the purge

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Roxas

the purge

Post by Roxas » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSkC02BNuE0

just wondering....what do you think?
what would you do if this was real?
how would you take action for the next 12 hours?
would you hide? join? and would you use your skills of opping in this situation?
ill post my actions soon as i need to think about it
The problem with trying to be the bad guy, is that there is always someone worse

Nigma

Re: the purge

Post by Nigma » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:05 pm

That trailer started out real cool. That idea is fucking great! But that whole family-stuck-in-a-big-house thing kinda puts a dent in the movie's potential to be good. I do want to see it though. :P

As to what I'd do. Well, I'm sure a lot of people would agree that the best way to survive from violent gangs is to form a group yourselves. There is power in numbers. I'd rally a bunch of allies and equip them with some arsenal. The more dangerous they look, the fewer the chances of being engaged by hostiles. I'd also make the necessary adjustments to make a bunker out of my house.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:57 am

I'd go out 'hunting'. Honestly, if the only thing keeping you moral are a set of laws created by men and once those laws are lifted you decide to commit atrocities, you're not fit to be human in my book.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Nigma

Post by Nigma » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:23 am

Xanatos wrote:I'd go out 'hunting'. Honestly, if the only thing keeping you moral are a set of laws created by men and once those laws are lifted you decide to commit atrocities, you're not fit to be human in my book.
Fucking well said.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Sun May 19, 2013 5:11 am

Such moral absolutes. Really the only thing keeping people from committing "atrocities" is an easily enforceable common law.
Keep 'em chained, boys!

vonunov

Post by vonunov » Wed May 22, 2013 4:46 pm

The only thing? You don't suppose there's anything else at all? Say, a desire to not harm others?
Meet me down by the railroad track.

Roxas

Post by Roxas » Wed May 22, 2013 9:08 pm

now where you do make a point of a desire to not harm others, its most likely in the end you will have to or die, in such situations,
unless you go into a safe room you made yourself
The problem with trying to be the bad guy, is that there is always someone worse

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Wed May 22, 2013 10:08 pm

Well I guess I should be honest and say not the only thing, there is such a thing as upbringing and such on but a desire to not harm others? What you're going to lie and tell me you've never desired to harm another human being?
Keep 'em chained, boys!

vonunov

Post by vonunov » Wed May 22, 2013 11:25 pm

No, I can't say that I've never wanted to harm another person. There isn't a complete lack of desire to harm others, but there is, for me, an overriding desire not to harm others unnecessarily. What I'm saying is that I don't believe there are all that many people who would do harm but for the law itself—at least not nearly as many as avoid it because they personally feel that it's wrong, or they feel the pain of others, or for some other reason that doesn't depend entirely on being told not to do it.

Now, the morality of these things is a separate topic that we could happily explore, but just to address one part of what you said, it seems wildly incorrect to say that the law is all that keeps atrocity at bay. Or do I have an overly optimistic idea of people?
Meet me down by the railroad track.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Thu May 23, 2013 3:08 am

Well it isn't so much the rules written on paper and more so the power of the government to enforce said laws. A monopoly on the use of force is essential to the functions of the state and when laws are written they usually focus on restraining people from committing certain acts. The fact that we have to centralize a force to stop, capture, and punish people for committing "atrocities" shows that it is in fact an issue with which we all must grapple with.
Keep 'em chained, boys!