Enhance and Specify your Workout for Stealth

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Sicarius
Location: Possibly on a distant Mediterranean shore... one day

Enhance and Specify your Workout for Stealth

Post by Sicarius » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:12 am

Introduction

Physical exercise, in my opinion, is very overlooked in the average operator's training. Due to this, I want to discuss some basic ideas I have regarding exercise. Please note, I am currently not very fit and my operational experience is limited. However, I have sources and research to back my claims to an extent. Also note, I am mainly focused on the "what" rather than specifically discussing routines and other such things, which I intend on doing later.

Defining the Types of Movement that occur

However, before we delve into types of exercise and movements, we need to briefly define what movements and their specifics occur in stealth. Stealth, generally, contains more slow movements than fast movements. Vertical jumps have more value than horizontal jumps, in my opinion. Climbing onto a building for infiltration or recon seems more common and necessary than jumping to and from obstacles, whether for stealth or E&E. While the whole body should be highly trained for stealth, legs are the most important and should be trained the most when first starting. Thighs, knees, ankles, and much else should be considered very important to prevent injury to yourself. Also, essential beginner techniques such as crouching, running, and somewhat crawling are more leg dependant. Climbing and other more advanced movements are just that; advanced, and since they require significantly more strength in other body parts, can be put off. Even climbing fences can be done utilizing legs, if necessary(hook technique, my green bean self uses this). Note, I am not saying other body parts should not be trained, I am simply saying legs are more important at first, and even with more experience, legs are more used. STILL, TRAIN OTHER BODY PARTS, USE YOUR BRAIN, I CANNOT DO SO FOR YOU.

Requirements for those Movements

Comprehending this information, we can now form our understanding of exercise requirements. My research and ideas conclude these are muscular endurance and control, cardiovascular endurance and control, slow movement, static positions. It is important to note endurance changes regarding whether it is applied to, for example, rapid parkour vs stalking an animal. Therefore, we are mostly focused on slow movement/endurance, however, fast movement/endurance is still necessary. Why should you believe what I have to say?

Defining the Requirements

"Stealthy" movement is generally slow. While faster movement occurs, slower movements are more common to be performed. This is incredibly basic, but if you need reasoning, the human eye is drawn to motion along with many animals. Pretty much every stealth guide, especially those regarding getting close to animals, describes slow movement. Additionally, slow movements have different effects on the body than fast movements. In fitness there is a saying, "you become what you train". This is why special operations units train, non-stop, shooting drills and force-on-force scenarios. The bunker Osama Bin Laden was hiding in was rebuilt in North Carolina, where the SEALS(Delta force, let's be honest lol) trained for weeks the operation. Therefore, we can assume we can better perform slow movements if we train slow movements.

Next, I want to discuss cardiovascular or muscular endurance and control. Endurance is the ability to keep performing the action for a longer period of time with less strain. Control is the ability to have precision over the muscle or cardiovascular system, and have it do exactly what you want.

The cardiovascular aspect of these two would be running and moving for the first, so just being able to breathe with less strain while in the field. The second, control, is a very interesting topic I want to discuss in another post. Here is a brief description though; for example, breathing heavily and/or loudly could give you away. What if you could control that?

The muscular aspect of these two is being able to perform movements for the first, such as crouching, for extended periods of time with less strain. The second, control, would be having precise control of your muscles. Stalking is an example of this. Stalking steps can take up to a minute or two to perform, according to many guides.

Static positions are also related to stalking, as well as observation and reconnaissance. These can sometimes be very easy to hold, such as prone, or very difficult to hold, such as freezing when glanced at on a stalk.

Fast movements are still necessary, of course. Whether it be in the form of running for E&E or training CQB, fast movement is still very real and necessary for stealth. Stealth itself may also require fast movements, outside of escaping, combat, and whatever else.

What can we do to accomplish this?

How can we train all of this, generally at least? It is not as complex as it seems. In fact, it can be as simple as performing a typical squat slowly rather than a typical speed. Try half-speed, then quarter speed, and so on(does not have to be mathematical, fuck math). Specific exercise types are another key concept, as well as the progression of difficulty. What the fuck is the point of 50 squats if you can do them with ease? Do 8, move onto a harder squat such as a pistol squat(I will write another post on it, but pistol squats seem to be a great exercise for stealth. Parkour teaches shrimp squats and pistol squats for slip and falls, but I think pistols have added value to stealth.). Same concept for pull-ups dips, push-ups, and pretty much everything else. Instead of just doing squats for legs, do stuff as wall sits, and more advanced versions. Try holding a mid squat, and then harder squat progressions, for certain lengths of time.

