A BDU

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Sicarius
Location: Possibly on a distant Mediterranean shore... one day

A BDU

Post by Sicarius » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:05 pm

I am currently planning my first op, and although I currently do not have a BDU, I would like to obtain one in the future. I need an excuse to buy a BDU, as my parents will not let me buy an item like that for no reason. I play a little paintball here and there and would like to get into airsoft, which would make a good excuse, except several variables, are preventing that as an excuse. Most airsoft and paintball is far away, at a minimum of a 50-minute drive, and I do not have the time to go very often. Also, all of the airsoft and paintball is in a woodland area, whereas I need an urban camouflage such as A-TACS ghost. Does anyone have any ideas for a good excuse?
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Xanatos

Re: A BDU

Post by Xanatos » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:06 pm

What's wrong with "they look cool"?

Most of my camping gear is old milsurp BDUs & such. Shit's damn-near indestructible, rugged, comfortable, provides good protection from harsh terrain & vegetation, has lots of pockets for carrying hiking/camping/whatever gear and the pattern usually means you don't have to worry too much about stains. Even if you don't do that much camping or hiking, having durable clothing for other tasks such as manual labour is a good enough excuse - tradies & construction workers around here often wear combat trousers & such for much the same purpose.

That being said, you don't necessarily need BDUs or even proper 'camouflage' for opping. Sweatpants & a hoodie do the trick just fine, although I do like using gear tailor-made for opping purposes myself so I understand the desire. That being said, if BDUs are still unobtanium for you, you can usually find 'civvie' equivalents available at most department stores. Cargo or work pants come in a variety of patterns & colours that function just as good as anything from 5.11, Crye Precision or UF Pro (and at a fraction of the cost). You can always dye clothing to a darker shade if it's not up to snuff.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

F3R4L

Re: A BDU

Post by F3R4L » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:36 pm

Xanatos is right, just buy some dark pants that will do the job.