Flock Sheets - Super Neat, Super Impractical

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Psychlonic

Flock Sheets - Super Neat, Super Impractical

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:18 am

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrqpX7FXflA
This won't be seeing 'Gear' because it's way too expensive to be considered for ordinary ops gear. Still, I thought some here might be interested in seeing where light absorption tech at the civilian level has gotten. I find this super impressive!

What comes to mind immediately would be if there's a way to produce this far cheaper and use it in garments to create actually good illusions of depth. Many have tried this but honestly I don't feel like any have succeeded.

In the meantime throw this into your "fantasy material" bin until the cost comes down!
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Sicarius
Location: Possibly on a distant Mediterranean shore... one day

Re: Flock Sheets - Super Neat, Super Impractical

Post by Sicarius » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:29 am

Imagine a ghillie made out of this. People would see you, but you could just become a black blob or hole.
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:15 am

Getting some Durzo Blint vibes here. Might have some application in giving the illusion of depth (or lack thereof). If you had a cloak made out of this, you could just become a shadow on the floor.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Sicarius
Location: Possibly on a distant Mediterranean shore... one day

Post by Sicarius » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:26 am

I am pretty sure these things are so black that you will not blend in with shadows. You can just look like a strange hole somewhere though lol, and maybe people would not notice
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:04 pm

Well... it happened lol.

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9VaJKIO1JA
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:13 pm

Huh... this material is actually pretty cheap for what it is. Probably not as durable as ripstop, but definitely has great applications. Better yet, you could even just buy the Musou Black paint and add tigerstripes or other patterns to your clothing. Would definitely break up your form.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:44 pm

Right I was thinking something like that or perhaps the next-gen digital pattern that was passed over that had superior blending against night vision (I can't remember its name). The black would definitely make the other colors seem to stagger in depth and deciduous use could go a long way.