Various climbing techniques

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
stealththief

Various climbing techniques

Post by stealththief » Sun May 18, 2008 9:30 pm

Here's a compilation of climbing techniques that have worked for me in the past and that I continue to train, most can be done quietly with a little practice. Yea I know some over lap with the two person techniques but I posted this on another forum as well.

Overbar: This is where you hold a ledge or bar in a pull up grip (if it's a wall have your back to the wall), pull up and at the same time you kick your legs upward and around the ledge/bar. If it's a ledge your legs should go around about 270 degrees landing on the roof (or whatever is on the top of the ledge). For a bar you go 360 degrees but you end up holding yourself up on arms putting you in an easy position to stand or sit on it.

Wall run (vertical)/Shoten no jutsu: Useful for reaching the top of walls or getting higher than your normal jumps allow. Run towards the obstacle you're going to scale at a medium fast pace. Jump at it and when you are close enough put your dominant foot against the wall and kick off (upward) with the ball of your foot (or the entire foot if you're that flexible). Grab the top with your hands and pull up into whatever it is you just climbed up.

Lizard style climbing: This is basically climbing for flatter surfaces with hand holds and footholds. You climb with your legs and arms but have your body almost touching the wall, this lowers silhouette and makes it less likely to be noticed from farther away. Somewhat slower that regular climbing.

Spread eagle/spider walk: This is done in between two walls or trees or whatever. You get in between and push into the surfaces with your arms enough to be able to hold your weight. Once this is done lift your legs and press them into the surfaces and lift the arms. Alternate between arms and legs going higher each time. (You can use this to come down also).

Plank style climbing: This type of climbing is also done in between two walls, but with a larger gap. Place both your hands on one side. Then lift one leg and press it into the wall behind you, follow it with the other leg. You should be in a plank position (body flat), once you've achieved this raise alternate arms and legs and replant higher. (You can use this to come down also).

L-sit/pharaoh climbing: This is used for wall gaps as well. You put on leg against the wall in front of you and the alternate hand on the wall behind you at around hip level. Press into the walls as you do the same for the other arm and leg. You should be sitting in mid-air supported by your arms (behind you) and your legs (in front of you). From this position you walk up with your legs and have your arms do the same.

Ladder climbing: When climbing a ladder if possible either press into it to reduce silhouette or climb between the wall and the ladder to create a false silhouette that looks like the wall comes out to support the ladder.

Two person hand boost: I'm sure you've all seen this at some point. Person 1 holds their hands together with fingers interlocked while crouched. Person 2 uses the interlocked hands as a step and person 1 stands up completely raising person 1 higher.

Two person shoulder stand: This one is a bit tougher. Person 1 crouches near a wall or tree or something. Person 2 gets on their shoulders (standing) and braces themselves against the wall (for balance) while person 1 stands up.

I hope these help you guys out. If I find out more I''ll post them too.

GothicNiNjA

Post by GothicNiNjA » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:32 pm

heres another 2 man climbing technigue ive only ever had to use once, well its basisaclly you and your partner are back to back and you interlock elbows and then both of you have your feet against oppisite surfaces and both slowly "walk" up together, this requires good teamwork patience and a level head, if one of you starts to panic you could both fall and get hurt, i had to use it because the "load"we were carrying was to heavy for one of us to get over the ten foot stone fence, (perfect for a wall run though) so me and my oping buddy found a set of trees a ways down the fence s but we had the load tied to our waists with a strong quick release knot, this is a very strong technique, you can climb with much much heavier loads then single oper, so when we could clear the fence we began swinging the load back and forth until i thought we could huff it over then relaesed the knot and over the fence the load went, then we climbed down (its hard to both of you to be able to "jump" out of that situation) then wall ran retrieved the load and continued
Chaos is Beauty