Time to Consider Recruiting Options

Tell us how we can improve the night ops forum. Your suggestions and complaints are welcome.
Lucian Neo

Re: Time to Consider Recruiting Options

Post by Lucian Neo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:50 pm

OK, So I thought I would bring this up. I did a basic Google search for night ops (At a school that is), and this site was the first site to come up. This could be a good thing for recruiting. However, it could be a bad thing as some of this (As well as most of it) is on the illegal side. (In America anyway) ANYONE can make an account and see what this site is all about. So if you are going to recruit, I would suggest (And it is just that, a suggestion) That you step-up your security protocol. I'm not sure what more you can do. But it sounds like a good idea.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the hell is the ceiling?

People are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs;)

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:17 am

Lucian Neo wrote:OK, So I thought I would bring this up. I did a basic Google search for night ops (At a school that is), and this site was the first site to come up. This could be a good thing for recruiting. However, it could be a bad thing as some of this (As well as most of it) is on the illegal side. (In America anyway) ANYONE can make an account and see what this site is all about. So if you are going to recruit, I would suggest (And it is just that, a suggestion) That you step-up your security protocol. I'm not sure what more you can do. But it sounds like a good idea.
It's been discussed pretty heavily in this thread; and whilst I agree - the general consensus right now seems to be to open the forums up even further. (Public viewing of the NO and UE section) Should the forums be opened up further it's been discussed that members should be given a period of time to request the deletion of any threads; once again - this is specifically the "Night Ops and Urban Exploration" forum only. I advise anyone who cannot delete their own threads to report the post to a moderator; preferably using the "report" button - and then it will make thread deletion easier.

I think, back in 2005 or so, there was way more precautions regarding new members - alas now it's more accepted that we need to relax certain things to allow an intake of newer members. The bottom line is, users need to take a certain amount of responsibility for their own personal security. Now where this leaves users with a catalogue of posts that have been unfortunate enough to have used the same username elsewhere.. I'm not quite sure. Out of interest I googled an old members username last night to see if there was any stories regarding him online - and found his posts on several other forums, his steam account and some other bits and bobs... :roll: This is one issue that has been troubling me personally.

It may be an idea to work on some form of documents detailing best practice for PERSEC (personal security) - and have a timespan not only for users to request thread deletion, but too also ensure all areas of their PERSEC is up to scratch.

It's not an ideal answer I know, but unless there's another option - especially considering recent levels of activity when compared with past periods..
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:29 am

Moddy wrote:Out of interest I googled an old members username last night to see if there was any stories regarding him online - and found his posts on several other forums, his steam account and some other bits and bobs... :roll:
Oh dear, i certainly hope that wasn't me. I believe i used my "therin the hand" handle for steam, as well as some old stuff... :P
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:42 am

Therin the Hand wrote:
Moddy wrote:Out of interest I googled an old members username last night to see if there was any stories regarding him online - and found his posts on several other forums, his steam account and some other bits and bobs... :roll:
Oh dear, i certainly hope that wasn't me. I believe i used my "therin the hand" handle for steam, as well as some old stuff... :P
Let me clarify for everyone - it was a past member! :wink:
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Lucian Neo

Post by Lucian Neo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:51 am

I think that NO should be open, and looking, for new recruits. However, I think the security needs to be upgraded. I'm online here everyday for at least 5 hours a day, everyday. So I notice new threads that pop up and stuff of the like. Recruiting would be the easy part (as well as necessary) if you know where to look. (I ,personally, have no clue where to look) But security is a must. If you could put a lock, or security code on things like "Dare Ops" or anything you wouldn't want someone snooping around in. I know you have to be a member to see the dare ops, but lets face facts here, my 82 year old grandmother can make an account on here. I'm not saying that as if I'm worried she will (That would be slightly disturbing), it's basically just saying that ANYBODY can make an account, which would get them into the "Dare Ops" thread. So having to make an account is a small amount of security, but it needs to be stepped-up. You could even have something simple, For Example: Appoint someone who is on everyday to check on the "length" of time new members have been online. And after a certain time, have this moderator send a PM to this "New Recruit" and in this PM have it say the Password for the Dare Ops thread and where to locate the thread. This sounds rather simple, and effective.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the hell is the ceiling?

People are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs;)

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:41 am

The problem with increased security is that it tends to stifle new growth, and we're currently at a time where we need new growth just to stay alive. We used to have things vastly more secure around here, but the daily post count suffered for it. There were times when the entire forum would go days and days without a single new post, and new members were almost non existent.