My two other key exercises are running and stretching, mobility, and joint prep. More on both in another post, but I will discuss them briefly. Running is fucking awesome! Just do it. I can provide hundreds of sources on running if need be lol, just do it! You need to be able to run, and fast, while in the field. Perhaps try training something like a 100 or 200-meter sprint, and then transitioning into a 5k run focused more on endurance? This could better simulate E&E in my opinion, but do whatever you like. Running also makes you happy due to t endorphins, and in my experience, you get more endorphins in a shorter time from running than another exercise (AN OPINION, NOT A TRUTH). Stretching, mobility and joint prep are vastly overlooked yet incredibly important. You could really hurt yourself if you do not practice these, at least minimally. More on these later as I am writing something regarding them.

Conclusion

To summarize my opinion, this is what I think; Workout, but perform many movements slowly rather than at typical speed. You may even find them harder when done slowly rather than fast. Train what makes sense. Is weight lifting or bodyweight strength more applicable to stealth? For cardio, which is more applicable, running or cycling? Just think about it, and use logic. I recommend you research, and physically test stuff out. What yields the best results? Thank you for reading this, and have a good day!

Hey there! You made it to the end! Always read the works cited, you may find some cool stuff. I am unsure of next week's big article, but the small one is related to self-defense. Give me ideas if you want.

What did you like about this article? What did you dislike? Give me feedback! Be an asshole if you want, power to you. Comment below or PM me. Thank you for your time, and have a good day!

WORKS CITED

1. https://www.amazon.com/Parkour-Strength ... 1517670896(This book is pretty good, I recommend you find it somewhere online or buy it)

2. https://joinfcf.com/slow-reps-or-fast-r ... cle%20size.

3. https://www.livestrong.com/article/4394 ... fast-reps/

4. https://www.trainheroic.com/blog/slow-r ... fast-reps/

5. My favorite source, a brain! If you own an AR-15 but train with a 12 gauge, will you be effective? No, so you train with the same weapon you intend on using. Same concept here, train mostly slow because in the field you are mostly moving slow. However, there are times when you go fast. So, also make sure to train fast! Balance it out, use your brain, and critically think. What makes the most sense, what yields the best results, etc?
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Xanatos

Re: Enhance and Specify your Workout for Stealth

Post by Xanatos » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:33 pm

Squats are good, as well as balance & back exercises (crouching for long periods does a real number on your lower back). Parkour in general is good for stealth training, especially vaulting & landing techniques. The goal is to land as quietly as possible in Parkour - if you've landed quietly, you've landed safely. Having better control of your body & increasing dexterity do make it easier to move about in silence too.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:38 pm

Of course! I have more about specifics such as those. It just would have made the post too long and I feel I lack the experience to tell people why. Even with sources or whatever, I know I would rather have someone with experience telling me what to do.
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:46 pm

I know I just posted this, but I would like two things from you guys; Critical feedback on the article and discussing the topic

If anyone has any questions, doubts, or just wants to discuss some more stuff about the topic, do so! I encourage you to!

I want critical feedback on the article, as in style, layout, etc. What can I improve? What did I do well? Do you hate something, or love it?

Thank you

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:22 pm

Hamstrings are an overlooked muscle to be trained. It's what provides stability when performing pistols and shrimp squats. (Which really are great for stealth, gets the mobility and strength to do really low crouch walks) Stability when slowly walking in a low crouch, moving one leg over while balancing on the other. When I first started doing pistols, they were really sloppy. I couldn't stay balanced. Had to hold on a wall to do them at times. But when I learned the technique of training the hamstrings and flexing them while doing single leg work, my form improved drastically. How to train them: Nordic curl negatives, Stealth Technique/Sam Fisher inverted hangs, body weight floor hamstring curls, gymnastic ring hamstrings curls, hip raises, single leg variations of everything I said except nortic curls unless you are a deity, and hill sprints. Great post by the way!
"If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal and if they can't stop you, you become something else entirely - legend, Mr Wayne."

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:48 pm

Sorry, this came to mind. GRIP STRENGTH. Your best friend. The ability to hang from anything with ease and comfort is a huge asset. Climbing becomes easier. In the case you need to wait on a ledge for while, grip strength comes in handy. How to do it? Pull ups and chin ups. Lots of them. Hanging from a bar should be second nature. Like standing. Get a pull up bar on your door frame and grease the groove. Do a couple of pull ups or chin ups everytime you walk under it throughout the day. Or my favorite, hang from the bar with one hand throughout the day. See how long you can do it. Make it fun and swing a little. Your grip strength will improve impressively.
"If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal and if they can't stop you, you become something else entirely - legend, Mr Wayne."

