What would you do if...?

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Dethkreep

What would you do if...?

Post by Dethkreep » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:53 am

Question is pretty simple.

What would you do if you were on an op and you saw another person that was obviously "Opping" as well. You know right where they are or where they are heading and they have no idea you exist. Nothing concerning anyone else has happened. It's just you, them, and the night.

Personally, I would not try and contact them directly in any way. Even though I and most of you would be thrilled to meet another skilled opper, I don't think I would feel safe trying to contact and collaborate with a random person out at night. I know that sounds kind of weird since that is exactly what I am to anyone who see's me, but in the kind of extreme situation an op is I don't think it would be wise to try and contact a stranger. There is no way to tell what there motives are, or what they would do if some random guy tried to make contact with them in the middle of a very delicate and extreme situation. There actions would most likely be rash. I wouldn't blame them as mine would be too. If I were to put myself in there shoes and respond to that situation, the person trying to make contact with me would either end up chasing me (Given they were determined enough) or very hurt .

What I would do is probably follow them, keep a lot of distance but not lose them. I would try to learn as much as I could about them from their op and from there, try to think of a way to contact them indirectly. Maybe via a note, left in an obvious spot that was observed during that little bit of espionage.

What would you guys do?
"They do not see what lies ahead, when Sun has faded and Moon is dead."
-Gollum

The Soldier

Re: What would you do if...?

Post by The Soldier » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:59 am

being that the objective of my ops are never anything of consequence i would change my mission to observe, track/trail, and make inferances about them without interfering in anyways. the way i see it, if executed properly, it would be a gold mine of information.
"Every man dies, not every man truely lives"- William Wallace

"If it ain't rainin' we ain't trainin' "- U.S. Army Rangers.

"It is not enough we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required"- Winston Churchill

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:02 am

Yeah, I'd follow them too & see what they're up to. If they steal something I'd try and get a hold of it, probably by making them run to an escape route where they'd need their hands, forcing them to drop it. If they're trying to kill someone I'd try and find out why (probably through interrogation) and stop them if their target is innocent.

I want to know what you guys would do in that situation if another operator tried to make contact with you or you knew they were watching you, or if you knew you were being followed by another operator.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

The Soldier

Post by The Soldier » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:45 pm

i would also turn that into a game of matching skills by evasion and then try to do the "hunting the hunter deal"
"Every man dies, not every man truely lives"- William Wallace

"If it ain't rainin' we ain't trainin' "- U.S. Army Rangers.

"It is not enough we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required"- Winston Churchill

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:53 am

If I spotted another operative:
A year or two ago, the answer to this wouldn't been knock them out and take their gear, this is my turf. Now though I'd probably shadow them home/where ever they're going. Depending on their op (night op, black op, training, other), I might try to contact them in the daytime after tailing them to a public place. However is I see someone sneaking around at night I'd probably assume they were a thief.
If spotted by another operative:
I'd first try to lose them and circle back to observe them. Other than that I'd try to isolate myself physically (low roof, fence, etc) and talk to them if I don't sense any hostility.
These are what I THINK I'd do, I can't guarantee what I'd do in the field.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:50 am

I agree. I think when I'm in the field and come under pressure, I resort back to my more basic instincts. Sometimes it's necessary to fight these instincts, but it can be very hard. Humans usually only operate under a "Fight or Flight" mindset when under extreme pressure. But when on a Night Op, there is a third option and this is often the best. Obviously this is to keep calm and remain hidden.

Although that does not apply directly to this thread as we are implying you have been spotted. I think it deserves a mention.

If I was spotted I'm sure my first thought would be to try and lose them. Get a lot of distance first. Hide. Observe. And repeat when neccesary.

Although once again, things can change very quickly and different unforeseable variables may be involved. In these cases, different actions may be required. This is when staying calm and being creative really pays off.
"They do not see what lies ahead, when Sun has faded and Moon is dead."
-Gollum

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:21 am

The only time i found another guy out at night it was an amatuer car shopper out for the first time. My partner and i followed undetected for a while, and then we made contact by getting his attention with a sound and then stepping slowly out into an open area, halfway between us and him. we made sure to keep our manner unthreatening, and he came over when we motioned him to do so. we made introductions, and the three of us went to a more sheltered area to talk. He seemed to respond positively and have interest in us, but he never showed up again when/where we agreed to meet up at a later date.

Perhaps the sight of two guys in full opping gear was a bit frightening to him and he changed his mind, or maybe he just couldn't get out that night. After heavily opping that area over the next few weeks, we didn't catch sight of him again, so i seriously think that direct confrontation isn't a great method, even when you approach the situation delicately and have a skilled communicator with you.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:42 pm

Hah, I found a car shopper one time but it was during the day. Things might have been better off for the kid if it weren't for the fact one of the cars he was trying to open was MINE.

The guy was trying to open every car in this parking lot, so I got in my car, drove over to where he was, got out (car in middle of lot still) and asked/yelled if he found what he was looking for.

Never saw him again after that.

