Learning Parkour

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Nvulxa

Learning Parkour

Post by Nvulxa » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:37 am

I know that parkour's been discussed on the forum before so I thought I'd ask. Any tips on where I should start if I want to learn?
To see without being seen; To notice without being noticed.

V-S

Re: Learning Parkour

Post by V-S » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:33 am

Beginner tutorials on Youtube. Some moves might seem simple, but like any art you should do them 1000 times over to get a good grip of the fundamentals. Find a good area to train. If there is a gymnastics/foam jumping pit in your area, that could be the best place to learn flips. Perhaps meet a local group of other guys into parkour if you're social enough.

I've had a struggle getting into parkour. Local groups seldom meet up and only at daylight hours (which I am rarely awake for). And I haven't bothered looking at trying to access a gymnasium yet (I'm not very sociable.) I've found a nice open grass area that I'd practice vaulting and rolls at. But now I have a knee injury where if I run for even 5 seconds it starts to hurt bad. It's fucked. I possibly fucked it a few years ago when I had an awkward landing after jumping a fence and dislocated my knee. I watched it pop back into place immediately after it popped out.
The Sun is down, time to go to work.

Xanatos

Re: Learning Parkour

Post by Xanatos » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:03 pm

Like any art, just get out there and do it. Like V-S said, learn from Youtube tutorials on how to do the basic moves and practise on a safe surface, like grass in a park. Practise vaulting over fences & benches, precision jumping, wallrunning, landing safely and balance.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.