My personal recommendation is to assume that law enforcement can and will read anything you put on here, and then tailor your posts accordingly. Some people choose not to post sensitive operations, while others rarely post any ops at all, like myself. In all honesty, as long as you're not talking about committing felonies, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Lucian Neo

Post by Lucian Neo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:51 am

Which is all 100% true. But what you have to do is find the right balance of being able to recruit and security, because If you get shut down after recruiting people, you lose all your new recruits, It makes the recruits just a waste. Both need to be updated and maintained,

Wowgnomes

Post by Wowgnomes » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:58 am

Zoklet.net is the modern day totse, we may be able to recruit from them

Secant
Admin

Post by Secant » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:43 am

Maybe this is a good time to bring up this thread. Maybe we could have some kind of post threshold before a new user could see the "real" Experiences forum.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:38 am

Secant wrote:Maybe this is a good time to bring up this thread. Maybe we could have some kind of post threshold before a new user could see the "real" Experiences forum.
Seems like a good idea - I guess as it wouldn't be immediately visible, it wouldn't actually go against the "streamlining" of the forum as such - because those who can see it will have been here long enough to fully understand it.

It takes a fair bit off of my mind, as despite me doing what is essentially pure UE - perhaps, to quote the main website, "to the extreme" - I've done one or two things that could easily be considered Landmarks in the area (a specific power station and a site right next to an airport). The reasons for this dilemma of mine is the fact that it's olympic year, security is tighter - yet I don't have any intentions of taking a break.. I also think it would enable a frank discussion regarding access methods used in specific experiences: I try and keep to a minimum what I avoid posting, but in the case of certain sites I don't feel comfortable giving away full details of "Well, I accessed through x - if you look at this picture from streetview - you can clearly see it". Even from an Urban Exploration point of view, despite all the morals and ethics (which, thankfully - this site has progressed beyond. Remember the dreaded discussions a few years ago?! :roll:) which they preach - it's not uncommon to hear discussions in person or in private where less than ethical methods are employed.

It would also enable us to workaround the issues regarding giving members a window to request specific threads to be deleted - which I hinted at above. Any threads that a user feels uncomfortable with having on display could simply be moved to new

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Well guys, I can't say the changes that have happened are anything like I wanted or even suggested. We're oversaturated with mods now and the place feels like an image board instead of a night ops location. It was funny the first couple of times slamming blatant kewls with images but now it's just repulsive to me. If you guys (all 6 or so of you) want to keep the place active (kind of) even if that means totally taking a shit on the purpose of the board in the first place, that's cool. But I'll be bowing out. I'm in the minority so I'll let you guys do your thing and hey you might even grow. But personally, I'll be where the actual night ops are, which isn't here anymore.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:13 pm

This thread has been dead since 2012, so once again, sorry for the necro.
I found nightops.net through /asp/ on 4chan. The thread was "Urban Exploration Stories" or something in that matter. They provided links to many different sites, one of the was this place.
/asp/ seemed to be one of the only boards not yet consumed with rampant autism, so i would suggest looking in there and making some threads about us. Most people have heard of urban ex, we have yet to show them the darker flavor.
I'm still not too heavy on 4chan being a recruiting option, It's not really full of quality people these days - many would come here and call us out for being wannabe ninjas, or tacticool twelve year olds.
I say take a gamble and promote ourselves on /asp/ a bit. Lots of martial artists there as well. We can always use some of those.

EDIT: http://boards.4chan.org/asp/res/288966

The only current thread for us, and It's not linking anywhere.
Don't take it too seriously, you're not coming out of it alive.

Secant
Admin

Post by Secant » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:41 am

Watch it, zombies will show up if you aren't careful with this necromancy. Did you draw the proper summoning signs?

4ailchan is full of lamers. For every single serious poster we'd get many trolls. I won't say *don't* recruit from 4chan, but ffs be judicious.

Maybe it's a good thing this thread was necro'd, I had completely forgotten about our manifesto. Now that the redesign is done, maybe it's time to revisit?

Code: Select all

Updated frontpage/site design is required and needs to be finished ASAP
Done, fucking finally.

Condense forums so that three main night ops forums exist (their names may change):
    - Experiences (with Dare Ops subforum)
    - Gear
    - Technique
Done.

Reputation system to reward quality posters (careful with this one!)
No clear plan for implementation on this one...

Badge system so people can show off a bit and be more engaged. Signatures will most likely be used.
Also no clear implementation plan.

New policy: call out bullshitters. Don't be rude, just tell it like it is - be mature about it. Mods will play a large role in giving legitimacy to this stance in the minds of regular members. Eventually, an attitude of skepticism will prevail in the general population.
Onging, forever I guess.