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:18 pm

I looked into the exercises you said for hamstrings, I will definitely try some out. Typical exercises like squats also target hamstrings, just not as precisely or strongly. I would say the most I have ever worked my hamstrings is through static positions. Holding squats, balancing, and crouching all have helped.

I do agree with grip strength, however, I feel legs are more important. I of course agree with the listed exercises, simply hanging is fantastic and is a static position.

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:17 am

Those are good too. Like you said, training for the actual skill you want is very effective. Balancing and low holds will do wonders.
Of course, legs still remain number 1. All focus should be directed at them first.

Necrogue

Post by Necrogue » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:42 am

This horrible thing called ‘real life’ has been seriously limiting my time on the forum lately and I lament that even now I lack the proper time to contribute more to this discussion, but I would like to take what little time I have at the moment to say that I like to, as often as I am able, do exercises which accomplish multiple things (I.e. – work/develop multiple muscles simultaneously, work/develop multiple fitness types cardio, plyo, etc. simultaneously, and/or develop/promote fitness while also developing other skills).

One of the reasons I think Parkour has such appeal is that it builds cardio, balance, musculature, spatial awareness, quick thinking and a host of other things simultaneously.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:55 am

I do agree, however, parkour is fast compared to slow. Seeing videos from Xanatos and Stealth Technique, they do move faster than I expected. I myself go along pretty slowly, and sometimes stop at what I call "exposure zones" for extended periods to observe. Honestly, if you think about it, stealth and parkour are incredibly similar. Parkour aims to move across the environment as efficiently and fastly as possible while utilizing fitness to hinder pursuers. Stealth aims to move across an environment without "being there", by tricking sensory receptors of animals, humans, and machines to imagine they sensed nothing or at least limit exposure. So parkour is a great gateway into stealth, in my opinion. They just aim to accomplish different things, and require different mindsets. Stealth also tends to be paired with lockpicking and masks... :D

Sleven

Post by Sleven » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:20 am

Posting here for anyone who hasn't come across The Bioneer in their web travels. - Great content, especially for this type of training [grip strength is also underrated and undertrained] - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIh_TP ... _-nOfAIlfg .
[ Exit The Faketrix ]

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:06 pm

Only lord knows how much I love the Bioneer. Adam is an angel in disguise. All of his content is info I'm deeply interested in.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:17 pm

Sleven wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:20 am
Posting here for anyone who hasn't come across The Bioneer in their web travels. - Great content, especially for this type of training [grip strength is also underrated and undertrained] - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIh_TP ... _-nOfAIlfg .
Thank you so much, this is just what I have been looking for!

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:15 am

I guess it's kind of cliche but for optimal focus on night ops, military PT doctrine forms a fantastic base. On top of that I would place climbing in various forms near the top. Not just grip strength but the total body strength needed to climb will come in handy. One of the most tiring things I've done as a great example is cross a relatively short bridge across a narrow river from below, by using the I-beams for grip as I crossed. Not fun, had to cheat at one point and rest with my feet. You never know when you need to do something similar like keep yourself suspended off a wall with only your hands. And then the real fun part - pulling yourself back up. Shit like that. Just picture yourself in the operation, find your weaknesses, and train the shit out of them.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Sleven

Post by Sleven » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:11 am

Psychlonic wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:15 am
I guess it's kind of cliche but for optimal focus on night ops, military PT doctrine forms a fantastic base. On top of that I would place climbing in various forms near the top. Not just grip strength but the total body strength needed to climb will come in handy. One of the most tiring things I've done as a great example is cross a relatively short bridge across a narrow river from below, by using the I-beams for grip as I crossed. Not fun, had to cheat at one point and rest with my feet. You never know when you need to do something similar like keep yourself suspended off a wall with only your hands. And then the real fun part - pulling yourself back up. Shit like that. Just picture yourself in the operation, find your weaknesses, and train the shit out of them.
That bridge stories awesome.

Every time I do imagine myself in a super operation scenario - it always starts the same like in the first Splinter Cell novel, where Sam awakens in a vent by his silent watch alarm - and the paragraph goes on about how one of his greatest abilities is being able to go to sleep anywhere at any time of the day.

