Distance running

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Dethkreep

Distance running

Post by Dethkreep » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:01 am

I joined my cross-country team at school. I'm a senior, and I mainly did it as a chance to get in shape for opping, and to get a varsity sport on my college resume without having to try out XD.

But anyway, I've been running for almost three weeks and I can say I could run probably 12 miles at a good pace without stopping, up and down hills. (We run in a forest preserve). I think being able to run distances like this could be very helpful on ops where you know the target can be a considerable distance away. I think it would also Improve your overall cardiovascular endurance allowing you to keep going in times of extreme and prolonged heart activity.

I was wondering if anybody else here runs as a method of training for ops, and what advantages it shows on ops.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:13 am

Running is one of the best things you can possibly do for yourself to get in shape for ops (or just life in general). It's something i'll promote for as long as i'm here on NoN.

The best advice i could give to someone getting serious about it is to experiment around and find a breathing pattern that works best for you.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:48 pm

Yeah, one thing that has changed since I started running is my breathing pattern. I was getting tons of cramps and I figured out it was from a bad breathing pattern. Now I take deep inhales, with a quick extra little intake at the end to get all the air I can in one breath. Now when a cramp starts it usually dissapates pretty quickly.

Another thing we do on the team is run about 200m at race pace, then sprint about a 55 degree incline hill about another 200m. I did four of these today and it's been the hardest work-out I've done with them yet. I think these are the type of workouts that would get me in shape for ops. Hills can really tire you out, but if you can take em no problem, that's another great advantage.

I need to work on my sprints too.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:15 am

Dethkreep wrote: I need to work on my sprints too.
They're good for more than just training 8) .

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:45 am

Indeed, and I believe I have potential at having sprint speed on my side. Im 6'4 with very long legs. God gave me a sprinters body, I should definately put it to use.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:47 pm

Dethkreep wrote:Indeed, and I believe I have potential at having sprint speed on my side. Im 6'4 with very long legs. God gave me a sprinters body, I should definately put it to use.
I have the same body type, tall and wiry, great for sprints. Don't waste it.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:28 am

Yeah, I'm not satisfied with my body at the moment. I'm only 6'4 as well as being only 155 pounds. Im trying to gain some muscle, and muscle endurance which is why I am running. I've noticed some considerable muscle build-up in my leg muscles, especially the quads.

My main concern is that because I'm so tall and skinny, I wont have enough strength to keep my body under control. I've never been one of those kids that is terribly uncoordinated, Im actually very coordinated, especially in the speed of my arms and reaction time. But for Ops, I think I need some extra endurance, muscle build, and balance to make me as efficient as possible out in the night. Running is definately helping with this. I also supplement it with a good upper-body workout every other day.