Rural Night Ops

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Bruce Wayne

Rural Night Ops

Post by Bruce Wayne » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:22 pm

I was wondering, also because of the abundance of it in my area, to train in woodland ops as well. Yeah, there's no human life to add the risk factor, but I think it could it serve useful to move through leaves and twigs without making too much noise, developing better night vision, navigating through the woods at night, and listening to the animals to sense any other wandering life. What do you guys think?
"If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal and if they can't stop you, you become something else entirely - legend, Mr Wayne."

Xanatos

Re: Rural Night Ops

Post by Xanatos » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:27 am

I live in a pretty urban area, but I've always enjoyed opping in more rural areas myself. At the previous NOPCONs we opped primarily in rural areas with very little artificial lighting or structures (aside from the targets). Even if you can't find a suitable target, even doing some night hiking or moving through a large area unseen teaches you valuable lessons.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:50 pm

Yeah, urban areas are a far ways from my area but I have good access to the woods and I agree. It can tailor more to a survival preparedness aspect to it too. Not only to move quietly, but to observe your surroundings to make sure you're not being followed.
"If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal and if they can't stop you, you become something else entirely - legend, Mr Wayne."

Kenlee

Post by Kenlee » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:20 pm

I am in Rural area too we have Woodland and hills and much to explore but it’s so remote the walks are very lengthy and sometimes dangerous during the winter and wet but during the summer it’s going to be fun
There are many hikes and trails and much fun to be had and some castles that are abandoned to explore

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:59 am

Sound nice! I too would like to explore abandoned castles.

Kenlee

Post by Kenlee » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:25 am

Bruce Wayne wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:59 am
Sound nice! I too would like to explore abandoned castles.
Me too, just need the warmer weather to arrive

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:44 am

I tend to prefer opping in cold weather personally. Moving in a manner unseen can be rather exhausting, especially over longer distances, and since I'm usually completely covered up my body heats up fast. Or did you mean until the snow subsides? Because snow is a real hindrance when it comes to covering your tracks.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Kenlee

Post by Kenlee » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:08 am

Xanatos wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:44 am
I tend to prefer opping in cold weather personally. Moving in a manner unseen can be rather exhausting, especially over longer distances, and since I'm usually completely covered up my body heats up fast. Or did you mean until the snow subsides? Because snow is a real hindrance when it comes to covering your tracks.
Me too but with the heavy wind, rain and low temperatures even in the right weather proofing it’s not great just image the most cold, wet and windy hole on earth, that’s what’s like here in these remote parts

Bruce Wayne

Post by Bruce Wayne » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:28 am

Xanatos wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:44 am
I tend to prefer opping in cold weather personally.
Definitely. Cold weather feels great. No insects, higher endurance, no pollen. I would love to move to a area with a colder climate but doesn't snow 11 months of the year. Alaska would seem nice but I don't want to be smothered in snow most of the year. Just cold.
I'm saying this passionately because fall and winter died about a decade ago.