Parkour’s Dark Sibling

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Necrogue

Parkour’s Dark Sibling

Post by Necrogue » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:06 am

Parkour is loosely defined as moving through one’s environment as quickly and efficiently as possible by taking the most direct routes through, over, under, etc. It’s undeniable that many of the practices of Parkour are hugely beneficial to Night Oppers, but with it’s stated objective of speed, it also has some drawbacks. For example, the quickest way over a wall might not always be the best way terms of stealth. Muscle ups might help propel you up onto and over a wall, but they also tend to silhouette you. There are numerous other examples, but I’m sure the point is made.

Another Night Op specific thing that Traceurs don’t typically account for is bypassing locks and other physical security.

As stated above, it is undeniable that Parkour has benefits to the Night Ops community and we can all benefit greatly from the practice, but I tend to practice Parkour in a darker, less traditional way. Instead of merely seeking to move through an environment as quickly and efficiently as I can, I practice moving through physical space as quickly and efficiently as I can quietly and stealthily. By making these adjustments and truly integrating them into one’s training paradigm you will enhance your physical and mental Night Opping acumen far beyond what is possible through more traditional approaches to Parkour and/or Freerunning. Adopting this new approach as part of your training paradigm also incorporates Parkour’s philosophy into traditionally non-parkour tasks such as lock picking and other physical security bypass skills development.

To wit, I propose a new term for this hybrid dark sibling of Parkour. Night Ops brethren, I give you......

DARKOUR!
“For a while they stood there, like men on the edge of a sleep where nightmare lurks, holding it off, though they know that they can only come to morning through shadows.” —J.R.R. Tolkien, ‘The Passage of the Marshes’, The Two Towers

Sicarius
Location: Possibly on a distant Mediterranean shore... one day

Re: Parkour’s Dark Sibling

Post by Sicarius » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:57 am

Sounds cool. Moving slowly is key to remaining undetected, as the human eye picks up movement. However, "darkour" could serve as E&E after you put distance from your pursuers
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince