Clandestine Considerations Carried Over(?)

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Necrogue

Clandestine Considerations Carried Over(?)

Post by Necrogue » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:07 pm

How many of you have improved or enhanced your lives beyond (but because of) your nocturnal natures? Have you noticed a tendency or side effect to, or perhaps even deliberately integrate(d) OPSEC into your more mundane milieu?

As a byproduct of the heightened awareness that 'Night Ops' develop, most of us begin to think tactically. As this becomes more second nature, we might begin to see it (or deliberately incorporate it) in other aspects of our lives. For example: Does your family have a prearranged meeting spot within stores or other places you might frequent in case a scenario forces you to remain inside a building during an emergency. If you are shopping in different parts of the store and the SHTF, do your loved ones have a pre-established rally point? Similarly, if a place you and your loved ones frequent is forced to evacuate, do you have a pre-established external rally point? Do you have secondary rally points in the event that ingress/egress to your primary point is cut off?

Does this enhanced OPSEC extend beyond your immediate circle of friends and loved ones? While much of what the 'Night Ops' community does should be kept 'classified' from most (including family in most cases), some of the lessons and takeaways can be extended to the general betterment, safety, and well being of your communities, neighborhoods, etc. For example, some areas (typically close knit communities) during lockdown procedures during the pandemic would post colored paper in their window that could be easily seen by neighbors. This technique is particularly suited in a grid down scenario, but is no less effective for day to day OPSEC. In the most widely known and implemented example, neighborhood occupants would leave a piece of green paper in their window to signify to the surrounding community that 'all is well'. Conversely, a red paper would indicate duress, and would be immediately recognizable at a distress signal to call the authorities or at the very least offer some neighborly assistance.

BROTIP: The final example above has shown to be particularly valuable in safeguarding seniors.

Xanatos

Re: Clandestine Considerations Carried Over(?)

Post by Xanatos » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:51 pm

Not NO-specific, but I think a lot of my tactical/combat/stealth disciplines have influenced my day-to-day behaviour quite a bit. I'm always wary of cover & concealment, I never park right next to my destination (in case I have to flee on foot first and don't wanna risk walking back into the hot zone), I... well, I usually wear black anyway, but probably moreso now. There's probably more to it than I can put my finger on.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Necrogue

Post by Necrogue » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:31 pm

I would hazard that it's inevitable really. 'Opping' changes you (arguably for the better). It changes the way we think, our perspectives, our spatial considerations, our attention to detail, our overall awareness and much, much more.
“For a while they stood there, like men on the edge of a sleep where nightmare lurks, holding it off, though they know that they can only come to morning through shadows.” —J.R.R. Tolkien, ‘The Passage of the Marshes’, The Two Towers

Sicarius
Location: Possibly on a distant Mediterranean shore... one day

Post by Sicarius » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:36 pm

More on this later from me
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince