Reconciling Yin & Yang

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Necrogue

Reconciling Yin & Yang

Post by Necrogue » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:15 pm

Tomorrow night is the 'New Moon'; the darkest night of the month (Yin). It goes without saying that this is among the highest of holy days in regards to 'opping'. However, throughout the majority of the U.S. a polar vortex will be moving through which will ensure that the likelihood of any light being dramatically amplified by the reflective properties of the snow (Yang) make for less favorable operational conditions. Furthermore, while snow is a great sound dampener and therefore lends to facilitating stealthy movement, it also creates a polar opposite (no pun intended; well maybe a little pun :wink: ) effect when it comes to leaving no trace. Such diametrically opposing properties again create a sort of Yin & Yang dichotomy which while harmoniously balanced in one sense, can create unharmonious conditions for Night Ops.

Let's open up a dialog to discuss the pro's and con's and how we might reconcile Yin & Yang. In conditions like those enumerated above, what do you do? Do you forgo the op? Or do you use the natural benefits described above to attempt to circumvent their opposites? Do you feel it's better to 'op' only when conditions are more completely Yin (dark)? There are near limitless considerations and topics for discussion in this very open ended line of questioning; I look forward to hearing the thoughts and ideas of our covert collective.

Wind

Re: Reconciling Yin & Yang

Post by Wind » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:41 pm

Interesting question posed.

I will take an attempt at your challenge to reconcile the yin and yang of snow ops. First of all, I love to do NOs during a heavy snowfall. The initial snow (yang), where I leave footprints, is filled by the later snow if the snowfall is heavy enough, making my footsteps invisible (yin). At least, that might be one way to think about it.

Mostly, I just want to encourage people that want to op in winter to take advantage of nights that there is heavy snowfall since it covers your tracks and limits the amount of other people that might be out.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:58 am

I've never opped in the snow before (proper 'snow' is still considered witchcraft down here) but I'd lean more towards leaving no trace behind, footprints included. No point getting in & out unseen if I leave a literal trail leading back to my house.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Wind

Post by Wind » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:47 am

Xanatos wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:58 am
No point getting in & out unseen if I leave a literal trail leading back to my house.
You are absolutely correct, Xanatos! That's why I only recommend it during a heavy snowfall in which most people hunker indoors and your footprints get quickly buried in the fresh falling snow.