Stealth Observing - Non Digital Binoculars vs Iphone 7 Camera

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Ironcrosslion

Stealth Observing - Non Digital Binoculars vs Iphone 7 Camera

Post by Ironcrosslion » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:11 am

IPhone 7

Pros:

Video: 4K at 30 fps, 1080p at 30 or 60 fps
Resolution: (Regular) 1334 x 750 pixels (326 ppi) (Plus) 1920 x 1080 pixels (401 ppi)
Camera: (Regular) 12MP rear, 7MP front
Water-resistant
Lightweight, easy to carry, generally not suspicious to be using in an urban enviorment or in a Building
where people congregate, some examples may include Mcdonalds, a Grocery store, parking lots, Cafe ect

Because of the Cameras' ability to record from the front or back you can trick people into thinking your Vlogging
while you record your surroundings.

Can be used in tandem with a selfie stick to peek around corners and create less silhouette.

Cons:

Can break easily and not work anymore if dropped from a certain height, need to make sure you have it secured
with a button pocket so that it doesn't fall out.

Expensive compared to Binoculars that can be bought for under 10$

Built in tracking Device, can leave a trace of where you've been.

Binoculars

Pros:

Easy to carry in a pocket
No tracking Device
Clear vision at Night & Day if adjusted correctly
Because you're using your natural vision the ability to see physical details should be greater than a Camera if viewing near the center of vision, how great can depend on health and age as well.

Water resistant
Doesn't leave behind as much personal information vs a Phone if you need to leave it.
Bird watching excuse

Cons:
Can't record Video
Can appear more suspicious than an Iphone (Draws attention)
No Apps

Possibly more...
I'm not the most knowledgable person on this but wanted to share anyways, so if I left anything out Comment below.

Links:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/ip ... ne-7-plus/
https://www.lifewire.com/iphone-gps-set-up-1683393
https://www.quora.com/If-our-eyes-have- ... -perfectly

Xanatos

Re: Stealth Observing - Non Digital Binoculars vs Iphone 7 Camera

Post by Xanatos » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:59 am

I generally don't carry a phone with me on ops and make sure my cameras don't have GPS tracking. Monoculars are pretty compact, some you can conceal in the palm of your hand.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Psychlonic

Re: Stealth Observing - Non Digital Binoculars vs Iphone 7 Camera

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:49 am

One thing I'd amend from my old writing is binoculars. Today I feel they're only useful if they're powerful and used strictly for initial recon. Compact binoculars very rarely blow up objects from a distance enough for me to learn anything new especially at night. I'd probably roll with borderline land spotting binoculars on a recon mission and dump them at base/vehicle/where ever before infiltration since they're bulky, heavy, and a liability if they break or become lost. Or just plan on coming back another time better prepared piggybacking off whatever I learned from said reconnoiter.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.