I'm sure staying stationary in a confined space for hours is much harder than it sounds! It would be cool to train that affectively in an environment with noises and potential hostiles. - The closest I've done to this is sleeping on the street for "fun" on locations such as roofs.
[ Exit The Faketrix ]

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:36 am

Psychlonic wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:15 am
I disagree, but actually exercising is better than nothing :D(Guilty here). The military PT is just not very specific and leaves out some safety aspects for your body. The military may train to march or run all day, but crouching takes a much worse toll on the knees according to my research. The PT also targets different stuff than what would be optimal. However, if you are not working out, or need something to start with, I would do this.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:45 am

lol military training is pretty total body, man. If you look on YouTube, you'll see they spend a good deal of time every day doing plyometrics like squat thrusts, squat benders, push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups obviously, explosive squat jumps, bear crawling, mountain climbers, prone row... it's literally all the same movements you use in night ops. That's very specific. Granted, you'll see plenty of guys that make you think "no soldier left behind" as far as them caring how GOOD you are at it, but the actual core methods are literally designed specifically to help you with the same movements you'll be using at night.

Here's a great playlist for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chgctk5 ... L7SBuBMUNV_
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Vengeance
Location: Every night look into the darkness and know I'm out there.

Post by Vengeance » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:08 am

Sleven wrote:
I've been following him for years.
It's thanks to his Ebook that i designed my ultimate training program.
Thanks for sharing.
It's the nature of this beast to feed upon the will to numb it, this monster brought the seed of life, well now i have become it.

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:19 pm

Vengeance wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:08 am
Sleven wrote:
Thanks for sharing.
OoOoOo, ultimate training program? I might've gotten a little erect. And that book is holy.

Vengeance

Post by Vengeance » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:43 am

Bruce Wayne wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:19 pm
Vengeance wrote:
Sleven wrote:
Thanks for sharing.
OoOoOo, ultimate training program? I might've gotten a little erect. And that book is holy.
It's based on Batman's program in the batman files.
I'll show the first general draft i made over a year ago
There were also Sub programs that involved long distance running.
And one to three times a year i'll participate in a 100km race.
(It's excellent for building up mental endurance/toughness)
It's the nature of this beast to feed upon the will to numb it, this monster brought the seed of life, well now i have become it.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:43 pm

Psychlonic wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:45 am
lol military training is pretty total body, man. If you look on YouTube, you'll see they spend a good deal of time every day doing plyometrics like squat thrusts, squat benders, push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups obviously, explosive squat jumps, bear crawling, mountain climbers, prone row... it's literally all the same movements you use in night ops. That's very specific. Granted, you'll see plenty of guys that make you think "no soldier left behind" as far as them caring how GOOD you are at it, but the actual core methods are literally designed specifically to help you with the same movements you'll be using at night.

Here's a great playlist for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chgctk5 ... L7SBuBMUNV_
I of course respect your opinion due to your experience, however, I still disagree.

It is full-body, however as you said, it is typically plyometrics. Isometrics would be better suited for night ops. Isometrics train static positions, so isometrics and performing exercises slowly would benefit the most. Plyometrics, and fast movements, are still important; however, moving slowly and remaining noticed are more important to night ops than being able to move fast throughout. Do not get me wrong, everybody should learn to move fast for a variety of situations that could occur.

Training should closely, or exactly, mimic what you are training for. The Bioneer talks about this, as well as many internet websites. Some disagree and say training should target the muscle groups utilized. I personally think the first one should be most utilized, and then the second still incorporated. Maybe a 60:40 ratio? Perhaps 70:30?

Legs are also undertrained, in my opinion. Legs should be very well-tuned and taken care of since high-stress positions and movements like crouching and bear crawling will occur.

The PT routine also leaves out some important stuff, like stretching, mobility, and joint preparation. Since crouching is so vital, preparing the knees in some way is very beneficial. Shock absorbance from falls or drops occurs less often, but if anyone intends on climbing, it should be trained.

And this is a personal opinion, but I think training movement is another important aspect. Ido Portal is an example of this. His philosophy is something about exercising through movement or movement systems. I think crouching for certain distances, at certain speeds, is very beneficial. Crawling as well. Being able to train these in a less stressful environment would help you perform in the field. I still think typical exercises should be trained though.

No hard feelings by the way, in fact, I enjoyed that someone disagreed.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:47 pm

Vengeance wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:43 am
Bruce Wayne wrote:
Vengeance wrote:
Sleven wrote:
Thanks for sharing.
I must quote the quote of more quotes.

