well is this book worth the money?

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Atarii-XV

well is this book worth the money?

Post by Atarii-XV » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:32 pm

well http://www.thinkgeek.com/books/nonfiction/b202/ this book is it worth the cash? (yes i am buying it :? )

CokeCanNinja

Re: well is this book worth the money?

Post by CokeCanNinja » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:48 am

Just get a free copy of the MIT guide to lockpicking.

Pentagonal_Iris

Post by Pentagonal_Iris » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:24 pm

Probably, looks like the best price you can get that guy on the net.

For me, the MIT guide is more than enough. In depth theory and guidance is cool and all, but... I only needed the basics to get started and then practice itself made all the difference in the world.

Atarii-XV

Post by Atarii-XV » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:23 am

and your synopsis is what PI?

Pentagonal_Iris

Post by Pentagonal_Iris » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:44 am

?
synopsis of what, the Visual Guide to Lock Picking?
I haven't read that, seems like most people have reviewed it very well and like it. I was just saying, if you want the book, it's probably worth the twenty bucks... I just know that for me, I wouldn't use it. The MIT guide was a great start and I can figure the rest out on my own. No need for anything else to sit on my bookshelf.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Wed May 11, 2011 1:42 pm

A little late to the topic, but I gotta go with Pentagonal_Iris on this. You can read books all day on picking and understand how and why it works, but you don't really "get it" until you just take the plunge and try it out for yourself. The ability to feel the tumblers and pins through your picks and get the perfect torque on your wrench is the most important aspect of picking and you can't hone that sense through reading. Once you do, however, it's simply a matter of learning how various locks work and using your ability to feel out the cylinder to adapt.

That said, the price is not bad and if you like collecting physical subject matter I would say go for it. Buy it more for the personal collection value instead of education, since you can learn what you need to for free online. If you're having trouble in a particular area, just ask and someone here can explain and/or point you out to an intuitive guide with pictures and instructions. This also pertains to picks, wrenches, and the homemade manufacture of both. Several members here make their own equipment - me included - to a good degree of success.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.