Day Time Ops

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Bruce Wayne

Day Time Ops

Post by Bruce Wayne » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:46 pm

I know, it kinda goes against the whole name of this site, but consider the method of walking in through the front door in broad day light. Social engineering of a pen tester. Fake name tags, fake job, networking, anything to get into a restricted area. The shinobi said the experienced infiltrators would walk in through the front door instead of the amateur way of sneaking in at night with tools and shadows. The down side is higher chances of getting caught and arrest. Even some pentesters get arrested. Simply food for thought though. Let me know what you think.
"If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal and if they can't stop you, you become something else entirely - legend, Mr Wayne."

Wind

Re: Day Time Ops

Post by Wind » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:43 pm

You might be interested in this video then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk0gVJ_Bdns
It pits Stephen K Hayes (Ninjutsu instructor) vs security guards. It also compares his tactics to a SWAT team.

Sicarius
Location: Possibly on a distant Mediterranean shore... one day

Post by Sicarius » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:24 pm

That was an awesome link. Too bad he did not covertly sneak in at night as we do, and that he exploited the show rather than something actually possible. It still informative and demonstrates the basic ninja concept, so useful!

Sneaking in at night is very niche, but where it can be applied it reaps insane benefits. No one expects it, therefore making it a useful tool; but you do not send one of us for a hostage rescue, for example. Splinter Cell, the original trilogy, really shows it more practically than anything else. Digital and HUMINT espionage in conjunction, to make an out of the box solution. More as well, but I am writing on that so no more spoilers!

I am interested in day ops, but I am held back for two reasons; One, I am a minor. Two, I am a fucking socially awkward giraffe(6 foot 2, and growing). Honestly, where do you position your arms when standing? Anyways, day operations are better suited to average-looking people. Sometimes day ops won't work when night ops will, vice versa, and sometimes neither will work. You cannot wage a war with one, or even 5, different mission types at your disposal. You can do a weird Guerilla operation I suppose, and technically still a war just not very effectively.

I am getting my double-major in areas the CIA likes, and may even try out a job; However, night operations are much more appealing to me and I just feel a strange connection with it. Who knows, maybe the CIA even has a secret job opportunity like that of Splinter Cell? Probably not though, being realistic.
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:05 am

Thanks for the link Wind! Very helpful.

I agree on what you said on both techniques. They have their own purposes and opportunities. Sometimes night infiltration isn't expected. Sometimes it's expected and precautions have been set making it harder to infiltrate. Thus the social engineering and networking part comes in. And no giraffes for day ops! Lol. I actually have a link on blending in with the crowd pertaining to clothing.
"If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal and if they can't stop you, you become something else entirely - legend, Mr Wayne."

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:10 am

Here the link for clothing:
https://www.6dragonskungfu.com/be-invis ... -clothing/

And here's a link for more examples of social engineering:
https://youtu.be/pL9q2lOZ1Fw

Wind

Post by Wind » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:54 pm

@Bruce Wayne, those links are useful. I'm sure you know, but, if others don't, the first one is basically about the "grey man" concept. Lots of info can be found on YouTube by military and preppers on that topic.
The RedTeam video was really cool. Makes me think that if some of us were ambitious enough we could form our own infiltration security testing team and make some serious bank, while doing work we are deeply interested in.

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:57 am

Yes, the gray man. As you said, I do know about the concept and I love it very much.
Right?! That would be a dream. But I believe most security testing is digital, which is interesting too. Digital nightops. Physical pentesting isn't common, as cool as that would be. But if you guys work it out, let me know!

Vengeance
Location: Every night look into the darkness and know I'm out there.