Stealth on a Saturday!?!? I went out on a Saturday, and there were just far too many people out. Even at around 2:30 AM, just cars everywhere. How challenging is it for you? Are there just less people out in Australia at night?

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:03 pm

Naturally. However notorious you think the wildlife is in Australia, it gets only worse at night.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:10 pm

Vengeance wrote:
Bruce Wayne wrote:
Vengeance wrote:
Sleven wrote:
Thanks for sharing.
Absolutely beautiful. I've also made some training schedules in the past inspired by The Batman Files. I love your emphasis on meditation and yoga too. Long distance races sounds brilliant for checking up how your endurance is doing. Well done! If you don't mind me asking, what skills would you be doing on sunday? What martial arts do you practice? What kind of strength training do you do? Weighted, bodyweight, both? Sorry for the interrogation, I really love this stuff.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:53 am

Sicarius wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:43 pm
Training should closely, or exactly, mimic what you are training for. The Bioneer talks about this, as well as many internet websites. Some disagree and say training should target the muscle groups utilized. I personally think the first one should be most utilized, and then the second still incorporated. Maybe a 60:40 ratio? Perhaps 70:30?

Legs are also undertrained, in my opinion. Legs should be very well-tuned and taken care of since high-stress positions and movements like crouching and bear crawling will occur.

The PT routine also leaves out some important stuff, like stretching, mobility, and joint preparation. Since crouching is so vital, preparing the knees in some way is very beneficial. Shock absorbance from falls or drops occurs less often, but if anyone intends on climbing, it should be trained.
No hard feelings, I just can't help but think you're not overly familiar with military PT. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but a lot of us went through it and it worked fantastically for night ops. There was literally no point back then any of us thought "Man, I was physically unprepared for this." Mind you, I stress it as a base and it doesn't need to be a carbon copy of what any of the services use the point is that it stresses repetitive motion at any given speed, mobility, and endurance in a variety of movements. If the idea of following what the military does just leaves a bad taste in your mouth, think of what a good martial arts class would do prior to training technique. Stretching and joint prep is standard; you start out by doing full body joint preparation (so many circles...) and stretches every morning before you begin, warm up with basic motion exercises and grind into slower, strength oriented exercises. You then likely finish off with a run followed by more stretching. That's standard morning PT, most guys who are motivated train specialized items later in their own time.

What you might factor into a program is that your exercise timing is very important. Training strength and cardio unfortunately do not go hand in hand and what you train first will benefit the most. For example, if you perform cardio before your strength exercises, your cardio will benefit at a much faster rate. The same is true visa versa, as can be seen in my more recent workout thread, I focused very heavily on strength for a little over a year and I always began with strength exercises or else it would be way harder to gain as quickly as I did strength-wise. Funny enough, the same is actually true with stretching and flexibility. If you're looking to gain flexibility, the best way to go about it is to warm up with standard stretching and then lead into higher intensity exercises such as ballistic stretching. Fascia stretching is also important especially if you're doing heavy isometric work because the slow, steady base and balancing can increase the rigidness of fascia tissue resulting in flexibility loss.

Balance itself is strength work and also closely related to isometrics. You can quickly tell if someone is ignoring this by placing them on a balance board and having them do lateral leg extensions. If the person hasn't been keeping up, the leg holding them up is going to start shaking like crazy. This is kind of important as well because weakness here causes the body to compensate in bad ways and is a shortcut to injury.

Regardless of what order you decide to train and what you focus primarily on, the good news is that the body mostly runs through the same healing process either way. Microtears and subsequent healing = gains, so the faster you heal the faster you will progress. I know this topic is about the actual workout time, but your off-time routines are every bit as essential. Protein is obvious, most people will probably want to use BCAAs for optimal healing. Although I'm known for getting pretty huge, it won't happen by accident so don't be afraid of lots of protein. There's way more involved in bulking and since that's not really within the scope of night ops, you'll be good to go.

I'm only trying to save your guy some time. I've been training for decades in many different ways, I'm not throwing out theory but applied experience. I don't pretend my way is 100% optimal, but I know exactly what happens when you do certain things and the results you will get. Think of me less as some guy trying to assert his knowledge and more like talking journal.

Edit - Worth an add as well, I know it seems out of context but some of the best vertical jump resources (which I agree is valuable) can be found on YouTube watching basketball trainers. You won't want to be running and jumping often, but increased vertical in any form will help you do it at a slower pace much easier. Aside from learning the mechanics and more advanced items, one exercise that helps a ton and develops static jumping power that can be done anywhere is sitting on a chair. You want to pick a chair that places your shins and back perpendicular to the ground and your thighs parallel to the floor. To come off the chair, you lift your feet up and stomp them into the ground - as your doing this explode off the chair and turn the motion into a jump as high as you can. Rinse and repeat. I don't remember the video I watched to illustrate the technique, but it's really good shit and I think you guys will like it.

