Sicarius's Source of the Day

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Sicarius
Location: Possibly on a distant Mediterranean shore... one day

Sicarius's Source of the Day

Post by Sicarius » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:28 am

This thread is where I will post all of the cool information I find on the internet that is applicable to night ops. This could be fitness, camouflage, psychology, military, techniques, stealth, tactics, and more.

Do you have sources? Share them here!

If I forget to post something, remind me please.
Last edited by Sicarius on Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Sicarius

Re: Sicarius's Source of the Day

Post by Sicarius » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:33 am

Source of the Day: Advanced Isometric Training: Ballistic and Quasi Isometrics, https://www.thebioneer.com/advanced-iso ... sometrics/

This article discusses something I find interesting, which is quasi isometrics. An isometric is a strength exercise in which you are static. A quasi-isometric is any strength exercise that you choose to perform slowly, taking up to minutes to complete. This quote describes it well, "...quasi isometrics can be used to develop finesse and precision". This would be beneficial for stealth walking, and just slow movement in general. Control is what quasi isometrics give, which allows us to make our movement more silent and "fluid", allowing for quicker speed that still fools the human eye into not looking.

While I value speed, agility, and typical speed exercises, I believe quasi isometrics could make up two-thirds (2/3, 66%) of our fitness training. Quasi isometrics can also be applied to any movement already in your routine, so no need to completely change what you currently have.
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:09 pm

Source of the Day: The Ultimate Guide to Splatter Vision/Wide Angle Vision, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCPsoNG1mr4

This is a video discussing how to gain access and control of "wide-angle vision". Wide-angle vision focuses on more vision with less detail and is highly sensitive to movement. Our typical vision is called focal vision, which narrows down incredibly but with a high amount of details. In the realm of nocturnal operations, wide-angle vision would of course be very beneficial. This hippy guy explained the concept well, and he provided several techniques to gain better control of our wide-angle vision.

Additionally, this video and others repeatedly tell us that wide-angle vision is incredibly useful in low-light environments. If just a normal operator without NV or thermal, wide-angle vision is very helpful for environmental awareness. Even if you do use NV, thermal, or both combined, wide-angle vision allows you to see well if your device fails, in heavily lit areas, or when peripheral vision is needed more than your device.

Sleven

Post by Sleven » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:42 am

Sicarius wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:09 pm
Source of the Day: The Ultimate Guide to Splatter Vision/Wide Angle Vision, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCPsoNG1mr4

This is a video discussing how to gain access and control of "wide-angle vision". Wide-angle vision focuses on more vision with less detail and is highly sensitive to movement. Our typical vision is called focal vision, which narrows down incredibly but with a high amount of details. In the realm of nocturnal operations, wide-angle vision would of course be very beneficial. This hippy guy explained the concept well, and he provided several techniques to gain better control of our wide-angle vision.

Additionally, this video and others repeatedly tell us that wide-angle vision is incredibly useful in low-light environments. If just a normal operator without NV or thermal, wide-angle vision is very helpful for environmental awareness. Even if you do use NV, thermal, or both combined, wide-angle vision allows you to see well if your device fails, in heavily lit areas, or when peripheral vision is needed more than your device.
Thank you - this ones great. Something about the guy in the video tells me he's legit. He probably did some stuff in the Gulf War :roll:
[ Exit The Faketrix ]

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:58 am

Sicarius wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:09 pm

NICE link. I've been following him for a while too. He has great info on wilderness survival. Might I suggest his video on the fox walk.
"If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal and if they can't stop you, you become something else entirely - legend, Mr Wayne."

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:19 pm

Alright, so everyone loves the hippy veteran wilderness guy, I will include some more links from him eventually

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:10 pm

ReWild University has some great videos. Opping aside.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:16 pm

Source of the Day: Xero Shoes, https://xeroshoes.com/

Shoes for stealth are a highly complex topic, which many people seem to overlook, not research into, or just use thick "brick" boots. I plan on writing and filming content on stealth walks and gaits, but based off of what I know now, Xero shoes have some amazing products. They are cheap, and some come in "tactical" colors. The company is also run by a hippy couple(bonus?), since you guys liked ReWild so much.

Read the about page on their website, and the other content of theirs that explains barefoot shoes and the benefits. Check out their shoes and find which one you like best.

