Anyone looking for a new blade?

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Psychlonic

Anyone looking for a new blade?

Post by Psychlonic » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:48 am

In case anyone has missed out, there's been a pretty bountiful crop of new blades pouring into the market that's low cost but high quality. Nearly any design can be had with good steel for under $50 and a lot of them are conveniently coated in black which I'm sure many of you will appreciate. Aside from the usual items from companies like Cold Steel and United Cutlery, other manufacturers like Kershaw, Schrade, and Gerber have been putting out tons of designs as of late in the $30-$40 range.

You might not NEED a new knife but if you WANT a new knife, now is a really great time to go shopping.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Re: Anyone looking for a new blade?

Post by Xanatos » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:30 am

There's one really sweet knife I want to get my hands on - a custom, double-bladed karambit made from 154CM stainless steel. But the dude who makes them isn't responding to my emails and I'm not sure I'd even be able to import one anyway.

Why is nobody responding to my emails lately? Do I smell or something?
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Spooky Alien

Post by Spooky Alien » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:12 pm

Where are good places to go knife shopping? I’m guessing camping stores and army surplus but idk outside of that.
“The safest route between two points is a shadowy line.”

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:48 pm

Flea markets, gun stores and online. That's all I can think of.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:44 pm

Online is overall the best shopping experience for quality carrying a decent price tag. You can and hopefully will stumble into better deals in stores, classified ads, yard sales etc. but the online market is consistent. If you're wanting something unique or just an added layer of security in avoiding a paper trail there are always ways of doing that as well.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Someone

Post by Someone » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:58 am

If you're looking for a dirt cheap blade, there's always the SWHRT9B (that's a mouthful) option, double edged, black coating on the blade and not to big nor short.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:56 am

I've had the HRT9B for over a decade now. Pretty reliable dagger for the price.

Someone

Post by Someone » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:02 pm

A decade, wow, it's even sturdier than I thought.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:34 am

It's not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed (so to speak) but being stainless steel it's easy to re-sharpen. The black finish is also surprisingly durable and so is the low-profile sheath. The rubberised handle is also extremely comfortable too and actually makes a great hammer for bump keys.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:02 am

Cheap stainless blades like that are usually fine for most usage especially in night ops as long as the design geometry itself isn't flawed. A lot of people act like lower quality stainless will break if you look at it cross-eyed. It's not my first choice, but it's also worth noting that I've seen D2 steel snap in half doing a job it should have been more than capable of thanks to poor heat treatment. If it works, it works, and ANY knife can fail.

BTW, not a big fan of S&W knives but I might opt for a SWHRT7LT myself. I like the aggressive tip a lot.

Spooky Alien

Post by Spooky Alien » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:35 am

I surpose all of these are better than the penknife I have now.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:43 am

Psychlonic wrote:Cheap stainless blades like that are usually fine for most usage especially in night ops
Given we're not usually batonning logs of wood, digging holes or sticking pigs, stainless works great for opping applications. I usually use my knife for cutting things but I've pried open locks & other things with my HRT9B before and it's held up nicely. The good thing about stainless, aside from its inherent corrosion resistance, is that it's cheap. You drop your stainless steel knife on an op somewhere and can't get it back? No matter, just buy a new one. Certainly beats losing/breaking a $400 custom-made 5120 carbon steel beauty signed by Doug Marcaida.
Psychlonic wrote:BTW, not a big fan of S&W knives but I might opt for a SWHRT7LT myself. I like the aggressive tip a lot.
The tanto with the glass breaker hilt? Looks like a nice little knife, although the handle seems a bit too slender for rough handling. I've got an MT2002 that I sometimes carry and, while it's a nice little fighting knife, it's not terribly easy to hold for someone with gorilla mitts.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:43 pm

I agree completely that 99.9% of the time, equipment should be picked such that there's no monetary or sentimental investment in it. Quality that you can afford to lose. Dropping a knife of course isn't optimal, but could be a lot worse. Plus if you have to rely on it to defend yourself, you can always completely destroy the knife with zero worries. Note that I didn't say "hide". Destroy.

Spooky Alien

Post by Spooky Alien » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:12 am

Shit, I was at a camping shop yesterday and saw a cheap knife and multitool combo but I left my wallet at home. Oh well, I will try to go to that place again soon and hopefully they still have it.