The importance of crawling

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
stealththief

The importance of crawling

Post by stealththief » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:18 pm

Crawling is a great way to move on night ops. I feel it isn't appreciated enough. Crawling lowers your profile dramatically, puts you under eye level, and lets you hide in the thinest shadows and behind the lowest cover. The idea of crawling on your belly isn't usual to everyone but every good operative knows that crawling can be the best skill ever learned in terms of movement. Crawling also makes camouflage work so much better whether in the snow, woods or desert as well. Don't over look crawling, on damp ground its virtually silent.

mib

Post by mib » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:45 pm

Even on crunchy ground it's the most quiet way to go if you do it right. a position like this works well:

Code: Select all

http://sill-www.army.mil/pao/photos/020131/CRAWL.JPG

nomadx

Post by nomadx » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:59 pm

couldn't find the youtube video, but...

i once saw how its done by swat snipers.

even in an urban environment its possible to use camoflague, the key to using it effectively is my minimizing movement. the snipers laid flat on their stomaches face down, with their hands at their sides. the only thing that moved was their feet. by slowly propelling forward (its the same movement as standing on your tip toes) with this slight movement they stayed camoflauged. its a very slow movement, and after each step theres a pause.

Borninshadows

Post by Borninshadows » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:13 pm

Another way is to pull with your hands straight out, and push with your knees. The side of your face is to the ground.
That is the Army low crawl. It was my favorite when I was a Ranger.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:02 am

I realize the importance...ugh just watch out for dog shit when you are...

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:13 pm

Yea, keep aware, there seems to be soo much more when you're on your belly.

mib

Post by mib » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:19 am

Or in my case goose shit. I remember vividly the sliminess and the surprisingly good smell, like fruit or something. I thought nothing of it and only discovered it days later. man does it cake!

GothicNiNjA

Post by GothicNiNjA » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:39 am

to help with all your crawling techniques i suggest stretching your calfs alot so you can get your feet as close to parallel with your shins, that way you can get lower and still have great traction, and do really wide pushups to isolate the muscles used for the low wide motions and improve your speed/endurance while crawling, i try to use different parts of my hands/ fingers to build strength
Chaos is Beauty