Solo Site Security

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Necrogue

Solo Site Security

Post by Necrogue » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:41 pm

It’s dark, you’re alone, and you’re delving deeper into potentially dangerous unknown environments, what measures do you utilize to safeguard yourself against possible discovery? Baby monitors have been discussed here before and can be a good personal site security system in certain scenarios, but let’s discuss other possible methods of providing personal protection on-site by means of early warning systems and/or slowing potential pursuers. Various triplines can be configured to alert you that you might not be alone. They have the benefit of being simple, cost effective, and easy to set-up, take down, and transport to and from your AO. The downsides to tripwires is that they could be considered ‘traps’ by law enforcement and would likely incur stiffer penalties than other methods.

Another simple and effective early warning system can be employed in facilities that have electricity. Most interior doors that enter interior spaces have a light switch just inside the door frame; there are simple methods for attaching string or other cordage, or even duct tape to both the door and light switch which will cause the light to be flipped on (or off depending on your operational needs) whenever the door is opened from the other side. If you are deep into a room and the light suddenly comes on or goes off this provides a rapid, ‘real time’ indicator that someone else has entered that space and evasive action is immediately necessary.

Similarly, something can be propped against a door that will tip, fall, or otherwise clatter if the door is breached. Additionally, you can slow or delay a potential breacher by using a simple doorstop wedge, although this too is not without some drawbacks. What other methods have people used and/or what other methods can you think of? Let’s use this thread to share and discuss ways, means, and methods of employing early warning systems and/or slowing potential pursuers.
“For a while they stood there, like men on the edge of a sleep where nightmare lurks, holding it off, though they know that they can only come to morning through shadows.” —J.R.R. Tolkien, ‘The Passage of the Marshes’, The Two Towers

Xanatos

Re: Solo Site Security

Post by Xanatos » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:06 pm

Empty cans propped upon slightly ajar doors or attached onto strings are popular alarm tripwires, although I've never had the opportunity or need to use them on an op before. Usually I'm wary enough of my surroundings to detect whether someone else is in the AO.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Sleven

Re: Solo Site Security

Post by Sleven » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:20 am

It'll have to be a pretty special circumstance, I'd imagine it'll be in a large house - possibly during the evening as the occupants are winding down or even the day. If you were able to discover the modem / router via infiltration, and if the opportunity presented itself, lightly loosen the power card at the back so it's half in / half out the router - disabling the wifi. Have your mobile / watch / device on silent and check every now and then for when the "discovered signal" comes back into play. - Meaning some ones obviously where the router is and fiddled around with it, giving you half an idea on their location - can also be used to bait targets into that location if needed.

One of many to keep in the playing deck.
[ Exit The Faketrix ]