Psychology, Suggestion, and Security

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Necrogue

Psychology, Suggestion, and Security

Post by Necrogue » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:22 am

I’m sure we’ve nearly all, at some point, engaged in the exercise of considering how we might infiltrate our own abode. This exercise can not only offer us many insights into various elements of ‘Night Ops’, but also better informs us about security. While the typical default for most people when considering home security is often specialized physical security measures such as locks, alarms, CCTV, and so forth, there are other methods which can be equally effective (if not more so in some cases) depending on the prevailing socio-endemic belief structures in a given area. Just as social engineering can be a powerful tool and an incredible resource for the ‘opper’ looking to move into, out of, and/or through non-permissive environments, forms of social engineering can also be used to great effect in personal and/or home security.

“Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot.” —Batman

While Batman may be a fictional character the quote above holds a relatively fair amount of truth. Understanding this can give us insights into how to exploit superstition and weaponize psychology both for ‘opping’ and security. By understanding the cultural and spiritual beliefs of the demographics of your AO, you can utilize the mere power of suggestion (or symbolism) to create a deterrent against otherwise brazen hostiles.

“Theatricality and Deception...”

In a discussion held elsewhere with another member of this forum awhile back, they remarked on how they would definitely steer clear of my yard due to the crudely fashioned Twanas* hanging in trees on the property. This is a perfect example of how, given the right amount of superstition on the part of outsiders, a few broken sticks sourced from your own yard, and a few bits of twine, you can create a deterrent that can, in the right circumstances be at least as effective, and often more so, at staving off intruders than elaborate and expensive mechanical and/or technological security measures! And unlike tech based security, security that exploits a persons belief system not only defends, but attacks their psyche and has the potential to effect them on a psychological level.

“Black Magic, at it’s core, is nothing more than weaponized psychology.” —Ed Calderon

I’d like to use this post to open up discussion on how others might have used social engineering, the power of suggestion, and/or psychology in Ops and/or security. Whether or not you’ve used such measures, can you think of other examples where these concepts might be useful? I look forward to hearing others thoughts, ideas, and (if applicable) experiences!

*(Twanas, for anyone who might be unfamiliar with the term, are crude, simple, stick figures which were widely introduced in popular culture through ‘The Blair Witch Project’ and subsequent sequels with the same franchise.)
“For a while they stood there, like men on the edge of a sleep where nightmare lurks, holding it off, though they know that they can only come to morning through shadows.” —J.R.R. Tolkien, ‘The Passage of the Marshes’, The Two Towers

Sicarius
Location: Possibly on a distant Mediterranean shore... one day

Re: Psychology, Suggestion, and Security

Post by Sicarius » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:07 am

I like the sign my step-grandfather put up; "This is not a good house to break into, because inside is an old SF soldier who is happily enjoying watching golf and cookies. If you break inside, he will be pissed off that he has to get up from the couch, leave his golf game on, grab his rifle, and empty its magazine. His dog will probably eat his cookies too. Therefore, please go somewhere else or he may have to empty a second magazine." It said something in red bold that clearly stated to not enter, and then his personal touch on the custom sign.

I do not really use psychology on anyone other than myself regarding operations, but I can certainly see the use for it.
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Necrogue

Post by Necrogue » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:25 am

Sicarius wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:07 am
His dog will probably eat his cookies too.
Pure gold! 😂🤣

Wind

Post by Wind » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:22 am

I remember hearing awhile back that putting a bible on the dash of your car significantly decreases the chance of it being broken into.

My favorite trespassing sign I saw as a teenager was: "Does life after death exist? Trespass here and find out." Needless to say, I found another site to op. lol

Necrogue

Post by Necrogue » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:40 am

Wind wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:22 am
I remember hearing awhile back that putting a bible on the dash of your car significantly decreases the chance of it being broken into.
A perfect and excellent example! Thanks!
“For a while they stood there, like men on the edge of a sleep where nightmare lurks, holding it off, though they know that they can only come to morning through shadows.” —J.R.R. Tolkien, ‘The Passage of the Marshes’, The Two Towers

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:24 pm

I've answered the door to Jehova's Witnesses (or some other church group) one too many times half-naked, drunk/hung over and wearing a belt full of knives. They've since started skipping my house when they do their doorknocking routes.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

V-S

Post by V-S » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:35 am

Found in a multi-story carpark I was checking out.

Doesn't hold much credence as we don't have snakes in New Zealand.
Attachments
IMG_20210212_2153f4.jpg
The Sun is down, time to go to work.