Gear and Training Are Overrated. Just Do It.

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Shadow Scout

Gear and Training Are Overrated. Just Do It.

Post by Shadow Scout » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:35 pm

My spurious generality is an observation, and a provocative claim: gear and training are overrated. Wits, cleverness, courage and willpower are 90% of the battle. Study what people have done with basically nothing else, like prison escapees and war survivors, and you’ll see my point. If guys can get out of prisons with bedsheets, wire and a spoon or whatever, what makes you think you need state of the art equipment, clothing, and Batman-level training? You don’t. You just need the wits and balls to do what you want. And that is very hard to buy or train. I am saying this as a challenge to people here (myself included) to focus on doing ops with what you have, not on trying to have the perfect gear and preparation. At some point, you have to “just do it.” /end of speech.

Sicarius
Location: Possibly on a distant Mediterranean shore... one day

Re: Gear and Training Are Overrated. Just Do It.

Post by Sicarius » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:49 pm

Agreed, except on preparation and whatnot. You should train your mind and formulate plans, no matter what, as that is what keeps you out of prison and able to better act under stress. I like my gear and other material stuff for operations, but I agree with you; willpower is far more important
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:57 pm

I concur with the both of you. Well said.
"If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal and if they can't stop you, you become something else entirely - legend, Mr Wayne."

Sleven

Post by Sleven » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:37 am

Yes!
[ Exit The Faketrix ]

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:22 pm

My first forays into opping were with Sam Fisher-tier gear (or at least what a teenager like me could afford at the time). Dressed to the nines with every bit of kit imaginable. After the first few ops though, I realised I never ended up using most of the shit I brought. This is where I developed the concept of a SOL - Standard Op Loadout - to trim down my gear to the bare essentials. Most of the time now I just bring a knife as a "just in case" and wing it. Unless I know I'll be operating in pitch blackness or need to bypass a lock, I rarely bring anything else.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.