SHTF / TEOTWAWKI

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.

If civilized society stopped being civil...

I consider myself well prepared, at least as much as one can be...
No votes
I have made some emergency preparations, but need to do more.
50%
I haven't made any preparations, but i feel like it would be smart.
50%
I don't feel the need to prepare for something like this.
No votes
I haven't thought about it/other (please specify)
No votes

Total votes: 2

Ghost

SHTF / TEOTWAWKI

Post by Ghost » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:56 am

I've been wondering what night ops thinks about SHTF scenarios? Is this something you've prepared for with cached food/supplies, or by getting a bug out bag together? Or is it something you don't really care much for? To clarify, i don't mean a zombie apocalypse, just any emergency that would create massive social unrest or force you to think about leaving the area you live in a hurry.

I've got a lot of firearms, camping/survival gear, and nonperishable goods, but i haven't really set up a proper BOB yet. With the global economic situation the way it is, though, i'm planning on fixing that problem quickly. The only thing i don't have at the moment is a long term sustainment plan set up, which is going to be tough because i don't have a specific location set to bug out to.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Psychlonic

Re: SHTF / TEOTWAWKI

Post by Psychlonic » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:16 am

I live in a pretty small area with the ability to be self-reliant if need be so it's hard to weigh in on this. Generally, most scenarios would have me just staying where I am and living "normally" albeit disconnected from everywhere else. All scenarios where I'm placed in danger would basically mean I need to leave this area entirely, no farm houses out of town or anything like that. In such a case, I'd have to rely on my survival pack to either recreate a small civilization for myself/small party or make it to a safe haven that might present itself.

"Survival pack" because it's not really set up with the intention to survive a few days and keep nature at arm's length anymore, like a BOB tends to be. I've put mine together with the bare bones equipment I'd need to potentially live indefinitely in an area, weighs just under 30 pounds with water. No matter what I'm doing or where I go, I use it without bothering to add or subtract equipment based on time and location. It's set up to supply minimal rations for a week - biltong, hard tack, peanut butter, honey, and parched corn. Cheaper than MREs, potentially lasts longer, and a better calorie to weight/volume ratio. Oh and no spoons needed to eat out of a pouch.

I don't have anyone I've planned to meet up with even though I know a few like-minded friends so I'd basically be riding solo if I couldn't link up with any of them in time. That's a potential disaster waiting to happen. In addition, a disaster happening in the winter time would severely stunt my ability to get food in certain terrains. I've gotten really good at gathering food when needed, but my biggest threat area is evergreen forest during the winter where most staple foods are not present and there's a big reliance on meat. There's a gigantic array of lichens and greens still available, some fruits and sometimes fish if there's a large enough body of water. But it's still the biggest gamble of all scenarios and the one I concern myself most with.

So am I prepared? Maybe. I honestly don't consider myself prepared. I certainly believe I have the ability to survive if I need to and do so a lot better than anyone I know in person or have seen on TV. But there's no telling if that's still enough until the day comes I actually need to do it. There's so much more to learn and get better at, most tests to put myself to, and more failures to overcome before I am fully confident that I can walk out and thrive no matter what happens or when it happens.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:23 am

Poll's still not working. I selected option 2; I've put a lot of thought into it, but will need to make more preparations to be secure.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Neurotic Anomaly

Post by Neurotic Anomaly » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:30 am

Poll not functioning for me.
I chose option two as well. SHTF/TEOTWAWKI is something I have put time and energy into, but I know this is not something you would ideally do by yourself.

The suburban area I live in is relatively small and any mass panic would die down in about a week to a week and a half. Anyone else would either be evacuated/organized/dead. I have decent self-sustainability, but the thought still scares me.
שד ציד

Lucian Neo

Post by Lucian Neo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:44 am

I really need more, But what I have will suffice. most people around here will be out of my way. One way or another. the thought doesn't really scare me, and at times I do wish something of the like would happen. I basically tell myself, do what you can, if something happens that is out of your control, what can you do but roll with the punches?
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the hell is the ceiling?

People are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs;)

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:45 am

I was chatting to Moddy about this last night and was wondering what sort of bag would be suitable as a BOB (Bug Out Bag)? I'm not really a fan of backpacks, so I was either thinking of a duffel or messenger bag like this. Duffels typically have more room, but that messenger bag is more convenient to carry and is just large enough to hold all the essentials (weapons/SD gear, survival equipment, money, supplies, etc). Plus those detachable MOLLE pouches & extra spaces make it easier to organise gear (medical supplies, food, etc).

Thoughts, guys?
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Celtisch

Post by Celtisch » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:05 pm

Not to change the pace here, but why is it that any vote I try to cast is an "invalid option". Does phpBB just have a specified post count before a user can vote or something? :/
"The problem with quotes found on the internet is that they're not always accurate."
- Abraham Lincoln

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:10 pm

Celtisch wrote:Not to change the pace here, but why is it that any vote I try to cast is an "invalid option". Does phpBB just have a specified post count before a user can vote or something? :/
If there is then I need to up my post count :wink: I think it's just an error with phpBB, admittedly it wasnt always like that so I'm going to guess it was something rolled out with the new update.

Not a lot to worry about as there's quite a bit of work going on behind the scenes (the new forum structure is one example!) right now, so it should be rectified with the new website and new forum design pretty soon. The forum usually picks up in the spring, so it's all about getting everything running flawlessly by then at the latest - but things all appear to be in their final stages right now!
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Celtisch

Post by Celtisch » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:37 pm

Oh, that's fine... Just wondering.

Now, to change it back on topic... I would have voted for: "I haven't made any preparations, but I feel like it would be smart."
The thing with a civilized society collapsing from the inside is that that another country will likely try to take over, or someone from that country will pull it together, form a party, write a doctrine or something... However, in between when it is uncivilized I would say it would be smart to be prepared and at least have the skills necessary to survive on your own.

Xantos, that seems like a good idea for a "bug-out-bag." I think I would prefer a backpack, but the bag you linked does look nice too.

EDIT*
Oh yes, someone mentioned living in a small area above... I do, too. I live in an area where there is a lot of uncivilized forest (I'm actually out of town) so I would be a bit better off, being away from other people. Winter would be hard though since I don't know how to hunt.
"The problem with quotes found on the internet is that they're not always accurate."
- Abraham Lincoln