now there's no contributions subsection nor can the wiki currently be made a more prominent site feature. That being said, I'd love any feedback from users about the overall tone. The information I'll admit is a scattergun pattern of completeness with nearly everything needing work done still. Regardless, anything you'd like to add or see, mention it.

You'll notice I've tried to make the information less the writings of an individual but that of a collective and directed squarely at each individual reader. I'm curious how you feel about this approach as well.

Despite the incompleteness, I would still appreciate any brutally honest opinions on where this seems to be going if you have any.

ORIGINAL POST:

Release Date: Christmas

As has been mentioned elsewhere, work is being done to create a new "guide" of sorts to supersede the older material. The motivation for such can be read in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=7&p=17016#p17016

I want to start off by mentioning that although I am still the stubborn traditionalist I've always been in regards to "night ops" as an activity, this work has been geared more toward stealth overall. The reader can decide their own methods and the work caters to the imagination on that level. With the ancient debate popping up yet again, I felt I should include this disclaimer. Whatever styles you use there will be information that helps you out.

The scope and scale of the work has expanded far beyond my initial ideas and is going to end up rather massive. I had hoped for a release at the end of this month but I would like to push that to my later, end of year timing. There are still many sections that are frameworks I would like to flesh out to be more concise and I feel like this can be done on time.

No matter what, this roll out will happen at the end of the year for your viewing. While I'm currently the only one working on this, it also contains writings from other members that have been slightly reworked to better reflect the less personal nature of the project. Further, it will only initially begin as a work from myself. The intention is for it to evolve beyond me with anyone able to contribute new or superior information moving forward. Secant is currently busy, but eventually I'm hoping we can create a new forum section for any member to create topics discussing the guide content. More on this when we reach that point, but I do not want it to become some sort of status symbol. It should be purely about the information. There is simply nothing else out there that will be quite like it and any information that comes forward and can be shown to be valid deserves consideration. It should be peerless in quality someday.

After the new year, I'm almost positive I will still continue to work on it adding more content. So what ends up being released will hardly be the full scope. Plus being a wiki we can include more obscure, conditional ideas that won't get in the way and bloat it as would happen with a traditional guide format. Not interested? Don't click, just keep reading the subject you're on.

If anyone is interested in contributing immediately, we could really use more video shorts for techniques that are well known. Methods of walking, crawling, rolling, climbing, etc. These videos will be embedded alongside of an appropriate description. I'm also using easily available photos for illustration purposes currently. I had considered somehow homogenizing these to fit the theme of the site, but I feel like the end result was a little tacky. If anyone has suggestions, they are very welcome. Images include various equipment and thematics to go alongside information.

No matter where the community goes from here, whether we grow or slow to near halt, this wiki is intended to become a solid bedrock for anyone on the internet looking for quality stealth information that is easy to navigate. Let's make it the resource we all wish we had starting out!
Last edited by Psychlonic on Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Intruder

Re: The Night Ops Wiki Guide

Post by Intruder » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:07 pm

Nice. I really must just get around to writing up my own thing and putting it to PDF sometime soon. I bet there's a silent majority here waiting for a 2.0. Should be cool.

Fabulous_Fabio

Post by Fabulous_Fabio » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:29 am

Good idea.
I'll contribute in the reconnaissance section :D
NEVER GIVE UP .
WHO DARES WINS.
HAVE THE WILL TO WIN AND SURVIVE
ALWAYS BE READY TO GET SOME KNOWLEDGE

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:48 pm

Thread updated. Sorry to disappoint, gentlemen. Further work should begin mid-next month.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

V-S

Post by V-S » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:43 am

Looks good for it's first version.

Apologies if this has been explained already, but regarding contributions, are they going to be submission and approval only by a select few only? or will all users be able to edit and add? What is the ideal system you want regarding that?

Of course it wouldn't make sense to allow anyone to contribute because of vandalism. I personally would like to see a few dedicated and trusted users have editing privileges. But then there is another problem of what if we don't agree with or don't like the way a topic is covered? I'd like to think we have enough respect for each other collaboration and come to an agreed way to cover topics.
The Sun is down, time to go to work.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:36 am

Personally, until it's more of a complete core guide I'd like to go that route; currently just staff updating the wiki itself. As far as approving content goes, I don't have a real plan there if we're being honest! My rough idea was to have a new forum section where a user could create a topic either suggesting new content or edits to existing content, write it all out, and everyone kind of looks at it for a "yea" or "nay". But, again, it's not in stone. At some point the editing torch will need to be passed on as well. I'm also not sure how to resolve credit, personally I'm not seeking any for my work I want it to just be known as a peer-reviewed resource and not some weird flex but... I can see some fits being thrown thinking ideas are being stolen or whatever so we'll see. Guess it's up to everyone else, there.

Submissions can also be later improved as well, so, let's say someone comes in and suggests a defeat for wifi cams or whatever. They'd write it out exactly as they want it to appear in the wiki, people look and verify that it's an authentic method. Let's say it doesn't take something into account, whatever that may be. That's fine, that can be added later.

For now, my only personal request to anyone is to try to keep the writing formal and focused purely on stealth. Try to avoid personal anecdotes and such, like "my own personal method" and for now, no lightning links/glock switches/etc.

Once this is out of its infancy, everyone can kind of weigh in on how far reaching they want the totality of the project to be. We can also decide on editors and whatnot, since right now it's just a one-man show (in case that isn't obvious by how much of a skeleton it is...)

In the meantime, I suppose the "Suggestions" section can be used to create new topics on the matter and we'll consolidate them into the new section once Secant returns and can set that up?

Fabulous_Fabio

Post by Fabulous_Fabio » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:49 pm

Bro, will it be the main source of stealth for the internet??
And Can recommend me some military books (guides), which are useful for night ops?? (I've read alot but I see that you are more knowledgeable than me <33)
NEVER GIVE UP .
WHO DARES WINS.
HAVE THE WILL TO WIN AND SURVIVE
ALWAYS BE READY TO GET SOME KNOWLEDGE

Mr. Edgyman

Post by Mr. Edgyman » Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:30 am

Nice. I'm also behind on writing projects. There's another op report and an learning report that I still need to write but I've been slacking off and playing some new games I got. I suppose it's okay since I've worked hard all year on the learning/writing project so some time off to recover could do me well.

On the matter of giving credit to people on the Wiki. I personally don't care much about it and think it could potentially slow down updates as well as make the reading experience a bit annoying depending on how it's implemented, for example, every two lines having something like "Credit to X User for discovering this".

I'm also not a big fan of how some stuff is named, like in the Alibi section there's some very abstract names like "Out of Body Experience". I can't really come up with a better name and I guess it fits upon reading it so I guess it's okay though.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:24 am

^ That's valid, there is some placeholder material in there that's old work I plan on rewriting. That, the "Laws" and a few other pieces I'd like to update to the more common standard I've been trying to write at. But even with that being said, by all means don't hold back. Any feedback is still accepted and can be put to use in the future!

inphiltrator

Post by inphiltrator » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:11 am

loving the wiki so far! incomplete as it is, there's so much invaluable information to comb through. thanks a lot for writing this up, i cant wait to see new stuff added in future