Any old timers here 40+ ?

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Rex

Any old timers here 40+ ?

Post by Rex » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:13 am

Just like the title says: Any old timers here 40+ ?

I will be eligible for Senior Citizen Discounts before too long.
Just curious about how many other old timers are here.

I already know there's a few of us over 40 here, and soon we'll be discussing how to modify our techniques to better fit out abilities.

I know this discussion can take many turns and could go in many directions, but I fully trust the Moderators and Administrators here.
This thread could eventually need to be split into separate threads, or a new section may need to be created, but let's see how it goes.
Let's face it. We aren't getting any younger, and nighttime ops never gets old.

Eden

Re: Any old timers here 40+ ?

Post by Eden » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:09 am

The oldest active opper who posts that I know of is still under thirty. I'd say the majority of the core members of this site are all in our twenties (some newly in, others on their way out). I'm sure we do have some older members but they either aren't really posting or are keeping their age to themselves. If you give us a decade or two we will catch up, and I am sure we will have let Xana let our kids in on the little secret that is night ops. Mind you, the 40+ board will probably be linked to a special usergroup and basically be us shit posting about our spawn where they are banned from responding.
I'll tell you a secret...The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:15 am

More or less what Eden said. Had you made this thread seven or eight years ago, you'd have had much better luck. We're actually a bit short on members both young and old right now; I guess you could say we're in a reconstruction period. That said, maybe some folks will step out of the shadows and surprise us. You never know.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:18 am

I'm just over here picturing blacked out Rascal scooters and hopping fences using tactical canes as climbing devices.

Art of Night Ops: "Reducing glare from bifocals"

I laugh, but the day is coming.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:03 am

I'm actually 107.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Rex

Post by Rex » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:24 pm

Really? 107?
Seeing how i'm just under half your age I don't see how you do it.

My joints creaking make more noise than my footsteps now days.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:15 am

When you reach about 80-90 you develop an elegant C3PO posture. No need to worry about bending your limbs any more.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Rex

Post by Rex » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:21 pm

I know you are teasing Xanatos, but flexibility is really important at any age, so here's my take on it:

I intend to remain flexible. Now my body going along with my plans might be a different story.
Stretches are the key to flexibility. One such stretch is placing your feet against a wall and leaning forwards to place your palms upon the wall without bending the knees.
Be careful if your just starting out though! It's easy to hurt yourself if you don't stretch properly. Don't push yourself. A proper stretch doesn't hurt. It is as relaxing as a yawn.

Exercise, stretches, and a proper diet can keep the joints limber far longer than people would think.

Proper exercise and stretching is important at any age -- no matter how fit you are.

As far as creaking / popping joints, well I'm starting to look into some supplements (fish oil seems to help me some ).

I don't want to end up on arthritis meds or injections if I can avoid them.

tho I admit Motrin and Tylenol goes in the gut every now and then.
Last edited by Rex on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex

Post by Rex » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:33 pm

Psychlonic wrote:I'm just over here picturing blacked out Rascal scooters and hopping fences using tactical canes as climbing devices.

Art of Night Ops: "Reducing glare from bifocals"

I laugh, but the day is coming.
Blacked out scooters may be a stretch, but a tactical cane/staff could come in handy at any age.

I'd imagine one could reduce glare from bifocals just as you reduce glare from any optics.. be it binoculars, scopes, NVG, etc...
We all have to deal with glare at times and glare reduction should be a priority at any age.

(This is for others Psychlonic, I know you are teasing, but I also know how picky you are about avoiding glare)

Shade

Post by Shade » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:09 pm

Ghost wrote:More or less what Eden said. Had you made this thread seven or eight years ago, you'd have had much better luck. We're actually a bit short on members both young and old right now; I guess you could say we're in a reconstruction period. That said, maybe some folks will step out of the shadows and surprise us. You never know.
I'm actually pretty young, although I have the advantage of a more or less thin frame, I'm really tall for my age and can't use the advantages of being short. However, in terms of climbing, this helps soooo much. Being able to grab a high ledge and pull myself up is usually worth it.