Vengeance

Post by Vengeance » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:37 am

Sicarius wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:47 pm
Vengeance wrote:
Bruce Wayne wrote:
Vengeance wrote:
Sleven wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

Stealth on a Saturday!?!? I went out on a Saturday, and there were just far too many people out. Even at around 2:30 AM, just cars everywhere. How challenging is it for you? Are there just less people out in Australia at night?
Difficulty is the point.
I gain experience faster.
I'm also fortunate enough to live in a place where i don't have to worry about police as much.
The local station closes well before darkness hits.
Due to these facts I've had to make myself appear frightening and sometimes inhuman with my clothing choices.
The only people game enough to approach me if I'm seen are groups a crack heads.

Vengeance

Post by Vengeance » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:01 am

Bruce Wayne wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:10 pm
Vengeance wrote:
Bruce Wayne wrote:
Vengeance wrote:
Sleven wrote:
Thanks for sharing.
Absolutely beautiful. I've also made some training schedules in the past inspired by The Batman Files. I love your emphasis on meditation and yoga too. Long distance races sounds brilliant for checking up how your endurance is doing. Well done! If you don't mind me asking, what skills would you be doing on sunday? What martial arts do you practice? What kind of strength training do you do? Weighted, bodyweight, both? Sorry for the interrogation, I really love this stuff.
It depends on the week. Recently I've been heavily focussing on hand-eye coordination.
As well as judging distances in the darkness.
(Combat during an operation is a reoccurring theme i need to shake; but for now, all I can do is be better prepared.)
.Observation skills
-Often I'll just observe peoples body language and practice Grey-man techniques.

.General stealth skills
-Crouched movement
-Perfecting silent movement over various terrain
-Stealth drills that may involve infiltrating a target, taking out a sentry, picking a lock. (Similar to one of Stealth Techniques older videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F2Rskdu0vQ)

.Experimentation
-I'll spend time researching potentially useful skills and do some testing.

.Gaming
-Gaming is extremely useful for improving memory, hand-eye coordination, problem solving, and ability to think rationally under pressure.
(Due to my "Condition" I get the same adrenaline dump while gaming as i do in combat. For example, when i was younger and was playing The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Giants and Dragons made me literally piss myself.)

Martial Arts
MMA is the best way to go when it comes to combat.
As i've already stated, Muay Thai, BJJ, and sambo wrestling are my favourites. However this hasn't stopped me from studying other disciplines available to me.
ITF Taekwondo was good for balance and little else.

Most disciplines aren't very useful unfortunately

Exercise
I mix weighted workouts and calisthenics.
You can ask me more in a discord call sometime if you wish.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:54 pm

Psychlonic wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:53 am
Sicarius wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:43 pm

No hard feelings, I just can't help but think you're not overly familiar with military PT. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but a lot of us went through it and it worked fantastically for night ops. There was literally no point back then any of us thought "Man, I was physically unprepared for this." Mind you, I stress it as a base and it doesn't need to be a carbon copy of what any of the services use the point is that it stresses repetitive motion at any given speed, mobility, and endurance in a variety of movements. If the idea of following what the military does just leaves a bad taste in your mouth, think of what a good martial arts class would do prior to training technique. Stretching and joint prep is standard; you start out by doing full body joint preparation (so many circles...) and stretches every morning before you begin, warm up with basic motion exercises and grind into slower, strength oriented exercises. You then likely finish off with a run followed by more stretching. That's standard morning PT, most guys who are motivated train specialized items later in their own time.

What you might factor into a program is that your exercise timing is very important. Training strength and cardio unfortunately do not go hand in hand and what you train first will benefit the most. For example, if you perform cardio before your strength exercises, your cardio will benefit at a much faster rate. The same is true visa versa, as can be seen in my more recent workout thread, I focused very heavily on strength for a little over a year and I always began with strength exercises or else it would be way harder to gain as quickly as I did strength-wise. Funny enough, the same is actually true with stretching and flexibility. If you're looking to gain flexibility, the best way to go about it is to warm up with standard stretching and then lead into higher intensity exercises such as ballistic stretching. Fascia stretching is also important especially if you're doing heavy isometric work because the slow, steady base and balancing can increase the rigidness of fascia tissue resulting in flexibility loss.

