Trauma First Aid Challenge

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Wind

Trauma First Aid Challenge

Post by Wind » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:35 pm

Hey Night Opers,
What we do can put us at increased risk of experiencing severe injuries, whether from gun or knife attacks, falls, dog bites, or assaults from multiple attackers. Even though our first priority should be to prevent such situations, it is also important to be prepared in case the worst happens. Therefore, I am challenging myself and anyone else up for the challenge to watch this video this week on Trauma First Aid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF5GhoY ... WL&index=4 . It is a little over three hours long, so you may want to watch it in multiple sittings. Once you have watched it, please report back on anything that you learned that you found particularly helpful, how you might apply this information to night ops, and what, if any, plans you have to adjust your standard load out to include any additional trauma gear.

Sicarius
Location: Possibly on a distant Mediterranean shore... one day

Re: Trauma First Aid Challenge

Post by Sicarius » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:44 am

Thank you for sharing the video, it was very informative and I learned a few new things.

I received my load-bearing system yesterday instead of in February as scheduled, and I got a medical pouch with it. I intend on buying mostly gunshot stuff to put in it, as well as some stuff for cuts and blisters/raw skin. In the video, it seems they mostly use traditional tourniquets, but this one called "RATS" seems good as well. I like it because it is more compact and seems easier to use, for me at least.

When learning the medical procedures, I also advise you to look at different caliber bullets hitting ballistic gel. Rifles expand a lot, especially in your kidney area which typically results in a fatality. Concealed carry and self-defense classes unofficially teach to shoot to kill. They do this so the criminal does not sue the person who shot them.
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:31 pm

So you are telling me that out of 1778 members, not a single one other than Wind and I replied? Xanatos replies to pretty much everything so he can have a pass, but this is just depressing
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:00 pm

Well it's a 3 hour video, gimme some time.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Wind

Post by Wind » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:57 pm

Sicarius wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:31 pm
So you are telling me that out of 1778 members, not a single one other than Wind and I replied? Xanatos replies to pretty much everything so he can have a pass, but this is just depressing
Thanks, @Sicarius, for participating. I didn't want to do it for nothing. lol

Also, I notice there are often other people online but not logged in. I wonder if people are worried about security issues. However, I wouldn't think that would be much of an issue with this particular thread. Maybe, there should be an update about the security and safety of this site? Perhaps, more people would feel comfortable participating more actively then? Not sure. Just a thought.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:20 pm

You post on everything Xanatos, you are fine

Honestly, I do not see the big deal with security. Most people here are breaking into a construction site or something, I doubt authorities care that much. Now, if you are actually doing serious break-ins, such as into a government facility, then I can understand. In that case, get a VPN or use the deep web which is perfectly legal just very slow.

Wind

Post by Wind » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:03 am

Xanatos wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:00 pm
Well it's a 3 hour video, gimme some time.
Yeah, the three hour video was a big ask. Sorry. It was just something that I was interested in that I thought could be useful in night ops. Honestly, I posted it just as much for that reason as also just trying to be active and encourage some participation. However, a three hour video probably wasn't the best way to do that. My bad.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:50 pm

Some useful stuff in there, basics on how to use a tourniquet, pack a wound, etc. One thing they stress is practise, practise, practise - having medical gear you don't know how to use is like having a gun you leave at home. Muscle memory is important, not just for operating under stress but also operating in low-light conditions when you can't see what you're doing.

Also, invest in quality medical gear. I've seen other videos where they warn users to stay away from cheap Chinese knockoff crap and I agree; having a tourniquet that'll break on you is about as useful as bringing a toy pistol into a gunfight. Some of the stuff out there may seem expensive, but at the end of the day how much is your life worth? Is it really too much of a stress to spend that extra $50 or so?
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:04 am

On the other hand, that cheap stuff is perfect for training if you can afford a little extra and I agree you need to practice this kind of stuff. I honestly think that collagen sponges are the biggest innovation in dealing with open wounds we've seen in the last decade and I personally carry homemade X-stat applicators, quick clot packs, and Israeli bandages for the possibility of gun shot wounds. On the X-stat, it's a large syringe (honestly looks like a tampon if we're being real) that shoves in multiple collagen sponge discs that absorb blood and inflate to help stem off bleeding and clot faster. Combined with actual quick clot and a surface bandage + tourniquet bar, it's the best I've been able to think of. Of course, I've thankfully never been shot so I couldn't tell you how well it works in practice.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:15 pm

X-stats are pretty great, keep forgetting what they're called though.