Post by Vengeance » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:47 am

Bruce Wayne wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:46 pm
I know, it kinda goes against the whole name of this site, but consider the method of walking in through the front door in broad day light. Social engineering of a pen tester. Fake name tags, fake job, networking, anything to get into a restricted area. The shinobi said the experienced infiltrators would walk in through the front door instead of the amateur way of sneaking in at night with tools and shadows. The down side is higher chances of getting caught and arrest. Even some pentesters get arrested. Simply food for thought though. Let me know what you think.
I have been considering this.
Just need a target and enough confidence.
It's the nature of this beast to feed upon the will to numb it, this monster brought the seed of life, well now i have become it.

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:40 pm

Nice! I would consider a grocery store for starting off. Scout out the place, observe the dress code, and blend in on your second return. See how far in the building you can go. And the good thing is masks are mandatory, preventing somewhat getting caught by cameras.

Vengeance

Post by Vengeance » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:10 pm

Bruce Wayne wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:40 pm
Nice! I would consider a grocery store for starting off. Scout out the place, observe the dress code, and blend in on your second return. See how far in the building you can go. And the good thing is masks are mandatory, preventing somewhat getting caught by cameras.
Good idea.
Only issue is Masks aren't mandatory.
It's the nature of this beast to feed upon the will to numb it, this monster brought the seed of life, well now i have become it.

Vengeance

Post by Vengeance » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:12 pm

I'm pretty handy when it comes to makeup.
I always finding subtle ways to cover up scars.
I could just slightly change up my appearance and add one noticeable, distracting, rememberable feature.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:19 pm

"Masks are not mandatory"

I saw a store call the cops on some lady the other day because she forgot her mask and was saying she needed to come in. Funnily enough, she had a Biden sticker on her car lol. Australia is done with the pandemic I guess?
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Vengeance

Post by Vengeance » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:26 pm

Sicarius wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:19 pm
"Masks are not mandatory"

I saw a store call the cops on some lady the other day because she forgot her mask and was saying she needed to come in. Funnily enough, she had a Biden sticker on her car lol. Australia is done with the pandemic I guess?
For the most part.
We have it under control as of now.
Wearing masks in my area is uncommon.
Uncommon enough to make people remember you.

Necrogue

Post by Necrogue » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:40 pm

It’s counterproductive to debate whether masks are or aren’t mandatory as it varies widely. That said, masks are commonplace now and that works in the favor of ‘Oppers’ day or night. Masks are no longer regarded with suspicion and it’s become perfectly normal and socially acceptable to obscure your face behind a mask in public and to keep your distance from people; both of which are a boon to the Opping and Urbex communities. Whether you are for or against masks as protection against Covid cooties, whether masks are mandatory in your area or not, one thing is indisputable; masks (and their newfound acceptance) can be used to great advantage tactically and operationally speaking. This has created the potential for a truly golden age of opportunity for Ops not only day and night, but in a wider spectrum than ever before!

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:02 pm

Vengeance wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:12 pm
I'm pretty handy when it comes to makeup.
I always finding subtle ways to cover up scars.
I could just slightly change up my appearance and add one noticeable, distracting, rememberable feature.
Incredible! That's a great idea. I think I'll learn how to do that sometime.

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:17 pm

Necrogue wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:40 pm
It’s counterproductive to debate whether masks are or aren’t mandatory as it varies widely. That said, masks are commonplace now and that works in the favor of ‘Oppers’ day or night. Masks are no longer regarded with suspicion and it’s become perfectly normal and socially acceptable to obscure your face behind a mask in public and to keep your distance from people; both of which are a boon to the Opping and Urbex communities. Whether you are for or against masks as protection against Covid cooties, whether masks are mandatory in your area or not, one thing is indisputable; masks (and their newfound acceptance) can be used to great advantage tactically and operationally speaking. This has created the potential for a truly golden age of opportunity for Ops not only day and night, but in a wider spectrum than ever before!
Beautifully said. That's what I was trying to say earlier, but not as good.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:11 pm

Necrogue- I was not debating masks, I was highlighting the stupidity of government's actions. Additionally, pandemic laws and restrictions differ from place to place. A mask in America may be normal, but I have heard Europe has basically re-opened since August in some parts. Therefore, a mask may be strange.