Night Ops patches

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Ghost

Night Ops patches

Post by Ghost » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:10 am

I've been talking to a number of members here, and there seems to be a lot of interest in getting an "official" night ops patch. I'm willing to put in an order at one of these custom patch places, and then distribute them on here (with funds being used to cover costs of patch creation), but first we must decide on a patch.

I have worked with a few of the members on here to design a prototype patch, and i'll be adding a picture of it in the following post. If you want to submit your own design, feel free to post it in this thread. If you have critiques or suggestions for existing ones, post it! after this thread has been around for a while, i'll add a vote to this post, and we can vote on the one we want to use.

Any suggestions/submissions/ideas, post them here.

Edit: it seems that the board attachment limit has been reached. feel free to upload your MSpaint/photoshop creations to an imagehost and post the link. Or just vote for mine.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Ghost

Re: Night Ops patches

Post by Ghost » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:14 am

Ok, here's a very rough prototype of a patch that Myself, Teutoni, and Eden have put together:

http://oi49.tinypic.com/34zbupx.jpg

The top banner, obviously, simply says "Night Ops". The bottom banner says "Nos Possideamus In Nocte", which is latin for "We own the night"

The symbol is two crossed lockpicks, a hook and a c-rake, behind a dagger, an SOG Pentagon.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:59 am

I like it.

And shouldn't it be a wrench instead of a hook?
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:21 pm

I tried one with a tension wrench, but it just didn't look quite right. Same way with a flashlight - it just didn't seem like it would translate very well to a patch. So I ended up using two lockpicks instead. I figured that a hook and a c-rake best symbolized the duality of opping. One is used "hard and fast", to get it done as quickly and efficiently as possible, the other is used "slowly and stealthily", with precision and finesse being most important. I've always believed that opping is about finding that perfect balance between speed and stealth, based on whatever situation you're in.

Of course, it could be that I'm thinking way too far into these things... but most military patches have some sort of symbolism or deeper meaning, so I figured ours should be no different. :P

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:18 am

Makes sense. And you'll hear no argument over the SOG from me. :wink:
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Roxas

Post by Roxas » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:29 pm

pentagon hnngg
The problem with trying to be the bad guy, is that there is always someone worse

Schatten.Bären

Post by Schatten.Bären » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:55 am

Im no good with Paint or Photoshop, but I like the idea for a patch. I would definitely pay for one. Keep the ideas coming, if I have any I will gladly share.

mib

Post by mib » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:00 am

Neon green on black background seems to be the agreed colors of the "branch" so to speak.
It would be less crowded by forgoing the knife entirely, leaving only the insignia of the crosspicks, perhaps enlarged.
I think it's important to distinguish between a coat of arms design, which could be more elaborate on a guidon or pennant, versus a simple "service" patch ironed onto a uniform.
The only other suggestion I could think of is simplifying the motto to 'Carpe Noctem.' or even rendering it in English as 'Seize the Night.'

Secant
Admin

Post by Secant » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:33 pm

You could just use "We own the night." straight up, it's not trademarked or anything. You should probably chage the latin translation at least - the way that's been translated, it sounds as though we physically posess the night. That may well be true, but a better translation would be in the sense that we are "masters" of the night, or something like that.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:03 pm

I was thinking this would be closer to a unit patch, some of which are pretty elaborate. If more people would rather see the knife go, i'd be willing to get rid of it.

As for the text, i'm all for changing it to english. "We own the night" has been our motto of sorts for a long time, and i'd really like to stick with it.

Schatten.Bären

Post by Schatten.Bären » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:00 am

what's a unit patch?

Schatten.Bären

Post by Schatten.Bären » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:56 am

Unit patch is a good one, and as far as the quote I think Latin would be cool but the original saying fits the best, in my opinion, as it fits the whole. I feel that the only people worthy for the patches are the people who have been on ops before, specifically people with photos of them on the op.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:41 am

I'd be willing to let anyone who's a contributing member on the site here buy one - i know there are a number of guys who aren't too keen on posting pictures or doing dare ops, but who are excellent oppers none the less.

mib

Post by mib » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Something I threw together in MS paint, unofficial:
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (3.68 KiB) Viewed 77113 times

The Atomic Fishy

Post by The Atomic Fishy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:57 am

i like this one, but with the motto change.

idealy the offical one wont have my GIMP Freehand short bus font, but you get the idea
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (4.63 KiB) Viewed 77099 times
in a society that has abolished all adventure, the only adventure left is to abolish that society.
NO hobo codes-http://no.surgen.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=6527#p6527
Op tag: ATOMFIS

mib

Post by mib » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:37 pm

I chose the wrong shade of green but you get the idea.
The hexagon could be replaced with a pentagon and in that way represent the idea of the knife from the original, or maybe just CIA secrets. Every image should stand for something.