I think the funniest thing going through my mind at that point was the fact I "knew" this kid. I knew why he was probably out here and I knew exactly what he was trying to do, so on a level you just understand. It still pisses you off to a degree when it's your car, but shit happens. I'm probably the guy that's going to let trespassers off the hook when I'm older as long as they don't fuck anything up.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:17 pm

Psychlonic wrote:I'm probably the guy that's going to let trespassers off the hook when I'm older as long as they don't fuck anything up.
I know how you feel. On one side you want to fucking shoot whoever it is for trying to steal from you, but on the other side you can empathize with them, it sorta makes you want to pull them aside and say "now look, next time come up to the other side of the car, there's better cover and an additional escape route on that side"

Meh, when i get old i'd hope that corrupting my grandchildren with stories of my opping days will be enough to satisfy that itch.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

killdozer

Post by killdozer » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:50 pm

Therin the Hand wrote:
Psychlonic wrote:I'm probably the guy that's going to let trespassers off the hook when I'm older as long as they don't fuck anything up.
I know how you feel. On one side you want to fucking shoot whoever it is for trying to steal from you, but on the other side you can empathize with them, it sorta makes you want to pull them aside and say "now look, next time come up to the other side of the car, there's better cover and an additional escape route on that side"

Meh, when i get old i'd hope that corrupting my grandchildren with stories of my opping days will be enough to satisfy that itch.
Heh, you aren't the only one. Makes me wonder how my children and grandchildren will turn out...
----------------------------------------------------
Life bytes with a variety of sizes of teeth
(previously evil_0ne)
A.K.A porschenazi (tM)
R.I.P. Totse
-----------------------------------------------------

Rex

Post by Rex » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:25 am

Dethkreep wrote:Question is pretty simple.

What would you do if you were on an op and you saw another person that was obviously "Opping" as well. You know right where they are or where they are heading and they have no idea you exist. Nothing concerning anyone else has happened. It's just you, them, and the night.

Personally, I would not try and contact them directly in any way. Even though I and most of you would be thrilled to meet another skilled opper, I don't think I would feel safe trying to contact and collaborate with a random person out at night. I know that sounds kind of weird since that is exactly what I am to anyone who see's me, but in the kind of extreme situation an op is I don't think it would be wise to try and contact a stranger. There is no way to tell what there motives are, or what they would do if some random guy tried to make contact with them in the middle of a very delicate and extreme situation. There actions would most likely be rash. I wouldn't blame them as mine would be too. If I were to put myself in there shoes and respond to that situation, the person trying to make contact with me would either end up chasing me (Given they were determined enough) or very hurt .

What I would do is probably follow them, keep a lot of distance but not lose them. I would try to learn as much as I could about them from their op and from there, try to think of a way to contact them indirectly. Maybe via a note, left in an obvious spot that was observed during that little bit of espionage.

What would you guys do?
Somewhere there is a similar post where someone did encounter a couple of other people opping, and for the life of me I can't find it.

Resurrecting this thread rather than starting a new one (in hopes that someone else remembers the other post and can link it).

In response to the original post:
If it were me, I would just silently watch until they were out of sight, then continue with my own op.
Let's face it. We aren't getting any younger, and nighttime ops never gets old.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:31 am

They would become my new op for the night.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:35 pm

Well... If I was put into the scenario, without being hypothetical, I believe I'd actually try to make contact with the operative.
Of course, I'm not dumbass enough to yell "Hey guys!" to a bunch of men in overalls and 3-hole masks shoving things into a white van. But if I saw someone 'casually' opping, I'd try to say hi in some way.
I don't know what they might be up to, and saying hi might be the dumbest thing to do, but... Night oppers are so rare. Meeting someone with a common interest would be... Amazing, to say the least. Someone who you don't have to recruit prior to opping with them. Imagine meeting a random Ghost or Xana running around. Would be fun.

Watching them and laying low would most likely be the wisest choice, of course. But wouldn't it be interesting?
Don't take it too seriously, you're not coming out of it alive.

Rex

Post by Rex » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:44 pm

Several years ago, heck...maybe even as little as 4 years ago I would have answered differently.
I would been all up for changing plans and observing the other oppers in action.

Today I figure that if they don't sense my presence, and they appear to have not seen me, then I might as well continue on with my own op.

My reasoning is that one of three things have taken place:

(1) They didn't see me. I can go on about my op.

(2) They did see me, but thought I didn't see them. I go on about my op.

(3) They are there to distract me from others. I will STILL continue my op.

* My mindset is going to be that it's (3) and I can look forward to being ambushed by others if I abort my own op to shadow them. "Curiosity killed the cat".
If I continue about my own business, I have time to access the situation more thoroughly.
I can re-access/re-plan my best exit from my current op,
think over the best route(s) to lose a possible shadow,
decide whether to crash somewhere outdoors... etc... (you get the picture).

And I have kept moving until daylight to crash out in the weeds before.
Let's face it. We aren't getting any younger, and nighttime ops never gets old.