How much of our information does the site keep?

Tell us how we can improve the night ops forum. Your suggestions and complaints are welcome.
NML

How much of our information does the site keep?

Post by NML » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:30 am

I understand we're not a gathering of criminals, and those criminals here are what one would define as "petty". We're not exactly cyber criminals either, there is no cracking/hacking/piracy/warez section to be found. Which is fine, because I don't need any extra attention for no reasons. But I was wondering how much information is kept about our personal lives, both here and in chat. If need be, I can make myself hard to target from an online perspective, just because I enjoy the romance of sneaking, but I want my odd habits to remain personal.

Xanatos

Re: How much of our information does the site keep?

Post by Xanatos » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:09 am

We don't ask for or record any personal information on this site; what's available is what you post.

Besides, everything said here is purely hypothetical anyway.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

NML

Post by NML » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:31 pm

So, it's the typical amount. Connection information such as IP, Time, Date, Location, cookies on our systems, and all the other stuff I can't think of right now. I questioned it because we have an active redirect system, which would help keep nightops from popping up on other website's logs as the location of origin that brought us to them. This makes me wonder about the spammers.

Also, I lie, consistently about my endeavors, and hail from Slovenia, and also am a master of photoshop, even good enough to counter error level analysis, then I inject false EXIF data.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:51 am

I'm actually a dog.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Secant
Admin

Post by Secant » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:30 am

Yes, nonet's web host keeps access logs, just as any typical web host provider would. The access logs include at least your IP, date of access, URL requested, status code, etc. So, assume anything you post here is public information. We are planning a move to a different server where logging can be controlled.

Also, watch what you say in the chatroom - if memory serves, those logs are never rotated.

NML

Post by NML » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:05 am

Thanks Secant.