Balance itself is strength work and also closely related to isometrics. You can quickly tell if someone is ignoring this by placing them on a balance board and having them do lateral leg extensions. If the person hasn't been keeping up, the leg holding them up is going to start shaking like crazy. This is kind of important as well because weakness here causes the body to compensate in bad ways and is a shortcut to injury.

Regardless of what order you decide to train and what you focus primarily on, the good news is that the body mostly runs through the same healing process either way. Microtears and subsequent healing = gains, so the faster you heal the faster you will progress. I know this topic is about the actual workout time, but your off-time routines are every bit as essential. Protein is obvious, most people will probably want to use BCAAs for optimal healing. Although I'm known for getting pretty huge, it won't happen by accident so don't be afraid of lots of protein. There's way more involved in bulking and since that's not really within the scope of night ops, you'll be good to go.

I'm only trying to save your guy some time. I've been training for decades in many different ways, I'm not throwing out theory but applied experience. I don't pretend my way is 100% optimal, but I know exactly what happens when you do certain things and the results you will get. Think of me less as some guy trying to assert his knowledge and more like talking journal.

Edit - Worth an add as well, I know it seems out of context but some of the best vertical jump resources (which I agree is valuable) can be found on YouTube watching basketball trainers. You won't want to be running and jumping often, but increased vertical in any form will help you do it at a slower pace much easier. Aside from learning the mechanics and more advanced items, one exercise that helps a ton and develops static jumping power that can be done anywhere is sitting on a chair. You want to pick a chair that places your shins and back perpendicular to the ground and your thighs parallel to the floor. To come off the chair, you lift your feet up and stomp them into the ground - as your doing this explode off the chair and turn the motion into a jump as high as you can. Rinse and repeat. I don't remember the video I watched to illustrate the technique, but it's really good shit and I think you guys will like it.
I believe you, due to experience

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:55 pm

Vengeance wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:37 am
Sicarius wrote:
Vengeance wrote:
Bruce Wayne wrote:
Vengeance wrote:
Sleven wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

Difficulty is the point.
I'm also fortunate enough to live in a place where i don't have to worry about police as much.
Due to these facts I've had to make myself appear frightening and sometimes inhuman with my clothing choices.
The only people game enough to approach me if I'm seen are groups a crack heads.
Why the fuck can I not be undisturbed lol

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:58 pm

Vengeance wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:01 am
Bruce Wayne wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:10 pm
Vengeance wrote:
Bruce Wayne wrote:
Vengeance wrote:
Sleven wrote:
Thanks for sharing.
It depends on the week. Recently I've been heavily focussing on hand-eye coordination.
As well as judging distances in the darkness.
(Combat during an operation is a reoccurring theme i need to shake; but for now, all I can do is be better prepared.)
.Observation skills
-Often I'll just observe peoples body language and practice Grey-man techniques.

.General stealth skills
-Crouched movement
-Perfecting silent movement over various terrain
-Stealth drills that may involve infiltrating a target, taking out a sentry, picking a lock. (Similar to one of Stealth Techniques older videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F2Rskdu0vQ)

.Experimentation
-I'll spend time researching potentially useful skills and do some testing.

.Gaming
-Gaming is extremely useful for improving memory, hand-eye coordination, problem solving, and ability to think rationally under pressure.
(Due to my "Condition" I get the same adrenaline dump while gaming as i do in combat. For example, when i was younger and was playing The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Giants and Dragons made me literally piss myself.)

Martial Arts
MMA is the best way to go when it comes to combat.
As i've already stated, Muay Thai, BJJ, and sambo wrestling are my favourites. However this hasn't stopped me from studying other disciplines available to me.
ITF Taekwondo was good for balance and little else.

Most disciplines aren't very useful unfortunately

Exercise
I mix weighted workouts and calisthenics.
You can ask me more in a discord call sometime if you wish.
I disagree with the MMA, I think a bunch of martial arts serve you better. MMA has several shit positions, like Jiu Jutsu. One ground technique is taught fairly often, but lacks power compared to Krav Maga's ground technique. And at the same time, Krav Maga lacks several strikes and side switching techniques that could be useful. Therefore, I think just trying different martial arts and then picking techniques that feel the best and are logical, is a good approach to it.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:57 pm

The thing that irks me about MMA/jujitsu is that it trains you to only fight against a single opponent who's also playing by the same rules you are.
In the real world, there are no rules or illegal moves - it's give it all you got or die trying. I tend to steer away from styles that focus more on the sport rather than the combatives.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:18 pm

I think MMA stands where it does because it's probably taken seriously the most often. Like if you join up with an MMA team the training you'll receive is absolutely effective because, well if it's not you get your ass kicked. While not complete, even karate would be effective in stand up if everyone trained properly instead of... I don't know how to describe it but it ends up not very effective in real life. I know there are some instructors who buck the trend and put out some quality training for law enforcement.