I own the "Prio", and think it is a good all-purpose operating shoe. It may be a little too thin, however, and lacks ankle protection to keep debris out. I want to purchase the "Daylite Hiker Fusion", which marries the ankle support and protection of a boot with all of the flexibility and myriad of benefits from barefoot shoes. Of course, if I do acquire these, expect a full written review and perhaps a video review.

Shadow Scout

Post by Shadow Scout » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:39 pm

Last edited by Shadow Scout on Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:31 pm

Xero shoes are zero have better variety, can have better traction, better protection, better materials, a 5,000 mile warranty, and a cooler appearance. By variety, I mean boots, low tops, different terrain etc. Traction depends, some water shoes may be better. Better protection than 30 dollar water shoes based on the design of the shoe and materials. And even if you break them, a 5,000 mile warranty is in place. This companies shoes are more durable than "Vivo barefoot", which is just overpriced and breaks quickly. Sorry if I sound passive aggressive, just trying to be precise :)

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:35 pm

Oh, and I forgot the main aspect; They are zero drop and barefoot, both of which are good for your overall health, fitness, and stealth itself. Most water shoes are not, unfortunately. Xero shoes does make a water shoe and sandals, and several waterproof shoes like boots.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:02 pm

Aqua/water shoes are great. They work just as good (if not better) than top-quality brands, are cheap as fuck and just as comfortable.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:10 pm

Same response as before regarding an argument against them.

I think it just depends on the operator's preference. Xero shoes and other barefoot brands undoubtedly offer some advantages but can be more expensive or hard to acquire. I prefer Xero shoes because of their health benefits, muscle building, and cooler appearance, but I can understand if others want to wear aqua shoes.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:10 am

Source of the Day: How to Train Reflexes, Focus, and Decision Making, https://www.thebioneer.com/how-to-train-reflexes/

Mental training is incredibly fascinating to me, so I decided to include this interesting article from The Bioneer. I believe this could be incredibly beneficial to night operations, especially focus and decision making.

No sources on Saturday and Sunday, I will be busy during the weekend

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:01 pm

Source of the Day: SuperFunctional Training, https://www.thebioneer.com/product/superfunctional/

Just buy it, this book is amazing! My favorite aspect is the simple fact that cognitive performance and training are discussed at all. The Bioneer also goes into detail about it, and of course the other subjects in the book. If you have 20 dollars to spare, buy it as soon as you can. You may also find a copy on the internet, I just would rather support the guy and his hard work into a quality product.

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:38 am

I concur. The man is closest to Batman compared to everyone I know. His knowledge is vast in all aspects that can be grown, but filtered in a way for practical implementation. The book perfect for anyone wanting to improve themselves to be more superhuman.
"If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal and if they can't stop you, you become something else entirely - legend, Mr Wayne."

Vengeance
Location: Every night look into the darkness and know I'm out there.

Post by Vengeance » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:59 am

Bruce Wayne wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:38 am
I concur. The man is closest to Batman compared to everyone I know. His knowledge is vast in all aspects that can be grown, but filtered in a way for practical implementation. The book perfect for anyone wanting to improve themselves to be more superhuman.
Only thing he might be missing are stealth skills.
Unless in his research he found this website and has been here all along?
It's the nature of this beast to feed upon the will to numb it, this monster brought the seed of life, well now i have become it.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:21 pm

That would be fucking awesome. I have thought about one day reaching about to him about stealth related fitness, asking some questions about what would be best for us from his perspective. However, that may be risky considering the size of his fanbase and depending on his course of action, so better not to

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:59 pm

He did have one video on being a "ninja" a while ago. He also owns several of Anthony Cumming's books. So his knowledge isn't nonexistent.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:21 pm

Source of the Day: Ben Prime information security blogger articles regarding stealth, multiple links

1. https://blog.benpri.me/blog/2021/01/19/ ... t-origins/
2. https://blog.benpri.me/blog/2021/01/16/ ... ut-timing/
3. https://blog.benpri.me/blog/2020/09/29/ ... lking-101/
4. https://blog.benpri.me/blog/2020/09/25/ ... l-stealth/

This guy works in the information security field, but his small blog covered several articles regarding stealth. Some are good, some I find mediocre, but I think they are all worth a read. And this guy was definitely a member here at one point, although I will not share who it was.