Secant
Admin

Post by Secant » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:36 am

For reference, "Night Ops Green" is #02d21e.

blackbear

Post by blackbear » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:31 am

I know this is an old thread so I hate to revive it unnecessarily, but did anything come from this? I'd be really interested in helping with something like this, I'm a graphic designer by profession so if anyone was still interested I wouldn't mind putting together some vector patch designs.
Spies aren’t trained to fight fair. Spies are trained to win.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:37 am

Well they are still being worked on. The only reason we don't already have them is a lack of spare cash. However this will hopefully rectify soon so you may get a PM.
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:22 pm

Black Bear, like Teu said these are only on hold due to a lack of cash right now. If you'd like to try your hand at designing one, or cleaning up my sloppy MS paint drawing, feel free. The better we can get these looking, the easier it'll be to get prototypes made later this year.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:29 pm

Could we get a count on how many people are interested in purchasing a patch or two?
Keep 'em chained, boys!

mib

Post by mib » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:59 am

This is the concept I was turning over in my mind for a long time, I finally just traced it and scanned it into the computer.
It obviously needs refinement but what the hell.
Attachments
Image.jpg

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:11 pm

That's really nice. I'm a fan.
Keep 'em chained, boys!

mib

Post by mib » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:40 pm

Glad you like it. The problem with full length picks is that they looked cumbersome when crossed, so I simply cut the traced shapes in half at the handle and it looks more symmetrical that way.
Now I'm thinking I need to somehow turn up the contrast or vectorize the rough outlines, turn them green and dye the rest black.

Eden

Post by Eden » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:35 am

mib wrote:Glad you like it. The problem with full length picks is that they looked cumbersome when crossed, so I simply cut the traced shapes in half at the handle and it looks more symmetrical that way.
Now I'm thinking I need to somehow turn up the contrast or vectorize the rough outlines, turn them green and dye the rest black.
Very much liking the idea of the signature "NO green and black"
I'll tell you a secret...The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again.

mib

Post by mib » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:09 pm

Very much liking the idea of the signature "NO green and black"
Yes, well that's one of the only things we've hashed out so far for the "official" insignia.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:44 am

Well definitely keep up the good work. Luckily nothing has to be decided on until there is enough spare cash to purchase them.
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:44 pm

I love to necro threads. The older the better.

The smartest, most reasonable thing anyone would do is not to add any identifying marks/patches/signatures/insignia to their gear. Because patches on your vest are mall ninja and I know it, no matter how much I want a nice NO velcro patch. But perhaps, if we theoretically really didn't care about that, I can propose this design instead - as a keepsake, rather than something you attach to your gear. It might look nice if properly made. Lots of small details and shit, so making it the way it is will probably be impossible... I made this in 30 minutes please don't judge.
Patch Proposal.png
I have a full transparent PDN with layers and all. So I can change anything whenever I want. Let's get this going again.
And I stole mib's lockpicks.
Don't take it too seriously, you're not coming out of it alive.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:35 am

Neat. I should try drumming up a design or two when I have the time, but I've got a lot on my plate at the moment.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:45 am

Here's a random update: NOPCON skill tabs for those who attended will be inbound very soon. A general Night Ops patch will follow shortly.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:17 am

Groovy.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:44 pm

Ghost wrote:Here's a random update: NOPCON skill tabs for those who attended will be inbound very soon. A general Night Ops patch will follow shortly.
Finally! Action. What are skill tabs again?

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:22 am

They're like perk points in Skyrim and you can spend them to upgrade your lockpicking or agility or whatever.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:53 pm

Ghost, I know you like to take your time during ops but 8 days is a new record.

Edit - September 5th, 2015.
*cough* 14 days.

*COUGH* 39 days.
*COUGHCOUGH* 7 MONTHS days.
Last edited by Lynx on Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:02 pm

I know it looks retarded at the moment, but maybe something like this? This looks more like a morale patch. Are we going for something more symbolic?

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:31 am

I'd prefer something more... elemental/symbolic. Night Ops is about the art, not the tools.