Specialized "Bad Ideas" mod class opened. These moderators are responsible for the Bad Ideas forum only.
    - Global moderators have standing orders not to touch BI unless a BI mod is not available (e.g. in case of a spam attack).
    - Psychlonic will be the first BI mod, Moddy will be a new general mod.
I think we stopped doing this. Does anybody still want to continue with this, or make global mods the policy again?

Experiences and Dare threads will be made viewable to the public. New/popular ops will be linked to on the site's front page.
    - Before Experiences is opened, users will be given a chance to remove their posts if they want to.
Holy shit, forgot about this one. I'm still not sure it's a good idea honestly...

Threads will NOT be pruned from any forum. However, linking to these threads instead of actually discussing a topic will be discouraged.
I think this is done.

Thread archival: exceptional threads will be archived by converting the information they contain into the form of an informational PDF which can be put in the Resources section. Threads will not be archived.
Yes, we should be doing this. Any candidates come to mind recently? Apart from NOPCON threads obviously.

"Plugging" the forum on other sites is allowed where it is contextually appropriate.
Like I said, discretion and judgement please.

- A mass email will be sent out once the revamped site and forum has been released. Moddy has given us the use of his host's mailserver - thanks!
Didn't do this, and it's a little late now.

Also want to add a few more:

Move to a hardened VPS and become self-supporting via user donations. Require HTTPS.

Provide secure chat services, while maintaining high quality user interaction.

mib

Post by mib » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:40 pm

It's a shame so many senior people went away and never returned. Old timers I guess. Maybe they lost interest.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:42 pm

It really is. Every once in a while I find myself looking through the member list and thinking about all the guys who've come and gone around here. I know that there is no such thing as true permanence, but it's still very sad to have lost touch with so many guys.

All that said though, we've picked up a few really great guys in the recent years too. Guys who hold this community in very high regard, and would do a lot to ensure it's continuation here. I hate to sound cliche, but the future generation of oppers is probably the most important thing we can devote our time here to.

Eden

Post by Eden » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:53 am

I'm not sure I would consider myself a Necromancer, or anything, but...

I think we should revisit this, because we need to draw interest or this place will eventually die. And I'll be damned if I see that happen without a fight.
I'll tell you a secret...The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again.

Secant
Admin

Post by Secant » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:27 am

It has been necro'd once, it can be necro'd again.

All I can say is that my position on 4ailchan and social media has not changed.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:47 pm

In regards to that anonym.to issue in the Skeleton thread, I recall getting a newcomer in Chat some time ago (just before NOPCON I think) who found our site because somebody had linked some of his UrbEx photos in Chat. Might be a way to increase traffic if we remove it?

EDIT: Just read it's been removed.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Secant
Admin

Post by Secant » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:02 pm

Good old HTTP referer. So be it, it's better removed.

Absent

Post by Absent » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:29 am

I'm gonna go ahead and spread it around on darknedgy.net again, see if I can't get a few of those guys to join up.
Also, has anyone here ever heard of "steal this wiki" before? We're reviving it, so it'd be really cool if some of us on here
could write up a page (or a few pages) for the wiki. I think it would fit right in with the stated mission statement of being
a non-partisan anti-authority cache of information. See: http://blog.darknedgy.net/news/2014/12/31/1/

I think that'll both get another source of info to lead people here and also some of the members of DnE itself might
be interested, although I cant promise anything. I'll see what I can do, see what my buddies think and what not. I'll work
on starting a general introductory night ops wiki page I guess, and it'd be awesome if anyone here could help. We'll
definitely have it link here.

Absent

Post by Absent » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:14 pm

Bump.

Ok, I made a brief outline page on the wiki, and I'd appreciate some help editing it, if anyone here is interested. I remember someone on here mention steal this wiki a few years ago before the owner shut it down and got arrested for trying to build a bomb like an idiot lol. Anyway, like I said, we're riving it, and eventually we're gonna launch it. Until then, we're rewriting most of the pages, and this might be a good time to get night-ops some more attention. So, feel free to add some sub-categores or edit the definition or what have you here:

http://stw.darknedgy.net/index.php?title=Night_Ops

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:08 am

I expanded on the wiki entry, although we'd need to add more subsections (such as an Etymology and Night Ops.net specific sections). Heck, if someone can summarise the history of the site, we might even give Night Ops.net its own wiki page.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Absent

Post by Absent » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:16 am

I'll get a lot more work done when the semester is over next month, till then...