Shadow Scout

Post by Shadow Scout » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:12 am

Last edited by Shadow Scout on Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:18 am

I have been looking at the alarm polarity detector for sale there, I want to cut of the part that actually detects stuff and fuse it with another tool I have on my list.

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:15 am

Shadow Scout wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:12 am
I'm learning some good stuff from this channel: TheNotSoCivilEngr

He's a penetration tester, specializing in bypassing doors, social engineering, RFID, etc.

He has interesting tools for sale here: Red Team Tools
Oh shoot I've been learning from him too! This is incredible.
Just went to the site, didn't know it existed. That was simply beautiful. Lock bypassing heaven.

Sleven

Post by Sleven » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:50 am

Sicarius wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:21 pm
Source of the Day: Ben Prime information security blogger articles regarding stealth, multiple links

This guy works in the information security field, but his small blog covered several articles regarding stealth. Some are good, some I find mediocre, but I think they are all worth a read. And this guy was definitely a member here at one point, although I will not share who it was.
Just finished reading them all - so that last link- at the bottom of the blog there was a video titled "Modern Ninja's" - it's a removed YouTube video - anyone have a clue what it is or was?
[ Exit The Faketrix ]

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:35 am

Bruce Wayne wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:15 am
Shadow Scout wrote:

He's a penetration tester, specializing in bypassing doors, social engineering, RFID, etc.

Just went to the site, didn't know it existed. That was simply beautiful. Lock bypassing heaven.
Go to Sparrow's Lockpicks, they have even more stuff

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:35 am

Sleven wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:50 am
Sicarius wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:21 pm

Just finished reading them all - so that last link- at the bottom of the blog there was a video titled "Modern Ninja's" - it's a removed YouTube video - anyone have a clue what it is or was?
I am sorry, no clue though. I cannot recall watching it

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:20 pm

Sicarius wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:35 am
Bruce Wayne wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:15 am
Shadow Scout wrote:

Go to Sparrow's Lockpicks, they have even more stuff
I've been there before and it's very nice, but not as many bypassing tools.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:56 pm

Picking is important to learn, it increases brain plasticity, dexterity, is more silent, and can often be necessary for high security buildings. It is also useful to train ambidexterity, and it looks cool(which is important). However, I understand the fun of lock bypassing, hence why I have a set of bump keys

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:03 pm

Source of the Day: Defeating Your Sillhouette by use Psychlonic, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=674

Psychlonic and Xanatos wrote a lot of good stuff in the past, it is just so far back into the forum that I feel people may not go there to read it. Well, do so! There is some good material that serves as a basis for the topic, some things that WOTS or other guides may be lacking.

I chose this one by Psychlonic because I feel the topic is skipped over and it comes naturally to me. I pick out so many features and "things", while operating and everyday life, just from their shape. Disguising your own seems to be overlooked, and I have some ideas I want to share about mobile, comfortable, practical methods of eliminating the "head-shoulder" outline.

Xanatos tomorrow :)

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:02 am

Sicarius wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:56 pm
Picking is important to learn, it increases brain plasticity, dexterity, is more silent, and can often be necessary for high security buildings. It is also useful to train ambidexterity, and it looks cool(which is important). However, I understand the fun of lock bypassing, hence why I have a set of bump keys
Yes, I agree. Especially with brain plasticity. I just love short cuts. (Looking cool is indeed essential)
Also, sometimes speed is needed over silence. Lock picking a door is as shady as it gets when it comes to getting noticed. The faster you get that obstacle out of the way and pressing forward, is sometimes the better.

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:10 am

That was a really splendid post today! Definitely didn't think too much of that. I was thinking changing clothing for silhouettes.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:37 am

Thank you fine sir. I want to experiment and purchase one but a ghillie "viper" or "cobra" may do wonders, especially for tighter masks like balaclavas. you can get just netting for clean lines or ones with plants and stuff. After Xanatos, my next source is an amazing ghillie manufacturer. They are pricey but the features make them well worth it.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:12 pm

I got one of these ones: https://www.military1st.com.au/vvesccam ... v-cam.html

Haven't put it to the test yet, but it's pretty well made, light and compact to carry.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:17 pm

I meant a smaller one, but that one looks rather nice

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:42 pm

Source of the Day: The Wolf, the Serpent, and the Eagle by user Xanatos, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1461