I second krav maga but good ground game is pretty important if only to learn how to stay on your feet better. Speaking of MMA, there's a great UFC fight with James Toney and Randy Couture that illustrates this perfectly. At the time, James Toney would've knocked any of us out on his feet, he was a powerful legit boxer. Randy did the sloppiest takedown ever from a distance and beat the guy pretty easily. Point is, stuffing takedowns is super important and kind of goes with the krav maga philosophy of "survive" because if a good wrestler takes you down you're in trouble.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:23 pm

Xanatos wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:57 pm
The thing that irks me about MMA/jujitsu is that it trains you to only fight against a single opponent who's also playing by the same rules you are.
In the real world, there are no rules or illegal moves - it's give it all you got or die trying. I tend to steer away from styles that focus more on the sport rather than the combatives.
That is why I prefer Krav Maga, but even then; variety in styles and a focus on mental, stress, and focus training is better than solely KM

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:24 pm

Psychlonic wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:18 pm
I think MMA stands where it does because it's probably taken seriously the most often. Like if you join up with an MMA team the training you'll receive is absolutely effective because, well if it's not you get your ass kicked. While not complete, even karate would be effective in stand up if everyone trained properly instead of... I don't know how to describe it but it ends up not very effective in real life. I know there are some instructors who buck the trend and put out some quality training for law enforcement.

I second krav maga but good ground game is pretty important if only to learn how to stay on your feet better. Speaking of MMA, there's a great UFC fight with James Toney and Randy Couture that illustrates this perfectly. At the time, James Toney would've knocked any of us out on his feet, he was a powerful legit boxer. Randy did the sloppiest takedown ever from a distance and beat the guy pretty easily. Point is, stuffing takedowns is super important and kind of goes with the krav maga philosophy of "survive" because if a good wrestler takes you down you're in trouble.
Well said!

Vengeance

Post by Vengeance » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:35 am

Sicarius wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:55 pm
Vengeance wrote:
Sicarius wrote:
Vengeance wrote:
Bruce Wayne wrote:
Vengeance wrote:
Sleven wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

Difficulty is the point.
Perhaps it's because due to your clothing choices you look like the average burglar?
Idk what you wear tho.
In my experience, making yourself look terrifying works best.

Vengeance

Post by Vengeance » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:54 am

Krav Maga is a hit or miss.
It's effectiveness depends on your instructor (Which is why i didn't bring it up)
I love that Krav maga draws on our basic instincts for combat;
But i'm still unable to find a decent gym to study it in.

For MMA i turned to Bruce lee. I didn't simply attend an MMA gym I studied multiple disciplines and used what worked for me and discarded the rest.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:02 am

Vengeance wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:35 am
Sicarius wrote:
Vengeance wrote:
Sicarius wrote:
Vengeance wrote:
Bruce Wayne wrote:
Vengeance wrote:
Sleven wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

Difficulty is the point.
Perhaps it's because due to your clothing choices you look like the average burglar?
Idk what you wear tho.
So much quoting...

You guys can dress in creepy Halloween costumes, but I like to focus on camouflage with a touch of Splinter Cell and a Jihadist

Shadow Scout

Post by Shadow Scout » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:26 am

Last edited by Shadow Scout on Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vengeance

Post by Vengeance » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:15 am

Sicarius wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:02 am
Vengeance wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:35 am
Sicarius wrote:
Vengeance wrote:
Sicarius wrote:
Vengeance wrote:
Bruce Wayne wrote:
Vengeance wrote:
Sleven wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

Difficulty is the point.
Idk what you wear tho.
So much quoting...

You guys can dress in creepy Halloween costumes, but I like to focus on camouflage with a touch of Splinter Cell and a Jihadist
You're in the right to focus on camouflage above all.
What's the need of looking scary if you're not seen in the first place?

Vengeance

Post by Vengeance » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:20 am

Shadow Scout wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:26 am
This isn't specifically for stealth, but for overall fitness exercises that you can do anywhere with no equipment, I like this "Spartan workout":

This is one of the better routines you can find on the internet.
Good find, if you had no equipment this and slight variations of it would do nicely.
Thanks for sharing.