AJAX Chat issues

Tell us how we can improve the night ops forum. Your suggestions and complaints are welcome.
QuantumFisher

AJAX Chat issues

Post by QuantumFisher » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:37 pm

The chat has latency. Many are complaining.

EDIT: This discussion was split from the site upgrade bug reports thread. -secant
Last edited by Secant on Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split topic

TheBurnedMan

Re: Site upgrade bug reports

Post by TheBurnedMan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:58 pm

another suggestion, if possible I think it would be better if people had to type in a name of some kind before entering chat.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Eden

Post by Eden » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:09 am

I vote leave forced login out. People may have a reason for choosing not to do so.

That being said, I echo Xana's chat complaints. I miss my private tabs!
I'll tell you a secret...The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again.

TheBurnedMan

Post by TheBurnedMan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:46 am

just to be clear I dont mean forced login like you have to type in your username and password, but so you have to type in a name, any name, pretty much like how it was before.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:31 am

So basically we're saying... we want the old chat back. With a black background. :P
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

QuantumFisher

Post by QuantumFisher » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:45 am

Xanatos wrote:So basically we're saying... we want the old chat back. With a black background. :P
I believe that is the general consensus. It was actually better, as was concluded with the consensus.

Secant
Admin

Post by Secant » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:25 am

So let me get this straight:

1) the old chat sucks (http://nightops.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1544)
2) the new chat sucks

A new style for pfc ain't gonna happen. Seriously, download the 1.x source code and look at the php scripts which generate the css. What a clusterfuck. We'll have to do something else. Any ideas? I'd still rather we use IRC. Any web irc client could handle multiple channels, but would probably lack polish. That being said, a real irc client could be used to restore the premium chat experience...

Eden

Post by Eden » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:24 am

Secant wrote:So let me get this straight:

1) the old chat sucks (http://nightops.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1544)
2) the new chat sucks

A new style for pfc ain't gonna happen. Seriously, download the 1.x source code and look at the php scripts which generate the css. What a clusterfuck. We'll have to do something else. Any ideas? I'd still rather we use IRC. Any web irc client could handle multiple channels, but would probably lack polish. That being said, a real irc client could be used to restore the premium chat experience...
Let's do that. I don't need super pretty, I just would really appreciate not having to hit the whisper button any time I wanted a private conversation. When I inevitably forget to click it things get confusing fast...
I'll tell you a secret...The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again.

TheBurnedMan

Post by TheBurnedMan » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:07 pm

lol yes I did that a couple of times, irc sounds great to me

Secant
Admin

Post by Secant » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:25 pm

IRC it is, then. Let me see what I can do...

Secant
Admin

Post by Secant » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:52 am

OK, demo IRC server set up at:

irc://192.241.248.144:6667 #TheLounge

For now, you'll need an IRC client to connect, but I will set up a web-based client at some point. As this is just a demo, encryption is not configured - treat it as such. Please report issues in this thread.

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Started-with ... ay-Chat%29

Secant
Admin

Post by Secant » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:34 am

Web client is available at:

http://192.241.248.144:9090/

http://192.241.248.144:7778/

Give it a whirl and let me know if it has all the features you want.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:57 am

How do we sign in to the bloody thing? I've never used IRC before.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Secant
Admin

Post by Secant » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:28 pm

Xanatos wrote:How do we sign in to the bloody thing? I've never used IRC before.
Go to http://192.241.248.144:9090/ and put the nickname you want in the box. This chat is not tied to the forums, so you can use any nick you want. In the channels box, put "thelounge" then connect. You can private-message another user by typing

Code: Select all

/msg <nick> <message>
It will open a new tab on top for just that private conversation. If you want to join a different chatroom, you can do

/list 
to see all available rooms, and

/join <room>
to join one. If the room you're trying to join doesn't exist, it gets created automatically.

EDIT: If you want to get someone's attention, say their nick in the chat. Most IRC clients will flash or make noise when that happens.

vonunov

Post by vonunov » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:07 pm

Neat.

You can use 192.241.248.144:9090/?channels=#thelounge to have the field prefilled.

I've just now discovered the joy of Kiwi IRC (.com). I never have need of a web client, but you might look into it if you want something with a bit more polish.
Meet me down by the railroad track.

Secant
Admin

Post by Secant » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:30 pm

A better web IRC client (Kiwi IRC) has been set up. Please give it a try if you were unimpressed with the web client posted earlier:

http://192.241.248.144:7778/

Secant
Admin

Re: AJAX Chat issues

Post by Secant » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:25 am

Topic split into its own thread. Please continue the discussion here. For reference, here are the connection details for the IRC chat.

Web client: http://192.241.248.144:7778/

Direct connect: irc://192.241.248.144:6667 #TheLounge