While I dislike the mimicry to eastern martial arts, I think Xanatos makes a great point here. Switching mindsets, or tactics, is very beneficial in some situations, and these three forms seem to really be the basis of operating. I prefer "tactics" to "mindset", as I always put stealth first. However, both the Wolf and Eagle can still heavily relate to stealth, just in different ways. Overall, I like this source and you should read it.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:33 pm

Xanatos wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:12 pm
I got one of these ones: https://www.military1st.com.au/vvesccam ... v-cam.html

Haven't put it to the test yet, but it's pretty well made, light and compact to carry.
Holy shit! Wizard of Ops 2.0!
Seriously though, that's a neat piece.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:15 am

I, uh, forgot... 2 tomorrow?

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:06 am

Source of the Day: Training Ambidexterity for Enhanced Athleticism, Brain Function, & Muscular Symmetry, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCDEAyKZerY

I know I said I forgot today but I felt like a jackass so I posted something anyway. I love The Bioneer, and he coincidentally posted a video on a topic I was researching into; ambidexterity. I have some stuff on this and am in a rush, so I am not writing much. Just go watch it, and I will post about the uber ghillies tomorrow.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:00 pm

Source of the Day: ProApto Ghillie, https://www.proapto-ghilliesuit.com/

Before we go on, this product is expensive. This is for good reason though, as you will find out. These ghillie products are top of the line. They have many camouflage variations, you can pick materials, they have a "PVF" hood system to allow use of peripheral vision, and they can be multipurpose. By multi-purpose, I mean a ghillie suit cape can be used as a shelter, a hammock(the ghillie itself, nothing else to my understanding), and as a ghillie suit. They offer different sizes, different prices, and different materials. They even discuss which material is right for you. For example, they mention that one material is more silent while less visually concealing while another is louder but offers better concealment. And most of all, these ghillies are designed to conceal you to night vision, thermal, and an overlay device of BOTH! These are amazing, so if you want a ghillie or viper hood with vegetation, buy yours here. They have a certain number of slots a month, so you may have to wait.

Shadow Scout

Post by Shadow Scout » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:24 pm

Last edited by Shadow Scout on Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:51 pm

Deal with it for the camouflage is the typical line, which I agree with. But look at their website, they cover all of what you said, showing it not getting stuck, showing how much you can crush it into a compact size, and how it handles heat. A full body ghillie suit may, even with the benefits of ProApto, be burdensome. But a hood or cape? I doubt it

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:32 pm

I forgot...

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:04 pm

I picked up a 3D camo suit years ago because I got a great deal on it, it's a sort of a happy medium between camo and a ghillie suit. While it's a great piece of kit I envisioned using for hardcore recon at distance with a spotting scope, the reality is it's been a solution to a problem I'm still looking for.

A cloak might be handy in a tough E&E scenario perhaps. Dense terrain, certain fences, and other annoying obstacles could make it a real chore on the move but for more open areas and if it packs down tight enough it might not be a terrible throw-in for a small pack.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:17 pm

That was the idea behind my ghillie veil - something compact that's out of the way when not in use but can give the effectiveness of a ghillie suit when needed.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:52 am

Source of the Day: Stealth 101: Enter the Crouch, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qflu0RXJa4U&t=231s

Stealth Technique discusses crouching in this video. I find some parts good, other parts bad, but I feel he delved into the subject fairly well.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:15 pm

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:07 am

Ah, so that's what that pattern is called.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:02 am

Source of the Day: Hacker 101, https://www.hacker101.com/

Hacking may seem unrelated to night ops, but there are a plethora of reasons to learn it and become decent. I intend on writing more about it, but here are some key reasons. One, the world and security field are becoming dependant and utilizing technology more than ever, and will continue to do so. Therefore, as the ninja evolved with time, you do as well. Two, hacking can be used for sabotage, espionage, and more. This is useful for real world black ops or just the casual operator to perform surveillance or simply be curious and do something cool. Three, coding is great for your brain. It is akin to learning a new language, one which you can create many "things" with and is a useful and applicable field to night ops.

Edit: Forgot to mention I am doing this course in a few weeks or months, so I will write a review or summarize the basic parts applicable to night ops if you guys want?

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:05 pm

Hacking is not something I can claim any level of expertise in, so getting your feedback on how digestible this "101 course" is would be helpful.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:25 pm

Will try to do so then, it will just be a while