Rolls

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Kaze

Rolls

Post by Kaze » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:42 pm

Rolling is always a good way to drop from height, and land without damaging yourself. Possibly the best people to ask about roll landings are people who practice Parkour.

Now, I've watched and read many a tutorial on proper rolls but I still can't seem to do it. I do exactly as I see, but the experts say if you get pain ANYWHERE (In my case, the shoulder) you're doing something wrong.

Any advice?

But my problems aside, you should all practice rolling, you need know when you need to jump from height to exit quickly, avoid detection, or indeed escape. And when you're in any of those situations, the last thing you want is a broken ankle.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:20 pm

I do some parkour but I roll with my forearm then onto my back you best bet it to learn from an experienced traceur (person who does parkour) or a martial artist (I recomend judo or ninjutsu rolls). Ninjutsu rolls are small tight, compact and quiet when done well. Judo rolls will really reduce damage to your body, and are great for higher heights and hard throws (remember its judo).

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:26 pm

Try looking at some parkour sites to get some ideas and see what works for other people, and then just start practiing yourself. when i started doing parkour, i practiced a couple different rolls every day after school with a friend, for a couple hours a day. once you do a couple hundred, you start to get a pretty good idea as to what works for you and what doesn't.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Red Silhouette

Post by Red Silhouette » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:42 pm

my rolls, however untamed and extravagant they are, seem to work well for anything i've needed to do before.

basically just drop down and onto your side, and let your body go where it wants to from there.
Formerly Silhouette
-=-
Just a lost soul searching for purpose

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:12 pm

Red Silhouette wrote:my rolls, however untamed and extravagant they are, seem to work well for anything i've needed to do before.

basically just drop down and onto your side, and let your body go where it wants to from there.
Be careful when you do that..
It's easy to mess that up and just hurt your legs and side.
Make sure you guide your roll across your hands/arms then to your shoulder and finally diagonally across your back and onto your feet (preferably your toes so your ready to move where ever).
I'm all for natural movement but its kinda risky to let your body determine your roll with out serious training that makes it instinctive. I personally don't recommend that...
But thats just from what I've done myself...

nobody

Post by nobody » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:54 am

I tried rolling on carpet and wood, just from being stationary for about a month without making much progress.

What will make you immediately see progress is:

Go to someplace where there's concrete, and a ledge (You know those ledges sometimes on the side of sidewalks?) that's 4 or 5 feet tall.

Run and jump off it, and roll.

You won't die doing this (I didn't.), and the WORST that can happen is that the concrete comes in contact with one of your vertebrae, which hurts. A lot.

Rolling on carpet and wood just doesn't get you anywhere.